• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thought i would share this recipe for authentic Thai Green Curry.
A member of my family has given me this recipe having harassed street vendors in Thailand for their recipes for some time. She has really perfected it. It is one of the best meals out there bar none.

A few things to note...

1) Do not buy the paste in jars or tubs, whatever the brand. It is simply not the same thing. Make your own in a pestel and morta.
2) Proper Green curry is very hot - above madras level, but not quite vindalloo.
3) Ideal for vegetarians and as your typical meat eating neanderthal, i was v surprised how good it was with veg/tofu etc.
4) Visit an asian supermarket, which should have most ingredients. Its worth a bus ride or do some homework. Dont go to sainsburies and expect to get what you want. If they do stock it, you will pay a premium.
5) The paste below will keep for weeks in a sealed container in the fridge. Which then means you can whip up something very special in 5-10 mins.

Ingredients: to make about a half pint of paste, good enough to feed 8.

40 green small birds eye chilli
4 large mild green chilli
100gms of Galangal (a thai ginger). This is v important and what will turn it into something special.
One large bunch of Coriander root. In asian supermarkets usually a bunch of coriander will not be chopped at the base. Stalks without root are ok though.
15 Garlic cloves
1 tbsp of Fish Paste. (stinks)
4 bashed sticks of lemongrass.
1 tsp of White Pepper.
Zest of 2 limes
4 finely chopped kaffir lime leaves. (never dried) frozen are the best.

Blend all that up in a blender, but then.. v important. Bash it up in a pestal and mortar for a good 10-15 mins until smooth.

Then for the sauce....

3 tins of coconut milk (remember it is for 8 people)
2 large Onions sliced/
300 gms of Sugarsnap peas
4 Thai Aubergines.
bunch of Thai Basil. (not normal basil)
4 more kaffir lime leaves
juice of 2 limes.
fish sauce
Palm SUgar (must me palm) not white, brown etc.
Coriander leaves.
4 sticks of lemongrass.

So, once that is all assembled, time to cook...

Fry the paste so it sweats, but not brown, over a medium heat with a little veg oil.
Add the sliced onions and soften them for 2-3 mins.
Add .75 kg of thinly sliced chicken. (tofu, fish etc) until slightly brown
Pour in the coconut milk, lemongrass, lime jiuce and bring to a simmer until chicken (or substitute) is cooked through.
Add in the sugar snap peas, (or french beans) thai aubrgines (or any veg ya like really) and whole kafir lime leaves.
Then add in palm sugar to taste. for 8 about 1-2 tbsps.
Then dribble in the fish sauce to create the sour aspect of the curry. (about 1-2 tbsps).
Once you are happy with the sauce - ie it is hot, sour, sweet and creamy, veg is cooked.. then take the pot off the stove and take out the lemongrass stalks...

Sprinkle generously with chopped coriander leaves and whole Thai basil leaves, or some red chillies. A quick stir and serve immediately with plain boiled rice.

Drink wise, a corona beer or a glass of new zealand sauv blanc goes v well with it

Sounds like a faff, but once the paste is made, its dead easy. Just coconut milk, meat, veg and fish sauce and herbs in a pot.

Good Asian supermarkets should have all that. If they dont, ask them to put an order in for you.

The result is a stunning aromatic and very hot tasty dish that has wowed my dinner guests for years and years. Easy to do for a mixed party of veggies and meat eaters.
Also not bad for putting a bit of cannabutter in at the fry onions stage, although i recommend just chonging some weed and enjoying the curry on its own.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Double Zero, hazed bunny, igiggle and 7 others like this

#2 hazed bunny

hazed bunny

doing bunny stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Awww that looks really nice yum yum

#3 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

you should try it bunny. Making your own paste is really the key and use galangal instead of ginger. :)

#4 UNITED

UNITED

Autoflowerist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Love a Thai curry.. That looks amazin

#5 marmalade dreams

marmalade dreams

• Sleeping Mods
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Just checking, but is that really 40 birds eye chillies?

Unfortunately I'm a complete wuss when it comes to chillies, I can handle heat but cannot eat fresh chilli peppers.

The other half is a different story though, I suspect him and the eldest will be trying this recipe, Batman, so wanted to make sure it was indeed 40. Many thanks

#6 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

It is marm but it's for 8 people. The authentic is proper hot. But will work with less.
  • marmalade dreams and spoongotlost like this

#7 MrG

MrG

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Good stuff batman, I had this for lunch today:) Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk 2

#8 Double Zero

Double Zero

Flicking The Bean

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Loving the look of that B'Man As you know I make all my curry pastes from scratch and am yet to find a good Thai Green Curry paste, will defo be giving that a whirl mate :)

#9 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

i may make a batch up on weekend and if anyone want some, send us a safe addy and i will send on

#10 Special Branch

Special Branch

head tha ball

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

nice 1 BM, i only use the asian food markets for there extra hot chilli powder, I can cook ok but with my own curries/spicy dishes i grab jars sharwoods or pataks paste/sauce.... Think i might have a stab at this tbf... cheers m8:nice:

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.