• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

hi all well inspired by a thread on the dark side by vmax i decided as the gits over there have removed all the pics from the thread i would attempt to restart it here,

the basic idea is to preserve either rooted or un rooted cuttings/clones by refridgeration so as to keep them alive but in a kind of stasis or suspended animation.

i will start by explaining how i have done it and will add a few pics as things unfold,

firstly i would say any healthy genetics other than autos can be saved for future use with a little care they can survive for several months in the fridge and can then be called into service at any time when needed without the need to keep a mother plant or have males taking your valuable growing space taken up with vegging clones for months at a time.

the cutts in this particular instance are 1 vanilla kush fem from barneys and 1 pakistan chitral kush from cannabiogen,they where taken some 15 weeks ago rooted in small plastic pudding bowls filled with coco then once well rooted are fed with low ec feed only once then to make the adjustment from the drobe to the fridge less of a shock i gradualy moved the plant to progressively cooler location sort of the opposite of the hardening of before planting out then i covered the pudding bowls with a plastic bag sprayed a little plain water in inflated the bag and tied it shut tightly,next you take them to the fridge and nestle them in somewhere cold but with no chance of freezing as once frozen they are dead as it causes cells to burst.

these are rooted but in the original vmax thread he used both rooted and unrooted stems with success and also at various point removed and returned the clones to the fridge also his thread showed the entire grow through to harvest which was good,i will attempt to do the same and show the life of these 2 experimental clones which have now been in stasis for nearly 9 weeks and still alive and green and no growth at all and not lost a single leaf so far!

in about a month i will have room to remove them from stasis and give them the new drobe to grow in and shall document there growth here for all to see,pics will be later tonight,peace

• Dekay, 2scoops, Monty Bong and 13 others like this

#2 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

right this is the 2 clones so far spent 8 weeks in fridge they will be in there another 4-6 weeks before i get them out to veg a while before flowering there are also several unrooted cutts in the fridge as i want to see how this affects rooting later on but i forgot pics of them i will report progress eventually here,pics to start

Attached Files

• Dekay, 2scoops, BADM4N and 7 others like this

#3 stephen07

stephen07

Content

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'll Follow this 1 , never read the other threat at the old place .
So I'm interested in the idea , learn something new . But I'll never do it .
Subbed up pal [emoji106]
  • 2scoops, duke and Horse Badorties like this

#4 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

I got a bubba kush cut in fridge now so can see how unrooted do as well but its only been there for a week, it needs to last for another 4 weeks before I even try and root it, will get pics when I got phone back, nice one duke I use to keep cuts in fridge all the time although never rooted ones but just sort of forgot about it and have even thrown good cuts away thinking no space doh  :fish:

• 2scoops, Lab Rat, duke and 3 others like this

#5 uk Percy

uk Percy

Cannabis Tree Surgeon

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:08 AM

Yes yes yes duke been wanting someone to explain this.
As i would like to take cuts and fridge them until spring if that will work.
  • 2scoops, Lab Rat, duke and 3 others like this

#6 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

A good thread Duke, i really like this idea lots.

• Lab Rat, duke and Horse Badorties like this

#7 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

A good thread Duke, i really like this idea lots.

hi jimmi yes it is a very useful method as even if you get busted the unrooted clones cannot be counted as plants so you wont be charged with them no matter how many,i hope this helps and i have been looking for other info on weed in particular and came accross this its quite brief but factual,peace  icon14.gif Holding cuttings in a stasis state... (the refrigerator method)

aka "Subcooled Cuttings" 

The crisper drawer and a ziploc bag will provide a suitable stasis* chamber for fresh cuttings for up to around 6..7..8 weeks. 
(*Stasis= maintaining a constant level...Stable state...dormant)

In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag containing the dry**, unrooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week,better yet,twice a week. Partially puff the bag before sealing with your breath...
Cuttings that are kept in the refrigerator this way actually will root faster than conventional non-refrigerated cuttings once they are removed from the coolness of the refrigerator on up to a point of about 2 or 3 weeks, which at that time they will take proceed to take longer to root and you may even just lose a few. 
Important: When they are removed from the refrigerator to be rooted, be sure to recut the stem.

The holding of cuttings in "fridge stasis" opens the door to many possibilities such as... testing many different males, holding strains while evaluating, changing the way you time your mothers,... etc..

Quote:
**When we take clones they go in marked thick freezer bags with a mist of water but not to much.-Subcool

• Dekay, 2scoops, Lab Rat and 4 others like this

#8 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

How long have you had a rooted clone refrigarated, can these be kept alot longer and would they still need a humidity dome/bag ?

• Lab Rat, duke, Paulie and 2 others like this

#9 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

How long have you had a rooted clone refrigarated, can these be kept alot longer and would they still need a humidity dome/bag ?

the 2 clones posted above have been 9 weeks now in a plastic bag blown up,i think the reason for the bag is more to protect the plant cells from freezing and not to sure about trying it without as i only have the 2 clones to experiment with atm i have as said had unrooted cutts last 4 months and still root in quicker time than normal im guessing its the plants effort to reproduce asap after a period of inactivity.i am hoping the 2 clones will last another 4-6 weeks and then be vegged out for scrogging which takes me a few weeks so plenty of time for full recovery and being sure they fully vigorous and awake for flower time,i love experimenting pushing my boundaries and beyond the unquenchable thirst for green knowledge!peace

• Dekay, 2scoops, Lab Rat and 3 others like this

#10 mrsDeeks

mrsDeeks

Mrs Deeks

• Banned
  • 10,342 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:40 AM

its a nice addition to the salad drawer :)

• Dekay, 2scoops, Lab Rat and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clones, refridgeration, storage, saving genetics, plant stasis

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.