18 replies to this topic

#1 Lab Rat

Lab Rat

Silent runningz

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

I have to go away just after I crop again for a week & am thinking of setting up an auto curer, wondered if my idea will work.

Either that or was thinking of getting vacuum sealed containers & sucking all the air out till I return, then start curing?

My auto curing idea go's like this.

30litre sealed petfood container

One homebrew safety cork

air line & air pump + timer.

Also a co2 non return check valve on the airpump.

!Bwj,EE!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!iQEv1+0B32YBMJhuOr$_35.JPGcheck-valve-steel-3.jpg

Any thoughts? lol :wtf:

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 3 others like this

#2 ragnar

ragnar

Candles are FuN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

I think that's a fuckin awesome idea u deffo are a smartypants
  • Lab Rat likes this

#3 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Not tried the vaccuum thing, but i am a fan of changing jars for smaller ones, as the weed gets smoked and jars empty So less air = better cure im convinced.

Think you could be onto a winner there mate with the vaccuum thing, even for curing.

If it works for meat, wine etc then it should work for weed (ie developing the flavours, keeping it fresh etc).

That said, i have no idea about how a vaccuum would affect the cure, ie would it stop it etc?

But got to be worth a shout mate.

look forward to it

• Dekay, Lab Rat and Dex like this

#4 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

One question that might be worth asking is, is ventilating the jars during curing simply a way to expel moisture or, is air required for the process to complete properly (e.g. for oxidation)?

Either way, and I suspect it's the former, vac-sealing probably wouldn't be a great idea unless you're sure the moisture content is acceptable.

However, those Boveda humidity-control packs might be worth a go, and they might provide sufficient regulation even at this early stage of the procedure.

It's even possible that might do a better job than the traditional 'burping' method, if air isn't actually required for curing to take place, that is.
  • Dekay, 2scoops, Lab Rat and 2 others like this

#5 Lab Rat

Lab Rat

Silent runningz

• Respected User
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

One question that might be worth asking is, is ventilating the jars during curing simply a way to expel moisture or, is air required for the process to complete properly (e.g. for oxidation)?

Either way, and I suspect it's the former, vac-sealing probably wouldn't be a great idea unless you're sure the moisture content is acceptable.

However, those Boveda humidity-control packs might be worth a go, and they might provide sufficient regulation even at this early stage of the procedure.

It's even possible that might do a better job than the traditional 'burping' method, if air isn't actually required for curing to take place, that is.

Yeah I read about the Packs, not sure ide want to risk it while away & mess the cure up.

I think the air is required as like you say some kind of oxidation.

• Zipp and Dex like this

#6 Lab Rat

Lab Rat

Silent runningz

• Respected User
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

Not tried the vaccuum thing, but i am a fan of changing jars for smaller ones, as the weed gets smoked and jars empty So less air = better cure im convinced.

Youre not spose to smoke it all till its cured :D

The vacuum theory would kind of put it into a hibernation mode, but might mess it up I dunno.

Not sure would like to risk it.

• Zipp and Dex like this

#7 Lab Rat

Lab Rat

Silent runningz

• Respected User
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

I dont think the co2 return valve will cut it as is designed for water leaking through your airpump & wont create a proper seal when the air is turned off.

I ordered some balloon valves which are real cheap, so going to try them..but not sure if will work either.

Anyone knowledgeable on the right valve for the job would appreciate.

• Zipp and Dex like this

#8 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hmm... How about a water-lock arrangement?

At a basic level, you could just dangle the end of the tube in a jar of water or something, but I'm sure a more robust setup could be constructed (or purchased) easily enough.

You could probably do a similar thing on the outlet with a cheap home-brew airlock.
  • Dex likes this

#9 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

== Air in from pump ==      == Air out to curing jar ==
                     |      |
               ------+------+-----
               |     |      |    |
               |     |           |
               |     |           |
               |~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~|
               |     |           |
               |     |    water  |
               |     |           |
               |_________________|

• Lab Rat and Dex like this

#10 KiefKat

KiefKat

TGC DJ

• Sleeping Mods
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

This is a complete stab in the dark, but with those Boveda packs you don't need to exchange the air to cure the buds. As this is the case then the only reason for burping the jars is to control humidity and not oxidation (or other reason) as far as I can see.

I may be completely wrong on this, it's just the impression I got from the Boveda site.

• Lab Rat and Dex like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.