13 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Bud

Krazy Bud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

I have never cured before I want to give it a go as my last outdoor was very poor quality, I have brought a hydrometer but it is stupidly inaccurate, I dried my crop until the stems snapped and put it all in a massive kilner with around 5oz in it which is about 3/4 full, I'm storing in room temp in the dark which is around 22-23c at a guess for how long and how often should I open the jar? Just until my replacement hydrometer arrives

#2 DrScrogger

DrScrogger

Totally Nucking Futs!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

That's not an easy one to answer without a hygrometer.

What I do is forget the stem snapping method as I usually over dry my buds. Once the outside of the bud feels crispy it goes into a jar whether the stems snap or not. Pop my hygrometer in there and check back in 6-8 hours. The RH WILL have risen so take it all out for an hour or until buds feel dryer and pop it back into jar for 6 more hours. Keep doing this until your buds get to about 62% RH and then don't open the jar again for 2 weeks minimum!!

Make sure you can see the RH reading through the glass tho because if it rises, you need to burp it. When it's burped, have a big wiff and if you smell any ammonia or anything bad smelling then take the lot out and just let it dry so it doesn't rot.

As long as your jar is clean tho this shouldn't happen. Make sure whatever you use has been cleaned with bleach first, rinsed thoroughly and is stone dry before you put the buds in.

The longer you cure your buds for, the sweeter, tastier and more potent the buds will be plus they'll burn more evenly and smoothly.

Enjoy dude :)

Edited by Krazy Dave, 15 October 2014 - 12:52 AM.

• KiefKat, brer, igiggle and 4 others like this

#3 Krazy Bud

Krazy Bud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks mate I will prob just open it once a day for half hour untily replacement arrives then
  • DrScrogger likes this

#4 brer

brer

Dodging the tar baby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Considering it's still wet ish, if you get me, i think you have to much in one jar. I get 3 Oz in the big kilner.

i go with the stem  snap method, and burp.

We can calibrate a hydrometer

• Krazy Bud likes this

#5 brer

brer

Dodging the tar baby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Just checked the big kilner its 3 litre, the math on that is an ounce a litre.

If you have 5 ounce in that jar and its  3/4 full I will guess its still wet.

KD gave you sound advice.. I'd  clean with alcohol and not bleach, or use hydrogen peroxide as houshold contains thickners.

I use isopropyl alcohol @ 99.5%. Similar to way bong users clean glass.

#6 DrScrogger

DrScrogger

Totally Nucking Futs!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Isopropyl alcohol will probably be best now I think about it. It's just harder for me to get hold of here so I use bleach :)
  • brer likes this

#7 brer

brer

Dodging the tar baby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Isopropyl alcohol will probably be best now I think about it. It's just harder for me to get hold of here so I use bleach :)

You can get it at he chemist KD. Panel wipe and acetone will do he job just as well.

Thanks you :)

#8 DrScrogger

DrScrogger

Totally Nucking Futs!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

They won't sell it to me here. I've tried 3 different pharmacies and told them I need it for cleaning computer components, cleaning camera lenses and even for making RSO oil. Nothing worked, Spanish pricks they are!!!

Edited by Krazy Dave, 15 October 2014 - 10:19 AM.

• brer likes this

#9 Krazy Bud

Krazy Bud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Yes Thankyou some great advice im not sure what litre it is but I'm sure it's dry enough the stems snapped there might be the odd bit of moisture left here or there.

Considering it's still wet ish, if you get me, i think you have to much in one jar. I get 3 Oz in the big kilner.
i go with the stem snap method, and burp.
We can calibrate a hydrometer

Thanks for this my cheap one hasn't got a calibration button but I am currently checking it as we speak. It turns out I think the cheap one is more accurate than the more expensive one that I trusted. Does anyone know of any sensible priced ones with a calibration button that are reliable??
Again Thankyou everyone for your help

#10 Krazy Bud

Krazy Bud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Sorry I am happy with the cheap small ones for curing but would like a recommendation for a larger one for the tent

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.