20 replies to this topic

#1 Vador

Vador

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

I've Never dechlorinated water before in hydro and never had any ill effects, These days i'm growing organic and trying to build the microbial life that chlorine would kill off so dechlorination is a must now.

If your like me and like to use 2L bottles for mixing nutes and watering then you've probably found yourself wondering how your gonna bubble off that chlorine. That's the exact reason i've never bothered in the past
This is so stupidly simple that i'm kicking myself that i never thought of it years ago, 
That's enough chit chat lets get started,

You will need:

An air pump

Some airline

As many bottles with caps as you are needing to fill

IMG 2971

This is what you will end up with, if you look carefully you can see the bubbles

IMG 2985

Start by cutting a length of pipe that is just short of double the length of the bottle, I'm doing 3 bottles so will only need 2 lengths of pipe, 5 bottles would be 4 bits of pipe, you get the idea.
My airline is 6mm so i made 2 x 5.5mm holes in the lids
IMG 2973

Next use a piece of airline as long as you need and connect one end to the air pump.
The other end poke through the hole in one of the lids, make sure to push it through enough so the tube would be at the bottom of the bottle if the cap were screwed on.
IMG 2976

Next take one of the pieces of tube that you cut that should be nearly the length of 2 bottles,
Push the tube through the second hole about half inch to an inch, Everything should be a tight fit.
IMG 2980

Then on the other end of that pipe thread another cap on and make sure it is through far enough to reach the bottom of the bottle again
IMG 2981

Repeat the last step
IMG 2978

Just keep doing that until you have the required amount of bottles and your good to go.
Three bottles is perfect for me as they fit nicely in my bucket
IMG 2987

Just make sure you've connected it all up right or you'll find that the contents of the bottles will get pumped out so be warned

Here's another handy little tip i will share with you fine people
Spoiler

Edited by Vador, 22 January 2015 - 09:03 PM.

• Mrs Willy, Budgie, mellowed and 12 others like this

#2 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

cool @Vador, you do like to get in there :joint:

I had a lot of the same concerns being mostly organic with my grows in the past, and guess what I found out? UK Water Co's (and lots of others) don't use chlorine any more, but chloramine. This isn't (*allegedly*) as harmful as chlorine and last longer in the water without evaporating away.

Now you'd think that may be a bad thing as its still in the water, but I also found out that it is neutralized by humic acid. A good organic medium should have plenty of humics in there anyway, and even more importantly it only takes a few g of humic acid to neutralise thousands of gallons of chloraminated water. The Humics in the soil (and usually in any follow up organic feeds) can cope fine with the amount of chloramine in the water so it turns out that this is a bit of a red-herring re:killing off the microbes in the soil as it gets neutralized too quick to make much difference. There will be a slight loss of the 'herd' as they say but its not fukushima stylee 

p.s. Check your PH after you've bubbled as passing co2 through the water impacts the PH, sometimes quite drastically! And if you have to start adding non organic ph-up/down then the chemicals in that will play havoc with the organic balance we're trying to maintain. (ditto chemical nutes)

• mellowed, The Dude Abides, Lab Rat and 6 others like this

#3 mellowed

mellowed

The Untroubled One

• Sleeping Mods
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

Wow top idea :)
  • duke and Vador like this

#4 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for pointing that out @GoodBudgie I didn't realise that
I've added mycorrhizal fungi and got a tub of great white on the way so I want to try and control what I'm putting in now.
Was thinking about getting a reverse osmosis machine but heard it can strip away nutrients from the plant if not used carefully or something like that
  • Budgie and duke like this

#5 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

if you use RO machines then you'll have to add back in any goodies/minerals that are taken out, but, RO does not remove chloramine.

As long as you've got half decent potable (drinkable) water then no need unless you want to have complete control over what goes to your plants. It is different if you're off-grid using wells, springs etc,often get 'browny' water coming through your pipes or in a different country. It always seems to be the US that champion the use of RO machines but then again, they don't have the same water co set ups as we do in a lot of places which gives more reason to use them.

That Great White is good stuff, I won a kilo tub a few years back and still got some left as you don't need to use much of it and only occasionally.

• The Dude Abides, duke and Vador like this

#6 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

Top advice there, thank you very much

#7 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Do you know who supply's your water @GoodBudgie
I've been reading on our local website and they say they use chlorine and there is no mention of chloramine.
I'm wondering if different treatment plants might use different processes.
Either that or they don't want us to know exactly what they are using so they just say chlorine, not sure
Southern water

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

Do you know who supply's your water @GoodBudgie
I've been reading on our local website and they say they use chlorine and there is no mention of chloramine.
I'm wondering if different treatment plants might use different processes.
Either that or they don't want us to know exactly what they are using so they just say chlorine, not sure
Southern water

you are very near me vador and our water is ok during dry weather but during heavy wet periods like atm it goes really dodgy and has ph of4.5 and ec nearly 1 before doing anything with it,by the time ive added nutes its at 2.5ph!i use bicarb for bringing back to 5.8 which normaly i would not have had to use,the southern water man came and did ph test and ec check as they didnt believe mine was right but typical it was a dry period when they tested it so was ok,now its fecked again and im giving the dogs and plants bottled water.ps having a forum get together in march as your near if you are free you are welcome to come,peace

• Budgie, The Dude Abides and Vador like this

#9 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

So I've been reading about chloramine and like you say they reckon it has slowly replaced chlorine, whether it's for the best or not has still got to be determined.
I found this
Chloramines should be removed from water for dialysis, aquariums, hydroponic applications, and homebrewing beer. Chloramines can interfere with dialysis, can hurt aquatic animals, and can give homebrewed beer a medicinal taste by forming chlorophenols. In hydroponic applications, it will stunt the growth and fruit production of plants.[citation needed]

When a chemical or biological process that changes the chemistry of chloramines is used, it falls under reductive dechlorination. Other techniques use physical—not chemical—methods for removing chloramines.[citation needed]

It said hydroponics but didn't mention soil so I guess that's where the humic comes into play

This is worth a look
  • Budgie, The Dude Abides and duke like this

#10 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

you are very near me vador and our water is ok during dry weather but during heavy wet periods like atm it goes really dodgy and has ph of4.5 and ec nearly 1 before doing anything with it,by the time ive added nutes its at 2.5ph!i use bicarb for bringing back to 5.8 which normaly i would not have had to use,the southern water man came and did ph test and ec check as they didnt believe mine was right but typical it was a dry period when they tested it so was ok,now its fecked again and im giving the dogs and plants bottled water.ps having a forum get together in march as your near if you are free you are welcome to come,peace

Yeah that sounds like a plan, a get together with some fellow growers will be excellent.
The thing I hate about this hobby the most is that I can't tell anyone what I'm doing
Be good to talk to some actual people about growing weed, count me in
  • The Dude Abides and duke like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.