• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

Plants that don't yield very well need some extra help during the veg period to promote better growth, such techniques as LST (low stress training), super-cropping, and topping and fimming.
I am going to focus on LST as this is my favourite along with super-cropping, mainly because this is what gives best results, with topping and fimming you are actually setting yourself back in the first week or two as it recovers so it requires a longer veg period, with LST and super-cropping you get the immediate result of redirecting the plants growth hormones (auxins) any points left above the bend or crop, basically you want to make your super-crop/pinch below the point you want to grow e.g the main stem at a point below the top branches, and this will mean the auxins are directed to the uppermost part of a plant or the branches.

A plant that definitely needs some help is Heaths black rose, my first one got lots of topping being used for cuts, she will suffer for this as the branches get thinner each time you top so less able to support a big bud but using LST the next time meant the transport system of the plant will not become narrower like topping and fimming and will benefit from the thickness increases of the tied down branches.

In starting LST you tie the main stem down but before you do this you must attach the stem to the other side of the pot for stability and so the roots arent tugged at by the next ties.

gallery_16_10_91728.jpg

You can go right round pot, the main stem recovers quickly and shoots back up, this is when i tie her down again.

gallery_16_10_74612.jpg

gallery_16_10_96797.jpg

gallery_16_10_55027.jpg

Side branching now higher than main stem so most auxins directed to them.

And the finished plant looked like this and yielded much much more than it would left to its own devices.

gallery_16_10_28780.jpg

Dont be scared this technique will always strengthen plants, its a bit like body building the main stem, and if you spend enough time doing it and get round to branches as well you will yield more. This can also be a very good technique for keeping plants low but as I have plenty of headroom I always release my plants in flower.

And heres an example of a members LST

Renegade4-20, brilliant job, plant kept small for a CFL grow

juqu5y9e.jpg

Attached Files

• Budgie, RobThePotHead, smokin soul and 19 others like this

#2 paul_led_126pro

paul_led_126pro

Starting out

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

great read dekay i did this on my last grow, nice even canopy on my widow and my northern lights all bus about the same size and i really enjoy tying up my ladies :yeahmate: paul
  • Dekay, Sprink, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#3 Dekay

Dekay

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

More importantly the ladies love being tied up :spank:
  • Sprink, Solo Quin, Highasyalike and 1 other like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I may give LST a go my next grow, i seen some great results doing it,
  • Dekay, Renagade4-20, Sprink and 2 others like this

#5 Dekay

Dekay

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

You should have blast mate its one of them things you gotta try, I should try coco like i have said for years mind so cant speak :P
  • Sprink, Solo Quin and no1 like this

#6 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

I know score on that m8, i too will probably just bend the fuckers and let em do their own thing, but it don`t look like too much faffing about so maybe right up my street. cheers m8y. :)
  • Dekay, Solo Quin and no1 like this

#7 UNITED

UNITED

Autoflowerist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

may LST next also. have a read up on it but dont want to do anything to drastic at the moment.

#8 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

may LST next also. have a read up on it but dont want to do anything to drastic at the moment.

I think that`s problem lots seem to wanna try this that and other and are pretty clueless about growing. Topping the plants wants to be your first move once you got growing sussed, learn the basics of growing weed b4 trying this that and other, you`ll be supprised what a good topping session will return you in bud. :)
  • Dekay, Roy Cropper, Slippery and 2 others like this

#9 UNITED

UNITED

Autoflowerist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

yeah i will look into it. im mainly into my autos though so cant go down topping route although this LST route looks good to me. :)

#10 Dekay

Dekay

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

United its not such a big deal mate if it is anchored on one side you can ever so gently just pull it down to where you feel comfortable like you said you do not want to be topping autos ideally, and its like your entry to supercropping which is another quick boost without too much stress.:dance2:
  • Renagade4-20, Solo Quin and no1 like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.