#1 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

Allo stoners

I'm thinking about making a little propagation box for the first week (2 weeks max) to get me seedlings going. It'll just be for when I'm drying in the tent.

I'm not really sure what kind of wattage I need though. I've always started under big lights.

I guess that say 45 watts of blue would be fine for the first week, but would it do any harm after that? If need be I can get a 100W .

I know with photoperiods there's time to get them right under big lights, but I might want to start autos like this as well so wouldn't want to stunt them with low light.

I also don't want them stretching beyond reason :)

Light will be 24/0

It's gonna be a VERY basic ting, as always with me. Passive intake and extraction, so it wouldn't be used for long.

It will be small, maybe 30cm tall, and will have only a few seedlings in it.

I'm not experienced with CFL so I'm not sure how much will keep them right for a week or so.

All suggestions very welcome

Cheers

• The Dude Abides, dafeengenna, RandellEl and 1 other like this

#2 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

I have 45 Watts (2 x 11 W + 1 x 23 W) of fluorescent in a space 28 cm x 28 cm, and that's fine for one plant for the first couple of weeks or so :)
  • The Dude Abides, Sprink and RandellEl like this

#3 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

Nice one Missy

I might go a bit bigger as it'll be 3-4 seeds in there. Maybe 65W would be alright for 7-10 days with 4 seeds?

Cheers

• The Dude Abides likes this

#4 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

I think it probably depends on how big the area is, with height being less relevant than width/depth because by the time they reach the edge of the space they'll be capturing all the light at the canopy.

Beware that not all lamps are created equal though, and they can provide quite different efficiencies as the power level changes. There's a table with some of that sort of information here: http://www.t-g-c.nl/...s-and-coverage/

I'd probably go for a couple of household compacts, rather than one larger one :)

If you're up for something a bit more complicated in terms of sourcing and assembly (and probably a bit more expensive) then have a look at Osram's Dulux L-HE tubes. They're super-efficient for fluorescent, producing 100 lumens/Watt (that's as good as low-Wattage halide and HPS), and they're short, starting at about 330 mm in length. You'll need some caps/connectors and control gear though.
  • The Dude Abides and Sprink like this

#5 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

Lovely, thanks Miss

I need it to be simples so I reckon a few 23W ones will do.

Cheers for the link to the table too.

#6 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

That sounds about right — A couple/three of those would probably work over something seedtray-sized.

In fact, a second tray, painted white and inverted, might make a reasonable reflector.
  • The Dude Abides and Sprink like this

#7 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,603 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

Some steady looking cfl`s here.

http://www.ebay.co.u...item4ac97df16f

• Sprink likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.