#1 Shy Ted

Shy Ted

Fuck you, thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

question for you experienced gorilla growers,

I've found a cracking spot for a gorilla grow next year, a glade in a woodland away from all civilisation,

and south facing, so gets the sun nearly all day

but....I will have to wade through about half acre of nettles to get to the back of this plot,

I ventured in a bit today, got stung to hell and I'm still itching now,

I've read that moleskin trousers are nettle proof, can anyone confirm this,

or give me any other alternative, I thought of fishing waders, but apparently they don't stop nettles.

cheers.

• Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides, FoxyLady and 2 others like this

#2 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Waxed jacket/trousers, Barbour style?

They're properly thorn proof, so they should stop nettles.
  • The Dude Abides, duke, Shy Ted and 1 other like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Rubber chest waders will sort you but youll get some funny looks if its not near a fishing peg :blink:

if its that bad then leather is good and a bit sexy with it or simply double up in your kegs, long sleeved shirts and either marigolds or leather gloves. :)

ps and keep your eyes out for doc leaves to rub any bits that do get nettled :)
  • Mrs Willy, mellowed, Dekay and 6 others like this

#4 Nun

Nun

Mad High At Times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

You can get thorn proof strides but I find wrangler jeans are thick enough denim to bounce the nettles off.

But here's my 2p - after a few years guerrilla I don't go wading through nettles anymore.

I just don't need to, and if I'm going to make that much of a trail 

then might as well just plant them at 'this' end of it.

(I would use the 'front' edge of the nettle patch)

IMO picking a grow site should never be about physical suffering to get there

I know people say it is

but they're not necessarily right and they might just be perverts.

:)

edit : ...and another thing, about South-facing obsessions…..

Hold a flat surface at ground level to face the South Pole 

it points at the ground in a southerly direction.

You really want your patch of ground to face the sky, ie. upward-facing

another myth busted!

Seriously though if the southern skyline has trees it probably doesn't matter.

I've seen good bud grown in semi-shaded spots. 

Edited by Nun, 10 September 2014 - 10:47 PM.

• Mrs Willy, Budgie, Dekay and 5 others like this

#5 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

I think all geurilla growers should dress up as rambo when going to their plots.

You are much more likely to get off in a court of law... if they think you are a mixed up viet war hero.

If you say your name is john rambo, then its plain sailing imho.

• Budgie, mellowed, Dekay and 12 others like this

#6 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

I use waterproof trousers and jacket, stops them every time.

I found that just cheap ones like regatta will do the job just as well as berghaus or whatever, just they get torn on brambles if you are not carefull. Just carry them in a back pack until you get close to the spot, then check to see if anyones about, then quick change and plunge in, dont forget your gloves!

Worst problem I have is fighting my way through the nettles in 30 degree heat and waterproofs, you will come out as wet as you can get due to sweat and condensation!

• Budgie, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 3 others like this

#7 Shy Ted

Shy Ted

Fuck you, thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

I use waterproof trousers and jacket, stops them every time.

I found that just cheap ones like regatta will do the job just as well as berghaus or whatever, just they get torn on brambles if you are not carefull. Just carry them in a back pack until you get close to the spot, then check to see if anyones about, then quick change and plunge in, dont forget your gloves!

Worst problem I have is fighting my way through the nettles in 30 degree heat and waterproofs, you will come out as wet as you can get due to sweat and condensation!

cheers slip, after some mooching on ebay, I think I'll get me some waxed cotton over trousers, there about £20,

and like you say i can just stick em in a bag and shove em on before I go in, with them and my 10 hole DM's I should be ok

I could get away with fishing waders as the woodland is by a river, but then I would have to carry some fishing gear with me as well,

I also thought of the luminous dayglow trousers that navvies wear, but to bright,

then like swilly said I looked at some ex-miitary DPM combats, but then I'd have to kill a load of dibble, and stitch my own arm.

I also looked at some leg chaps, but walking through an inner-city council estate looking like a cowboy might not be the best idea

I want to get to the back of the plot as the nettles will act as a good security barrier and stop any nosey kids on there 6 weeks hols next summer, stumbling upon them.

anyhoo I've got plenty of time to sort it, I'll probably go down in winter when the undergrowth has died down and prep a few areas before spring.

• Budgie, The Dude Abides and duke like this

#8 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

You could build up a tolerence to nettles by taking a few branches full home and get your lass to thrash you with them. ;) :P

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 11 others like this

#9 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

You could build up a tolerence to nettles by taking a few branches full home and get your lass to thrash you with them. ;) :P

True story ;)
  • Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 2 others like this

#10 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Remember that the soil will be nitrogen rich and may be a little hot.

Nettles are used for this purpose in organic farming/gardening for fixing N back into the soil structure.

They are also full of other trace elements that are beneficial for other plants.

Calcium. Magnesium. Iron. Potassium. Copper. Zinc. 

That's why they make such a great fertiliser.

They can be very high in Iron too. Stuff like Tomatoes don't like those elevated levels but I'm unsure about our crops :D

If the soil is not to hot for them, your guerillas should do well.

WT

• The Dude Abides, duke, Shy Ted and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.