61 replies to this topic

#31 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

i had 2 b3x3's in mi small cupboard...which is like 700mm wide..1.6 high..

think like said above coverage over smaller ones better than one big one.

im running 2 intelligent gor 270W's at mo... got shut of the b3x3's

Cheers fairy

Well I have a 1m tent and the only difference between 1 or 2 panels in that space seems to be heat. My 2 smaller panels ran really cool in there.

But the bigger the tent, the more it makes sense to have 2 panels. If I was using a 1.2m tent that's what I'd want, but it would have to be enough actuall wattage for the space.

Also, I'd think about not using the hanging this that comes with it, because it makes the light hang too low imo

I'd think about tying them up in a way where you can get them all the way up the top, which you can't do with the hanging things. That should make sure you can always have them at the right height to cover the canopy.

I'm sure the panels you're looking at will cover your tent very nicely, as long as you don't have a stupid canopy like I just had :)

That all makes sense, guess I will go with 2x V series panels from Vipar as I want to avoid a scorching summer indoor grow.

Will 2x V300 "300W" panels with 180W draw power do the trick? I would like to reduce my energy consumption and the 400w panels use 200W so I'd be using the same amount of energy. Plus I can get the 300W panels 2 for £165 which is a bargain... But if the 400W will be that much better then I'd rather pay out more...

• fairy likes this

#32 Vador

Vador

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:24 PM

Cheers fairy

That all makes sense, guess I will go with 2x V series panels from Vipar as I want to avoid a scorching summer indoor grow.

Will 2x V300 "300W" panels with 180W draw power do the trick? I would like to reduce my energy consumption and the 400w panels use 200W so I'd be using the same amount of energy. Plus I can get the 300W panels 2 for £165 which is a bargain... But if the 400W will be that much better then I'd rather pay out more...

If your patient you can snap up a real bargain on eBay, I got my Mars 400 for £80 delivered and my 600w vipar reflector delivered for something like £120, I was waiting for the new grownorthern to come out but couldn't resist a bargain at the time.
Just set yourself a limit and keep bidding till you get it for the price you want,
Both sellers sell there panels cheaper on eBay than they do on there websites so well worth it imo

To be honest I noticed the growth was slow with the Mars hydro but it only draws 180w so to be expected I guess, not in any way in comparison to a 400w hps. Not even any better than my 250w mh in veg so a bit disappointing but to be fair it did flower a few autos nicely and one of the buds even came 2nd in a Christmas competition on here so she did me proud.
The 600w vipar reflector draws 300w and I would say is a very close comparison to my 400w hps, I use it for 2 weeks 17/9 when the cuttings go in the groom right through till end of flowering and she seems to be performing well so far.

I'm pretty sure it's the reduction of heat that has improved my buds overall though, hps runs way to hot in a wardrobe and the buds tend to go fluffy and weigh next to nothing.

Now I get nice dense juicy buds that finish earlier and touch wood don't seem to be as susceptible to bud rot, believe me I've had plenty of that running the hps, also hydro was in the equation though I guess.
Soil growing now so RH will probably be more stable now as well.

The moral of the story is get an led you won't regret it
  • revert, BADM4N, Zipp and 3 others like this

#33 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply Vador. Interesting point on reducing the risks of bud rot.

I keep changing my mind on which to buy.... I'm favoring the Mars 2 900W panel again, my reasoning is:

5W LED's (not 3W like the budget panels) which will give better penetration into the canopy

Over 24000 lumen output

440W average draw power

Combine the two above points then the efficacy is much better with the 5W panels at around 55 lumens per watt vs the 3W panels which give around 38 lumens per watt

The Mars 2 900W panel gives 105cm squared coverage for flowering which is perfect for my tent, appreciate the points on coverage so the next grow with this panel I will have to maintain an even canopy to get the best results. All of the above specs should match up with a 400W HPS which corrolates with Vadors experience as well

Edited by BADM4N, 27 April 2015 - 11:07 AM.

• Zipp, Vador, Sprink and 1 other like this

#34 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for your reply Vador. Interesting point on reducing the risks of bud rot.

I keep changing my mind on which to buy.... I'm favoring the Mars 2 900W panel again, my reasoning is:

5W LED's (not 3W like the budget panels) which will give better penetration into the canopy

Over 24000 lumen output

440W average draw power

Combine the two above points then the efficacy is much better with the 5W panels at around 55 lumens per watt vs the 3W panels which give around 38 lumens per watt

The Mars 2 900W panel gives 105cm squared coverage for flowering which is perfect for my tent, appreciate the points on coverage so the next grow with this panel I will have to maintain an even canopy to get the best results. All of the above specs should match up with a 400W HPS which corrolates with Vadors experience as well

Yeah nice, a badboy panel for a badman :)

The only other thing I can say about the 900W is it looks well made. It doesn't have stuff like an on/off switch (a lot of panels don't have them), but you don't need it. It seems to me that they concentrated the most on the most important factors when they designed them.

Like you say, the specs sound perfect for 1m square.

• BADM4N, Zipp, Vador and 1 other like this

#35 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but you can daisy chain led panels together as well, if you are getting 2 Mars panels it would be wise to talk to there customer services and get them to supply you with the cable for daisy chaining.
Then you only use 1 plug socket, there is a limit to how many you can chain together so you'd have to find out about that
  • BADM4N, Zipp and Sprink like this

#36 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

could you stick 2 of these in a 1m2 tent guys or is it overkill ....hows the heat or is it minimal :bigjoint: :bigjoint:

• revert, BADM4N, The Clone Ranger and 1 other like this

#37 BADM4N

BADM4N

Junglist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hey Zip, hope you and the family are well. I have been browsing some LED grow diaries on the various canna forums there are out there and I saw one with a 1.5x1.5 space where the chap used a Mars 2 900W and his 600W HPS with one plant under each light source so I guess 2x Mars 2 900W panels would work fine in a 1.2m squared tent

I'm just going to buy one of these for now as I cannot afford two of them at the moment.

• Zipp and Sprink like this

#38 The Clone Ranger

The Clone Ranger

THE YORKSHIRE PUDDING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

zip ya fancy going halfs on the 1200w mars 2?? you get 2 x mars 2 1200w for £630 draw at plug/wall 580w and about 5amp, 36,400 lumens, anyone asks you have a tanning bed in your room :)

• BADM4N and Sprink like this

#39 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

@BADM4N , hi badm4n  hope you and yours are all well to mate ....im in a 1m2 tent bad so basicly im looking for an led panel or 2 that puts out the same as a 600hps

but with less heat...lol dont ask for much mate lol but must admit the buds do look better

will be watching your next grow closely lmao ...hope it all goes well mate :D :bigjoint: :bigjoint:

• revert and Sprink like this

#40 Vador

Vador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

could you stick 2 of these in a 1m2 tent guys or is it overkill ....hows the heat or is it minimal :bigjoint: :bigjoint:

I don't think it's overkill really, you can always take one out and put it back in half way into flower.
I've got mine set up on a rail so I can slide it backwards and forwards for better coverage in my wardrobe, 2 of those should hopefully sit side by side pretty good in a 1m square tent.
Have a look at the pictures before you buy though, the little hooks for hanging the light Will either be in the corners or in the middle of each of the edges.
Depending on where they are located depends on how they will hang, the vipar hangs square but the mars hangs like a diamond sort of way round if you know what I mean.
It was a pain in the arse for me after ripping out all my hps and cool tube then realising the lugs were on the edges and had to bodge it in place in a rush. It might cause you issues unless you can find a way to rig them up nicely so plan ahead.
They come with little cable attachments to hang them but they are a waste of time, get some chain from b&q, they've got this perfect stiff wired chain that you can open and close with pliers and it's perfect for hanging these lights, I'll get a picture in a minute
As far as heat goes if you are set up for running a hps and can deal with the heat from that you will have no trouble with the heat from led
  • BADM4N, Zipp and Sprink like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.