• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

hi all i decided it was time we had a scrog guide and growers thread after talking with azza we decided to do a joint effort hopefully showing 2 different perspectives of achieving a net full of buds!i will start and hope azza and any other scrog growers or people thinking of trying this method will add there input.

i have about 7 scrog grows under me belt now and have it working well for me with minimum effort and i think my method could safely be called"the lazy mans scrog" i have pictures taken from seed to harvest of my afghan1 scrog from early this year and will attempt as best i can to explain my methods and the how and why of all the various bits needed for a successful scrog grow.

well i guess we start with a seed!my germ method again is simple i first soak the seeds overnight in a glass of water as soon as they show any sign of white bits they go straight into individual small pots(pudding bowls)of coco and under 24hr light under my 160w pl4 fluroes the coco is inert and as yet has no feed at all added this imo is very important and makes roots grow quicker also important is a small fan blowing gently on the seedlings this helps strengthen the mainstem and wards of damping of disease.

the first feed will only be given once the cotelydons or seed leaves become yellow until then the seedling gets all it needs from the stored nutrients in the seed leaves,first feed should be low ec mine is .60ec inc bg.

i repot after 2 weeks growth into 6inch pots and this is when training proper really starts,first i will top the plant by removing the top at the 4th set of leaves and then give a week to 10 days recovery time after which the side branches will have grown out and can be topped as well same method will be applied multiple times over the next few weeks also supercrop every single branch this you can be fairly ruthless about at this point as it is of great benefit later when horizontal growth is established on atleast the top 2/3rds of the plant you then remove the bottom 3rd of small branches and stems which are not used in scrog and will cause problems if not removed and now without a net is easy.

for the next month or so all we do is veg and supercrop top and bend cease all training and repot into final pot a week before introducing change to 12-12 and wait 2-3 weeks using metal halide bulb before fitting your scrog net this way you have masses of budsites which are clearly visible and easy to line up with the holes in a matter of minutes and as we spent much time training now you simply switch to your hps bulb and watch the buds grow into a mass of budsites little to no more guidance or training is needed with an indica dominant strain,sativas maybe longer!

i shall go through and add the pictures shortly and expect azza will be along with his input shortly,peace all.

right this is the size your seedling can start training for scrog Attached File  tgc afghani and co 005.JPG   186.09KB   8 downloads

this shows the plant after first topping note side branch elogation Attached File  ghani progress 008.JPG   144.89KB   8 downloads

this shows same plant 2 weeks and another all over topping and supercroppingAttached File  sc afghan kush3 008.JPG   257.24KB   7 downloads

this shows the same plant 1 month later Attached File  first a1 scrog 001.JPG   240.45KB   7 downloads

this is after a week under the net using 250w hpsAttached File  led pics scrog 006.JPG   221.54KB   7 downloads

another week later no more training needed Attached File  scrog flip1 006.JPG   212.56KB   7 downloads

another few days andAttached File  scrogday2 flower 003.JPG   206.08KB   8 downloads

again a few more days later 

again few days Attached File  scrog4 kush 14 06 15 009.JPG   215.82KB   7 downloads

all the rest are a few days to a week apart,Attached File  scrog 15 06 15 002.JPG   211.39KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog kush 5 18 6 15 012.JPG   210.64KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog day 11-20 6 15 002.JPG   253.52KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog 6 23 6 15hps 001.JPG   272.42KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog 30 06 15 004.JPG   270.31KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog dog 05 08 15 005.JPG   406.79KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog 06 08 15 006.JPG   249.58KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog 080815 001.JPG   301.97KB   8 downloadsAttached File  scrog 10 08 15 005.JPG   369.16KB   7 downloadsAttached File  scrog 11 08 15 day 65 001.JPG   305.43KB   8 downloadsAttached File  scrog harvest 001.JPG   115.85KB   9 downloads

Attached File  scrog harvest 002.JPG   114KB   8 downloadsAttached File  scrog harvest 003.JPG   193.42KB   8 downloadsAttached File  scrog harvest 003.JPG   193.42KB   8 downloads

Attached Files

• hazed bunny, 2scoops, revert and 12 others like this

#2 A1 Sativa

A1 Sativa

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

The scrogs that I do are using strains with a minimum of 60% sativa  which i think suit the system better. But also for me i much prefer the Sativa  high and I smoke all day , I look for strains the Breeders advise not giving  a long veg period to and then ignoring the advice and  vegging them for a couple of months

DSC 0726
DSC 0728

The important thing for me with scrogs is the fact that it's high yields from low numbers of plants. This is really beneficial to medical users in need of oil which takes a lot of buds to make. With some UK police forces publicly announcing they are not targeting growers of a "few" plants such as Durham police.

The longer veg period can be a bit off putting especially if the sativa in the genetics also makes the plant require a longer flower period too compared to something more indica.  However in the warmer half of the year plants can be vegged outdoors and as long as treated for pests brought inside.

DSC 0090
DSC 0041

I usually top the plants at least twice before screen goes in and sometimes i may need to tie the plant to the mesh screen when first putting the screen in but  after installed the plants natural desire to spring back upright after being tucked under the wires keeps things where I want them. My screen I use 2" squares of thick garden wire which really keeps things in place, I hand made my screen making a frame and simply putting screws in around frame at 2" spacings and then wound wire around them to make squares and tying the joins with wire twists. Next time I'd just buy some 2" mesh and staple to the frame I think.

DSC 0284
DSC 0329
DSC 0575
DSC 0718
DSC 0432

I focus on getting one  internode and node into each mesh square and this is what I look at when I'm tucking the stems under wire. Every nodal point will produce a tall sativa bud stem that may stretch up for 4 to 5 weeks in flower before fattening up into a nice bud. When the squares of mesh have around 70% of squares with nodes in I then switch to flower and only tuck under once more around 3 or 4 days after cycle switch.

I like to try and get the plant to focus it's energy into above screen production only and remove lower screen leaves and stems that haven't made the top. This I do in stages spread over a few weeks in early flower to avoid stress and  plant has enough above screen growth to not really be fussed by the loss. 

My screen is about 1m square although tent is 1.2m square so probably somewhere between those 2 figures. On my scrog grows I've done C99, Cotton Candy, Caramello ,and Critical Super Silver Haze. Each grow has had a completely different number of plants under the screen but as long as the screen is full the yield is exactly the same give or take at around 500g per screen.

DSC 1071

Air flow is really important around a screen full of buds as mould could spread quickly so once the plants stopped stretching and the frame work for  buds in place in the best available light spot in tent i put in a large fan blowing up directly through the canopy.  During flower the removal of any big fan leaves that are blocking out light to buds lower down are removed. The plant should at this stage have plenty of small thinner bladed leaves by this stage and gets it's energy now from having a mass of these rather then needing the wider fan leaves it needed earlier on to establish.

I wouldn't grow any other way now as it suites my personal need for an all day uplifting high. 

Edited by Azza, 24 November 2015 - 02:53 PM.

• Budgie, mellowed, hazed bunny and 10 others like this

#3 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

nice one @Azza thanks for your input im sure it will help anyone with the more sativa leaning tastes to get more out there grows,peace

• Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#4 28grams

28grams

spliff smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Brilliant thread. Thanks for sharing.
  • duke, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

Brilliant thread. Thanks for sharing.

hi 28g are you planning a scrog grow then?if so get a diary up and we can all share,peace

• 28grams, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#6 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Really good thread. Bookmarked. Thanks Duke & Azza

• duke, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#7 28grams

28grams

spliff smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

hi 28g are you planning a scrog grow then?if so get a diary up and we can all share,peace

Hiya mate. Yeah I've done a few grows now. I'm no expert but I like to save myself some money growing 2 plants at a time. Space is limited too so I've just done some topping and then tied it all down 2 weeks later each branch tied down. Thrown a screen over it and now waiting for them to grow up into the screen then I'll start pulling the shoots back down through the scrog x
  • 2scoops, duke, Horse Badorties and 1 other like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hiya mate. Yeah I've done a few grows now. I'm no expert but I like to save myself some money growing 2 plants at a time. Space is limited too so I've just done some topping and then tied it all down 2 weeks later each branch tied down. Thrown a screen over it and now waiting for them to grow up into the screen then I'll start pulling the shoots back down through the scrog x

have you got a diary going yet?scrog is best for small spaces and means no wasted light important with small lights mines 250w now but started out with fluroes which are great for scrog grows,good luck

• 28grams, Horse Badorties and no1 like this

#9 28grams

28grams

spliff smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

I think my tent is 60x60x120 and I started out with a 250 light too but my Temps were fine using a 5" filter and passive air intake I took it up to a 400w bulb Temps still fine but I wouldn't take it any higher. No diary going. Tbh I don't have enough time. With work and family I just browse this forum now nd then ever since thctalk was ruined. I'll be sure to take a few snaps and at some point when I do get a min to myself throw them into a thread and do a small write up. :) x
  • revert, duke, olmec and 2 others like this

#10 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,007 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

hi all as we seem to have a few folk trying out there hand at the scrog method i thought i would add a few more pics to this thread in hope of inspiring more scrog grows here on the circle as i really think it a much underused method with many benefits anyway some pics here from my little wardrobe scrog of various strains in various stages of scrog growing,enjoy

Attached Files

• Horse Badorties, no1, Nefarious Shenanigans and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.