Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

alcohol reclaim still build duke style!

alcohol reclaim still condenser isopropyl cooling coil pressure vessel extraction

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

hi all well as many of you are aware i make a lot of cannabis oil over the course of the last 3-4 years i have spent many hundreds of pounds on buying isopropyl alcohol for this purpose and only getting to use it once.

well i got to thinking about building a reclaim still to recover the iso for future use saving both money and the enviroment as i have never been happy evaporating iso to the outdoors as it has to end up somewhere!so i have done a bit of research and looked at buying a reclaim still but cost is ludicrous for what it is and me being skint/tightwad decided there has to be a better and cheaper way of doing this so i have thought about it and decided that i will build my own open loop extraction and reclaim unit using all new bits,firstly i have to say this is potentialy very dangerous and unless you are savvy with engineering and playing with pressure vessels its not something to attempt this way and you far better of if you got the dosh to buy a ready made unit,but me being me i have no funds so diy it is!

basically this is what i plan,firstly i have bought a large saucepan and a 1ltr screwtop jar as used for jams and chutneys etcand  this will hold the iso solvent.

from the lid i run a short length of 8mm flexible gas pipe from this it goes through approx 5 mtrs of coiled copper piping (8mm id)about 2.5 mtrs long which is submerged in an ice bath the vapour passes from the pressure cooker down the copper coil where it is cooled and collected at the end in a catch pot.

using this method according to a good thread on skunkpharma i should be able to capture 70% of the isopropyl for future reuse.i have most of the bits but the single hotplate i bought doesnt work and has to be returned so got to wait for that to come back before i can finish building,i have added pics showing the condenser in detail and will be happy to help if needed,i shall get pics up as we go and hopefully show it working soonish,peace

skip to here for mk2 version (much easier)

https://www.t-g-c.nl...style/?p=183072

• Budgie, Dekay, hazed bunny and 12 others like this

#2 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

If my thinking is right on how you do this, well basically are you just distilling it to use again and if so i would think the alcohol would become a better and more pure product to use after each distilation, ot am i miles of with what your gonna be doing here ?

• Dekay, duke, denots and 4 others like this

#3 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

If my thinking is right on how you do this, well basically are you just distilling it to use again and if so i would think the alcohol would become a better and more pure product to use after each distilation, ot am i miles of with what your gonna be doing here ?

hi jimmi not distilling realy,more just catching and cooling the evaporated iso vapours and returning them to there liquid state so we dont keep wasting it into the atmosphere it all sounds simple enough the trick is not blowing up!i think being a mechanic and semi skilled plumber i should manage,the maiden voyage may be a nervous one though,peace

• Dekay, 2scoops, denots and 4 others like this

#4 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

It's not really a still in that sense, it's a condensor/collector/reclaim system :)

Simple distillation won't purify ispropyl alcohol beyond about 88% anyway, though, and other techniques are required.
  • Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 5 others like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

It's not really a still in that sense, it's a condensor/collector/reclaim system :)

Simple distillation won't purify ispropyl alcohol beyond about 88% anyway, though, and other techniques are required.

i didnt know what to call it,ebay has loads of different names for it thats how i ended up with so many tags!i will be happy if it works and can reclaim the 70% it would save us a lot of dosh i can then put to better use buying tools for the garden!peace

• Dekay, denots, Roy Cropper and 2 others like this

#6 Roy Cropper

Roy Cropper

grow, smoke, eat, repeat.

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

reclaiming iso in a closed loop system, sounds interesting, will follow this one m8, seen it done abroad with butane, was basically a load of air con equipment and a big silver shiny thing lol ! sounds the bollocks tho, with the iso, cos from what i hear about reclaiming butane in a cls it could do with being distilled, down to a mystery oil within the butane, still with me ?, but iso however is already 99.9% when first used

get it done and show us pics lol 

please ! 

Roy

Edited by Roy Cropper, 23 November 2015 - 05:21 PM.

• duke, denots, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#7 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

reclaiming iso in a closed loop system, sounds interesting, will follow this one m8, seen it done abroad with butane, was basically a load of air con equipment and a big silver shiny thing lol ! sounds the bollocks tho, with the iso, cos from what i hear about reclaiming butane in a cls it could do with being distilled, down to a mystery oil within the butane, still with me ?, but iso however is already 99.9% when first used

get it done and show us pics lol 

please ! 

Roy

hi roy yes i got the new pressure cooker the flexi gas pipe and ordered the 8mm copper tubing today,i have to return the single hob electric cooker first as it doesnt work!i have pipe benders and assorted taps and fittings so in the next week or two should be ready which if it works ok will save me lots of money,well mimimum £15 for 5ltr iso x atleast 12 times a year and it soon adds up to more than pocket change so even if it recovers half the iso from each run it would be cost effective and im quite good at recycling and repurposing things i will get pics along the way,thanks for looking in,it was this thread on good old skunkpharma that got me building    http://skunkpharmres...-reclaim-still/                                                                           peace

• Dekay, denots, Roy Cropper and 2 others like this

#8 Roy Cropper

Roy Cropper

grow, smoke, eat, repeat.

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

Just a thought I know it's different to bho so im guessing there will be next to no pressure at all but if there is you might wanna look at fridge pipe (air con copper tube) can withstand more pressure than plumbers copper tube and also comes polished and capped, 8mm would be 3/8" or around there I reckon, one thing I've noticed with all these extractors cls and so on is they all tend to use refrigeration parts, anyway that's enough bollocks from me I'm off to check the link !

Dam in the morning ! Oush
  • Dekay, duke, denots and 2 others like this

#9 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

pressure [...] capped

I'm not sure I'd want any pressure build up in such a system, and would aim for making it as as open and unrestricted as possible.

The pressure cooker isn't (or shouldn't) be generating pressure — It's just a handy sealed vessel with an outlet for attaching a pipe :)
  • duke, denots, Roy Cropper and 2 others like this

#10 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

I hope this doesnt become the duke got blown up thread, play safe mate and dont smoke while you doing it all lol :P

• duke, KiefKat, denots and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol reclaim, still, condenser, isopropyl, cooling coil, pressure vessel, extraction

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.