2 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

I grew a load of Apache Bullet chilli peppers in the lean-to last year and when they'd dried they were pretty hot little bleeders :evil: I also got some mexican chipotle? style dried chills, locally grown and dried/smoked, from the local pet shop of all places! and they are really nice, not fiery as such, but a mellow, smokey, almost chocolatey taste,  with a kick that's well nice but doesn't build up past that hand in front of the open fire moment.

So, in GB tradition, 5 times the past 7 years is tradition in our house, I knocked up some home made chilli sauce and thought I'd share the results/recipe. I should have piccied every step, but, its not rocket science chopping up some stuff and boiling it up for a couple of hours a day over 2 or 3 days.

Its a dead easy recipe and all you need is a sharp knife and a decent Kim Kardashi-an, aka a heavy bottomed, pan. Basically you just chop it all up, boil it all down and bottle it up.

Ingredients 

use your own judgement with the number of chills if you make some :devil: )
  • 40 Dried Apache Chillis
  • 20 Dried Mexican Smoked Chillis
  • 2 Large Cloves Garlic
  • Good Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (yeah I know, but it's cheap at Aldi)
  • 6 Cloves 
  • 1tsp Ginger Powder
  • 1tsp Paprika Powder
  • 1tsp Dried Sage
  • 1kg Tomatoes
  • 1 Desert spoon/decent squirt of Tomato Paste
  • 1 Desert Spoon of Black-strap Molasses
  • Good pinch of Salt
  • Lashings of Ground Black Pepper
  • Couple of seal-able, sterilized, containers/old ketchup bottles
  • Colander/drainer or large holed sieve.

Preparation
  • Use a decent 6" + sharp knife to make like easy for yourself but be careful out there
  • Roughly slice and chop all the chillis, I also used about 1/4 of the seeds that came off them and put the rest in my seed jar for cooking or growing on.
  • Top and tail the garlic , give it a good bash to flatten it and let the juices out, then pick out the skins and roughly slice/chop.
  • Top and Tail the Onion, remove the skin and outer layer, then half it, half the halves, and roughly slice and chop it up.

Cooking

• Put the pan on a medium heat and pour in all the oil.
  • Throw in the cloves, wait till they start to sizzle a bit then add the ginger and paprika and stir for 30 seconds
  • Add the garlic and onions and sweat them off till they soften but don't brown them.
  • Chuck in all the chillis stir them all up and cook them off for 2 minutes or so until they've softened
  • Squirt in the tomato paste and stir in well, cook for 1 minute
  • Put in the chopped Tomatoes and the Sage stir then top up with hot water so the pan is 2/3rds full. 
  • Turn the ring up to full and bring to the boil giving it the occasional stir, 
  • When its boiled, turn the ring down enough to let the mix gently simmer.
  • Put the Lid on and let it simmer for a couple of hours. Give it the odd stir and mash up to squash down the tomatoes/chilly goodness.
  • If it gets too thick or low in the pan add some more water.
  • After it's reduced to about 1/2 turn off the hob and leave it overnight, lid on, to cool.
  • Repeat the topping up with water, boiling, simmering, reducing and cooling twice more
  • The last time you do it keep your eye on the thickness of the sauce as it simmers down and cooks. I like a fairly thick, smooth and drizzle-able consistency when it's given a good stir/'drop some off the spoon' test.
  • When it gets to this stage remove it from the heat and let it cool a bit.Strain it through a colander/sieve and pour into sterilised sauce bottles at voila. You're very own ring-stinging, chilli sauce. I saved the stuff from inside the colander, to put into curries, chilli-con and the like. 

Attached File  bottles.jpg   115.43KB   5 downloads Attached File  bottles2.jpg   149.99KB   5 downloads

This stuff is wicked with a sweet edge, It's a back of the throat heat that slowly builds. I've got to be careful with it though!, it's a couple of drops and deffo not a splodge of ketchup style, because its bloody hot with added morning after zing :devil:

• Mrs Willy, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 5 others like this

#2 Earwig

Earwig

That's Mr Earwig to you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

Good stuff GB. I'll post up my chilli jam recipe at some point. It's lush with cheese scones or crackers.

Just for info, chipotles at smoked jalapeƱos (as far as I understand)
  • Budgie likes this

#3 denots

denots

oil me up before you go go

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Nice one GB, But you forgot to add the onion to the list of ingredients  :wink: .

I'll stick this in me recipe folder and have a bash at this come chilli harvest time, thanks for that mate.

• Budgie and The Dude Abides like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.