#1 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

Morning T-G-C'ers

I'm interested in switching over to a LED grow panel to replace my 400W HID set up (electromagnetic ballast & parabolic reflector).

I'm guessiing equivilent to 400Ws of HPS light would be around 270W of LED

Could someone reccomend a shop which was decent quality products? I'm not out to spend hundreds on a Chinese product with low quality LEDs that breaks within a couple of months.

EDIT: Scrap that hundreds of pounds comment, just had a scan through e-bay and prices have dropped quite dramatically since I last looked a couple of years ago, I know LED technology is getting cheaper but I can see 300W panels for only 70 quid!... So which ones are decent guys? =)

Edited by BADM4N, 24 April 2015 - 09:54 AM.

• Budgie, Zipp and Zephyr like this

#2 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Erm no.... the equivalent of a 400W HID can differ depending on panel, lumens and spectrum. Why do you want to switch?

if youre switching because of heat then a 700-800W panel will draw about 400-460W from the wall and give you far better results than a 400W HPS imo

• BADM4N, Zipp, fairy and 1 other like this

#3 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I live in spain and was thinking of replacing my 400W setup with this....

http://www.barcelona...-grow-360w.html

ive spoken to the manufacturer and they assure me its a 360W draw and will cover a 1,2m2 tent with ease

• BADM4N and Zephyr like this

#4 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Erm no.... the equivalent of a 400W HID can differ depending on panel, lumens and spectrum. Why do you want to switch?

if youre switching because of heat then a 700-800W panel will draw about 400-460W from the wall and give you far better results than a 400W HPS imo

Hi Dave

I appreciate your point but LED's have much better luminous efficacy than most traditional light sources when it comes to more conventional lighting but I'm not too in the know about hydroponic lighting to be honest.

Yes mostly want to change due to heat management, it has been getting too hot (30C - 31C at the top of the canopy) in the tent since Spring started and one of my plants during the latest grow got so heat sressed that at 10 weeks of 12/12 there is hardly any bud on it. During the winter months I want to avoid the peaks and troughs I get between lights on and off. Also lower energy consumption would be fantastic.

Wouldn't 700-800W be too much light in a 1 metre squared space? My tents dims are 1m x 1m x 2m.

I have been looking at the Vipar products, http://www.viparled....-led-grow-light this product looks pretty decent but it does not give adequate coverage when in flower mode, whereas this product  ,  ghttp://www.viparled....-led-grow-light , ives near perfect coverage but is a little over my budget.

Edited by Zipp, 25 April 2015 - 05:57 PM.

• Budgie, Zipp and Zephyr like this

#5 Hoon

Hoon

Strain Hoarder

• DJs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

i think its possibly less lumens but more somthing else par? i dunno tbh, i run lights at night an im getting between 25c an 28c at mo, 6inch fan ducting to loft and 4inch fan for inlet from outside 400w hps.

i think led are good but sure ive read that bud can be abit less dense an more airy , but this may just be somthing else and could be dialled in to improve results i guess

• BADM4N, KrazyDave and Zephyr like this

#6 Hoon

Hoon

Strain Hoarder

• DJs
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

plus i have my inlet and extract on controllers an there running at about half there capacity to keep noise down a lil, so could run cooler if needed. 

• KrazyDave and Zephyr like this

#7 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

i think its possibly less lumens but more somthing else par? i dunno tbh, i run lights at night an im getting between 25c an 28c at mo, 6inch fan ducting to loft and 4inch fan for inlet from outside 400w hps.

i think led are good but sure ive read that bud can be abit less dense an more airy , but this may just be somthing else and could be dialled in to improve results i guess

Thats true with older panels but i think the newer ones with better par leds are less airy. While they may grow slightly smaller buds, the quality and strength will be far better due to better trichome production.

• fairy and Zephyr like this

#8 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

You would probably be better getting a cool shade. I'm never getting rid of mine now. It can get up to 50 deg C here but my tent stays pretty cool being cooled this way and underground. My LEDs made it too cold if i extracted the air!

• BADM4N, Hoon and Zephyr like this

#9 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hi Hoon

I'm renting a flat at the moment so I cannot make modifications to the structure. Main disadvantage with a flat like this is that it can get quite "stuffy" during the day even with all of the windows open. Usually for summer grows I have lights on at night to avoid the hottest part of the day but the last grow crossed into "british summer time" lol.

You won't believe the rate that LED technology is advancing, the top lighting manufacturers are getting over 150 lumens per watt at the moment. In a few years time we will be at 250lm/W

• Hoon and Zephyr like this

#10 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

You would probably be better getting a cool shade. I'm never getting rid of mine now. It can get up to 50 deg C here but my tent stays pretty cool being cooled this way and underground. My LEDs made it too cold if i extracted the air!

That's not a bad idea but I already have a "euro" wing reflector and then I upgraded to a parabolic... It will be like a reflector display showroom in the spare room lol

Edited by BADM4N, 24 April 2015 - 10:59 AM.

• Hoon, KrazyDave and Zephyr like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.