14 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

Another handy little read if you are interested in Tropical Sativa Strains, © Sensi Seeds, with pics and some info about the moon and tips growing them out ;)

Attached File  Equatorial cannabis varieties - Sensi Seeds.pdf   408.41KB   24 downloads

• The Dude Abides, weedtroll, Petal and 7 others like this

#2 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

Just read this again, and it does make some interesting points about the differences between equatorial strains and your typical garden variety plants.

Numerous equatorial strains I've grown absolutely refuse to flower if given more than 11 hours of light a day, and the fussiest need it dropped again to 10 hours to get further than a sprawling mass of furry bits. And about half of the plants I've had from pure equatorial regions (within 5-10 degrees of the equator) Colombian landraces in particular can nearly endlessly flower if you keep feeding them, every time they look close, new growth pops up until nutrients eventually dwindle, or the grower gets fed up and chops. I've known some Thai and Cambodian strains to behave like this too.

It's a completely different way of growing compared to modern indoor strains, it could almost be a different species. From using 13/11 and 11/13-10/14 lighting instead of 18/6 and 12/12 cycles, to stuff like having to starve the plant to force ripening and being unable to rely on checking the trichs since so many never really turn amber, it's a real challenge :)

There's nothing more satisfying than successfuly finishing a 6 month lowland Colombian, and sitting back with a fat one, the sweet taste of mango dancing on your tongue and a pure, euphoric, clean sativa buzz that just keeps climbing over the course of the day until you collapse in a heap, absolutely mangled. Then you get up and do it all again! :ninja2: :lol:

Yes, I could do at least two grows in the time it takes to flower out something of that caliber, but it's a matter of quality, not quantity. :happyleaf:

ATB

Edited by THC F13ND, 23 November 2017 - 03:01 AM.

• Budgie, Adam Bomb, Solo Quin and 3 others like this

#3 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

A few pics of full on equatorial sativas as an example of how different they are. The first 3 pics are two different Colombians, two pics of the first and one of the other, and the last 3 are a landrace from Ghana.

The pics aren't mine, though I do have seeds for each of these around here ;)

Attached File  PR 150827 DSC_0001.jpg   424.51KB   1 downloadsAttached File  PR 151026 DSC_0011.jpg   446.26KB   1 downloadsAttached File  user148171_pic589568_1296230986.jpg   154.52KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1080258.JPG   136.72KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1070092.JPG   144.39KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P1070069.JPG   116.18KB   0 downloads

ATB

Edited by THC F13ND, 23 November 2017 - 08:51 AM.

• Budgie, 2scoops, Adam Bomb and 9 others like this

#4 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

A few pics of full on equatorial sativas as an example of how different they are. The first 3 pics are two different Colombians, two pics of the first and one of the other, and the last 3 are a landrace from Ghana.

attachicon.gifPR 150827 DSC_0001.jpgattachicon.gifPR 151026 DSC_0011.jpgattachicon.gifuser148171_pic589568_1296230986.jpgattachicon.gifP1080258.JPGattachicon.gifP1070092.JPGattachicon.gifP1070069.JPG

ATB

Oush they beautiful fiend :weed:
  • duke, Solo Quin and THC F13ND like this

#5 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

attachicon.gifPR 150827 DSC_0001.jpgattachicon.gifPR 151026 DSC_0011.jpgattachicon.gifuser148171_pic589568_1296230986.jpgattachicon.gifP1080258.JPGattachicon.gifP1070092.JPGattachicon.gifP1070069.JPG

ATB

Ghana's not equatorial but the weed is top notch.

#6 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

African equitorial strains are pretty shite IMO.

Edited by Ken Erbis, 23 November 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#7 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Ghana's not equatorial but the weed is top notch.

African equitorial strains are pretty shite IMO.

True, Ghana's latitude is between 4°45'N and 11°N, meaning it isn't truly equatorial, but quite closely related and grown in similarly tropical conditions.

I'm quite fond of Congolese strains myself, though I must admit the majority of good equatorial strains I've come across have been Colombians rather than African. There are many great African landraces that pop up from time to time in non equatorial regions though :)

ATB
  • Adam Bomb, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#8 Nefarious Shenanigans

Nefarious Shenanigans

youthful exuberance

• Respected User
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

interesting read, many points I had not fully considered before

thanks @Budgie

• Budgie, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#9 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

True, Ghana's latitude is between 4°45'N and 11°N, meaning it isn't truly equatorial, but quite closely related and grown in similarly tropical conditions

Untrue, Ghana's climate is vastly different than say Uganda or Congo. Ghana is hot dry heat whilst the equatorial regions of Africa are humid, danmp and tropical. You could set your watch by equatorial rains whatever the season. Ghana is sub-sahelian and its weather patterns are far more arid and unpredictable. Completely diffent kettle of fish.
  • Adam Bomb, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#10 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:27 AM

Untrue, Ghana's climate is vastly different than say Uganda or Congo. Ghana is hot dry heat whilst the equatorial regions of Africa are humid, danmp and tropical. You could set your watch by equatorial rains whatever the season. Ghana is sub-sahelian and its weather patterns are far more arid and unpredictable. Completely diffent kettle of fish.

Not trying to be argumentative mate, I don't doubt you know your shit, I'm just going by climate data. Obviously it isn't exact due to being essentially a list of average monthly conditions, and focused on more populated areas rather than the rural areas the plants would mostly grow in, but nonetheless it suggests Ghana actually has higher average humidity and similar temperatures to both Republic of Congo and democratic Republic of Congo, with the main difference being as you say, the much heavier rains in the Congo, and higher levels of sunlight in Ghana.

The exact timing and duration of certain changes in precipitation, humidity and temperature are different, but over the course of the year the averages are quite close in most categories.

Ghana (Accra) - G
Republic of Congo (Kinshasa) - R
Democratic Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) - D

Average high temperature - G/30.8c R/30.4 D/30.2
Mean day temperature - G/26.4c R/25.5 D/25.4
Average low temperature - G/23.4c R/20.6 D/20.7
Precipitation (mm) - G/806.8 R/1482 D/1394
Average precipitation days - G/75 R/115 D/89
Average relative humidity (%) - G/81 R/80.3 D/78
Average monthly sunlight hours - G/2378.5 R/1739 D/1897

Going by that, Ghana gets more sunlight, less rain, and slightly higher average low temperatures, whilst having a higher average humidity than either Congolese nation.

In terms of climate classification, all three are listed as mostly tropical savanna climate in the Koppen system, with certain regions having different climate such as equatorial or tropical monsoon, but these classifications can be quite a loose grouping of vaguely similar conditions, a short wet season can be enough to reclassify a semi-arid area as tropical for example, so I would trust the climate data more :)

ATB
  • Adam Bomb, Solo Quin and Ken Erbis like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equitorial Sativa Varieties, Sativa, Sensi Seeds, Growing Sativa, Tropical, Equator

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.