10 replies to this topic

#1 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

Cleaned my nails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

I'd like to find out about members experiences with carbon filters.  First let me say it seems most people use Rhino carbon filters and readily accept they're amongst the best,  it is pretty much an accepted fact that Rhino are excellent filters. 

I'd really like to know more about peoples experiences good and bad, when using other filters. (not Rhino)

When I started growing I was severely limited financially and could never afford to buy the best equipment, my first carbon filter was a cheap one and didn't keep it long. It was at this stage I decided to look for a better filter.

I was looking at Rhino filters when I stumbled across another make by offered by Charlieshydro, It was called Ikon and appeared to claim a higher grade of carbon than Rhino, it was around the same price as Rhino so I took a punt and bought it.

Several years down the line I'm still using this same filter, it hasn't been in contiguous use, but had a rest for around three years, maybe this added extra life to it. I can say it has done around 7-8 grows and is still working perfectly.

I started to think the other day I must be on borrowed time with my filter, so I'm going to buy one to have one on stand by.

If I can't find another Ikon filter, I'll get a Rhino pro, I won't say Ikon are better than Rhino, as I've never owned one, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has had both types in the past, to ask how they compared.  

• The Dude Abides, duke and K.D.R.G.M like this

#2 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

i have not used that make but have used the budda smellstopper 4 inch was about £20 and lasted in continuous use for just under 18 months at which point i refill with new carbon and it will last as long again then,the rhino are good but do be careful as there are a number of fakes on the cheaper ebay sites tbh unless the casing is damaged there is no need to replace these things as the carbon is so much cheaper and only a few rivets hold them together,peace
  • The Dude Abides, WanderinBloke, fairy and 3 others like this

#3 WanderinBloke

WanderinBloke

They see me wibblin'

• Respected User
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

i have not used that make but have used the budda smellstopper 4 inch was about £20 and lasted in continuous use for just under 18 months at which point i refill with new carbon and it will last as long again then,the rhino are good but do be careful as there are a number of fakes on the cheaper ebay sites tbh unless the casing is damaged there is no need to replace these things as the carbon is so much cheaper and only a few rivets hold them together,peace

Where do you buy your carbon fella, fleabay? Any particular type you go for?

• The Dude Abides, duke, KiefKat and 1 other like this

#4 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Ive bought budget before and they do ok for 1-2 grows. But they konk out quick. Not worth the risk. Its not predictable.

Went back to rhino just for piece of mind. If it aint broke..

The economic answer is to get the filter (whatever it is) refilled with quality carbon. It works out cheaper than buying again. A filter is only as good as its carbon. My budget filter housing was very well made and a refill with good quality carbon would have made it equal to a rhino every day of the week.

Depends on whether you can be arsed to do refills. Its not a stealhty option as usually means a visit or two to the hydro shop. But a rhino should last a year or two, before a refill is required.

I cant advise on the carbon refllls themselves, but buying a rhino remains good stealthy advice, albeit a bit more expensive than a refill.

If something better comes along than a rhino, then it needs to be backed up with rave reviews on grow forums before i switch. The nature of the hobby dictates a tried and tested approach to getting rid of the smells. The rhino is king of that currently and things that may be better is a risk id rather not take. They will of course claim x,y an z but the comeback on that is usually silent surrender. The manufacturers know it and play on it.

The rhino didnt solve all my problems however.. as a UK cheese in 2009 a fresh rhino struggled in gettng rid of the smells. But a budget would have done a lot worse. The smell was seeping through bricks and well built walls. Not had a smellier weed. All other strains have been smell free with a rhino. So it will be a rhino for me again as i can trust it for a couple of years to get rid of the smells.

• duke, stephen07, olmec and 1 other like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

i got mine at a supplier of fish keeping stuff but any virgin carbon of 2-3 mm particle size works,i believe australian tiwest virgin carbon and coco coir is the latest new filter media,does seem hard to find on ebay.maybe one of the larger pet stores would be worth a go though,good luck
  • olmec, WanderinBloke, fairy and 2 others like this

#6 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

I've used these people in the past: http://www.activated...g.co.uk/10.html

And I found some on the Bay one time, too.

It's not cheap, though, and you need more than you think (2 kgs doesn't go very far). They suggest weighing your filter to find out how much is required (the metal parts won't weigh a huge amount in comparison).

The hard part is packing it sufficiently tightly — Putting it on a washing machine (on spin) and tapping it can help to settle it :)

Most commercial filters seem to use 3mm, but that packed too closely for my PC fans so I used 4mm.

Definitely don't mix pellet sizes! You end up blocking the gaps up and stifling the air flow.

Good luck :)
  • The Dude Abides, duke, WanderinBloke and 3 others like this

#7 K.D.R.G.M

K.D.R.G.M

Has dirty fingernails

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

Interesting read :hattip: :hookah: I also use a Rhino pro 4" that is coming to the end of her life...2 years I think in January but gunna change the carbon anyway ....thanks for the link Missy. reasonably priced too :hookah:

Keep Toking

:hookah:

Edited by K.D.R.G.M, 20 July 2015 - 12:02 PM.

• duke likes this

#8 KrazyDave

KrazyDave

Organic Grower

• Respected User
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:24 AM

i believe australian tiwest virgin carbon and coco coir is the latest new filter media

Thats what I use these days and I must say, its kept up with some stinky ass plants up to now. I trust mine anyway. Its due to run out soon though as its easily 17-18 months old.
  • duke, K.D.R.G.M and ZenArcher like this

#9 BudMan

BudMan

Old School

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

I've only ever used Rhinos. Had cheap unbranded ones that leaked almost immediatley. 

One of my 5" Rhinos I've had for well over 5 year now and its been abused. Still keeps up, altho I fear it migghhtttt jussstttt be starting to pass the tiniest trace of smell.

Could have easilly done 10-20 grows. Who knows haha

• duke and stephen07 like this

#10 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Do the Rhino pro filters kill the smell completely, ie, would a neighbour detect the smell in a garage that forms the boundary to our properties, he is always there, messing about with his wheelie bins and would call the cozzers in a heartbeat.

In this case, would it be better to vent inside the garage or outside

• duke likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.