24 replies to this topic

#1 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

Well it's time to start arrising wildlife, fighting the bramble and going where we''d rather not, in the pursuit of some sunbaked happiness in this unforgiving world.

I'll be going to a place called the cuntry, conveniently it's only a 10 min drive away from my house in London :)

I'm sure there must be a good spot somewhere. Getting tired just thinking about it.

Anyway, if any a youw got some ancient wisdom or something, like, I don't know..... Don't plant on a hillock or you'll look like a pillock.

Whatever, doesn't even have to rhyme or anything. Anything about GG that comes to mind, anything at all, just for peeps to chew over.

First time for me. Will start them off in a tent then dig a hole (only with a hand trowel (? spade thing?), fill it with compost, soil & slow release ferts. Occasional feeds with tomorite.

That's the plan anyway.

Oh, this might be a tip, it just came to me. These would be good for carrying stuff to ya grow site :)

Edited by Sprink, 01 January 2015 - 01:00 AM.

• Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides, smokin soul and 4 others like this

#2 Trump

Trump

Organic Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

Forget the tomorite, save that for an emergency feed if you balls up. if you pump them outdoors you run a higher risk of mould with the increased flower density and it takes a lot of liquid feed in the ground to have much effect as it's flushed when it rains. pick your feed timings well if you are going to bother. wait for a dry spot so they munch the feed solution up fast and it isn't washed away by rain. you may be better off amending native soil than bringing it in. I recommend blood fish and bone, or that sort of thing, for outdoor use. I find if the native soil isn't too bad, turning the patch over with bf&b if all you need to do. backbreaking work that can take a few days by hand but well worth it.

dig as big a hole as you can, even if it's just to turn the earth over. you can't dig too deep.

dig your fence under a good foot, rabbits and badgers are good diggers

slugs are cunts, copper wire works ok if you cant be bothered with slug pellets. I recommend them both in combination.

let some local plants grow around the stalks and then lollipop your canna. this keeps the moisture in the ground and gives you better cover from the air. Then when everything starts dieing off at the end of season clear the undergrowth right out for mould prevention. airflow is important late in flower. 

tall is good if it's not bait. 

put some autos in with your regs for an early smoke, by the time the regs need more space the autos are harvested.

pick your strains carefully. strains that really haul ass outdoors are few and far between. I have seen a lot of people with bagseed sativa genetics harvest nothing at all, and conversely, a lot of people with sensible strains harvest sacks full of primo.

dont put all your eggs in one basket, 3 sites or more is good. hedge your bets. more the merrier.

play the numbers. don't treat it like indoor. put out ten times as many as you would like to come good.

make sure your sites are real stashy. don't be tempted to dot the odd plant about. if somebody finds a plant, they will look around for more.

use tall fence. rabbits are good jumpers. 

make sure there are no things around for animals to climb on to jump off or otherwise help them get up the fence. you want a clear perimeter both sides of the fence. 

you want a south facing patch ideally.

make sure your site gets early morning sun. this is important. it helps dry the buds from the morning dew, this is a big deciding factor and often overlooked imo.

it's best to start plants indoors, I have used cfl and hps in the past, they don't mind what. the windowsill is ok but does produce lanky bastards. you can of course bury the stems up to the cots but it makes transportation to the sites harder and riskier. plant outside any time after the first set of true leaves are an inch long. you'll have to judge local climate as to when, but earlier the better, for a longer veg.

top the fuck out of them.

you will need cages or some other type of plant support. they can get big outside and with big plants come big buds. a weighty 4 foot cola cant often hold itself up. 

try to do a lot of the trimming, at least just the fan leaves, on site. it saves a lot of mess back home and it can't hurt the land.

I will pop back as and when I think of anything else.

I havn't grown outdoor for a few years but may have to have another crack in 2015, I miss it, much funner than indoor and I seem to yield a lot more too. not to mention the smoke is nicer!

Best of luck to you sprink and all guerrilla growers this year :).

peace

• Mrs Willy, Budgie, The Dude Abides and 12 others like this

#3 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Forget the tomorite, save that for an emergency feed if you balls up. if you pump them outdoors you run a higher risk of mould with the increased flower density and it takes a lot of liquid feed in the ground to have much effect as it's flushed when it rains. pick your feed timings well if you are going to bother. wait for a dry spot so they munch the feed solution up fast and it isn't washed away by rain. you may be better off amending native soil than bringing it in. I recommend blood fish and bone, or that sort of thing, for outdoor use. I find if the native soil isn't too bad, turning the patch over with bf&b if all you need to do. backbreaking work that can take a few days by hand but well worth it.

dig as big a hole as you can, even if it's just to turn the earth over. you can't dig too deep.

dig your fence under a good foot, rabbits and badgers are good diggers

slugs are cunts, copper wire works ok if you cant be bothered with slug pellets. I recommend them both in combination.

let some local plants grow around the stalks and then lollipop your canna. this keeps the moisture in the ground and gives you better cover from the air. Then when everything starts dieing off at the end of season clear the undergrowth right out for mould prevention. airflow is important late in flower. 

tall is good if it's not bait. 

put some autos in with your regs for an early smoke, by the time the regs need more space the autos are harvested.

pick your strains carefully. strains that really haul ass outdoors are few and far between. I have seen a lot of people with bagseed sativa genetics harvest nothing at all, and conversely, a lot of people with sensible strains harvest sacks full of primo.

dont put all your eggs in one basket, 3 sites or more is good. hedge your bets. more the merrier.

play the numbers. don't treat it like indoor. put out ten times as many as you would like to come good.

make sure your sites are real stashy. don't be tempted to dot the odd plant about. if somebody finds a plant, they will look around for more.

use tall fence. rabbits are good jumpers. 

make sure there are no things around for animals to climb on to jump off or otherwise help them get up the fence. you want a clear perimeter both sides of the fence. 

you want a south facing patch ideally.

make sure your site gets early morning sun. this is important. it helps dry the buds from the morning dew, this is a big deciding factor and often overlooked imo.

it's best to start plants indoors, I have used cfl and hps in the past, they don't mind what. the windowsill is ok but does produce lanky bastards. you can of course bury the stems up to the cots but it makes transportation to the sites harder and riskier. plant outside any time after the first set of true leaves are an inch long. you'll have to judge local climate as to when, but earlier the better, for a longer veg.

top the fuck out of them.

you will need cages or some other type of plant support. they can get big outside and with big plants come big buds. a weighty 4 foot cola cant often hold itself up. 

try to do a lot of the trimming, at least just the fan leaves, on site. it saves a lot of mess back home and it can't hurt the land.

I will pop back as and when I think of anything else.

I havn't grown outdoor for a few years but may have to have another crack in 2015, I miss it, much funner than indoor and I seem to yield a lot more too. not to mention the smoke is nicer!

Best of luck to you sprink and all guerrilla growers this year :).

peace

Straight up awesome Trump, nice one.

I had been thinking about some of those things, but I've got a lot more to chew on now.

I'm going with Danish beans (HFH), so it's all about how well I do, and the weather of course.

Yeah, 3 sites it what I'm planning, so I'll make sure there's enough in each one.

Rabbits I hadn't thought about, cute little bastards :)

• Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides and Solo Quin like this

#4 Nun

Nun

Mad High At Times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

You want to enjoy the grow as much as the result, maybe more.
So, don't overdo it.

In the UK it's super easy to grow high yield, early hybrids.
Forget big rucksacks and backbreaking digging plans.
Put the effort into finding sites and learning about your cover story details.
If you claim to be photographing birds, learn about birds.
Don't go prepping your grow sites before the warm weather and green growth comes back in April/May.
The benefit isn't all that, and you're likely to bust your site.
Silence is golden. Smoking anything at all in the wild is like screaming I'M HERE, so don't.

Take small seedlings to your sites in late May or June when pests have plenty of other food.
Plant into swamp tubes with just 3 or 4 litres of local topsoil mix in them, so they're raised about 10 to 20 cm.
Take a gardening fork instead of a spade and quietly put holes in the soil around the tubes.
Scatter FBB powder, cut down weeds for a metre around your plants if you can.
A good pair of gardening snips is worth the price.

That's all there is to it.
Most years most plants should yield 2 to 4 oz each. Sometimes double that.
That's a lot, because it's potent.
If you make more effort and put a bigger plant out you can increase the yield
But
It's far easier and more effective to plant another plant instead.

Advice from abroad is usually irrelevant to the UK personal grower, and often plain wrong.
  • Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 7 others like this

#5 Nun

Nun

Mad High At Times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

Advice from abroad is usually irrelevant or wrong because UK soil and rain 

tend to be good enough ….. without big effort by the grower.

The other thing worth saying is this :

Indoor growers beware!

Outdoor plants tend to grow skinnier and leafier than the same stuff indoors

plus

If most of the trichomes are milky/cloudy, harvest immediately.

Remember every night is damp and dewy in September/October.

and a mould resistant plant can still go rancid on the surface without going slimy or furry with systemic infection.

Sometimes a plant looks alright when it's actually on the turn

It's not always obvious until you suddenly have a sweeter bud and think, "oh, right, the rest has gone sour."

Closer inspection normally shows that the sweeter bud is a healthier colour, even though it's crispy dry.

Genuinely mould-resistant strains in the simple sense of "mould proof" probably don't exist at all.

• Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides, smokin soul and 6 others like this

#6 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Great advice @Nun

Would be awful to grow nice plants only to have most of it go mouldy.

Hopefully anything I get will be chopped before October.

I took the same line on the trichs with a few autos last year, when they went cloudy I quit while I was ahead. Really great smoke too.

• The Dude Abides, FoxyLady, Nun and 2 others like this

#7 Nun

Nun

Mad High At Times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Allow me to show off my best guerrilla pic - this was 29 Aug 2011

gallery_222_40_69075.jpg

I started the seeds late March/early April indoors under strip lights

planted them out into a nice big swamp tube on a flood plain by a river

I thought at least one would be male - nope, all 3 were female.

I was cutting branches off that were bigger than some of my other whole plants 

just to avoid crowding and damage.

It was fun

but the Golden Grapefruit was a bit of a mould magnet. 

Someone quite well known on another forum told me I shouldn't plant different strains close together

they shut up, though, by the time this pic was posted back then.  ;)

• Mrs Willy, Budgie, Up2nogood and 11 others like this

#8 Lousizzle

Lousizzle

get $$$ f$ck Women

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

dude whats a swamp tube....sorry i never heard of this im just a dummy lol

#9 Nun

Nun

Mad High At Times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

Really?
  • Lousizzle likes this

#10 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Does anyone have experience of using river/stream water on outdoor plants?

It would be extremely handy but I guess it's a risk, not knowing what's in it.

• Solo Quin likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.