• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

Just like to add that light passes through leaves as well it isnt blocked and shade still receives it but it is lessened because it is being used by upper ones, that are newer and more active leaves with less chance to be deficient and therefore far better at their job than lower ones, trichs are produced by intensity but it doesnt have to be directly onto bud the smaller leaves in the bud are less efficient and therefore better as secondary light to energy producers if the big leaves are not doing the job enough, a deficiency in bud leaves means a pretty bad grow.

• Budgie, 2scoops, Lab Rat and 3 others like this

#2 usibl

usibl

the be-loved Random March Pixie

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:10 AM

hmmm ... deffo food for thot ...

speaking only for myself Ive transitioned from a leaf plucker to a leaf keeper.

lol I had some early grows w wonky nutes and bare stemed plants, krikee ...

but w proper nutes n all, my plants stay healthy n green top to bottom

well until natural aging starts in on the low down big old fans ya know.

but then there's training ...specifically mainlining. I do like the looks of some of those

proper mailined-trained plants - seen some real stonkers!.

thatsa special circumstance I suppose tho, like nippin off a cutting to root, or topping

but just for "trying to force plant to concentrate on developing buds" Im in the camp

In general I try to keep every one thru its natural course.

the perspective Im following is, if something goes wrong - esp'ly dont cut off the effected leafs.

they will show if Rx worked & plant stabilizes. If cut off at first signs, will just move to more leafs

that mighta been saved.

cheers mates. thanks for listening the pixie ramble

• Budgie, Dekay, Lab Rat and 3 others like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'm a leave them be grower too.
But, there is a school of thought that plant stresses can increase thc/ potency, usually by defoliating fan leaves in the final stages of flowering.
What are peoples thoughts/experiences on this? And does anyone fancy a little grow experiment to test this theory out?
  • Mrs Willy, Dekay, 2scoops and 4 others like this

#4 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

But, there is a school of thought that plant stresses can increase thc/ potency, usually by defoliating fan leaves in the final stages of flowering.
What are peoples thoughts/experiences on this? And does anyone fancy a little grow experiment to test this theory out?

i do believe krazydave did some of this defoliating vs non defoliating and found as i thought it really doesnt work with weed being an annual plant with relatively short natural lifespan "compensatory photosynthesis" the theory by which this is based on only really works for long lived plants trees and shrubs etc and is a no go for annuals without artificialy extending there lifespan and time needed to produce a crop of any notable yeild increase would take so long as to be not worth it,but there are advocates about and some say it works,however having never seen any evidence on this i remain sceptical,peace

• Budgie, Dekay, Lab Rat and 2 others like this

#5 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

i do believe krazydave did some of this defoliating vs non defoliating and found as i thought it really doesnt work with weed being an annual plant with relatively short natural lifespan "compensatory photosynthesis" the theory by which this is based on only really works for long lived plants trees and shrubs etc and is a no go for annuals without artificialy extending there lifespan and time needed to produce a crop of any notable yeild increase would take so long as to be not worth it,but there are advocates about and some say it works,however having never seen any evidence on this i remain sceptical,peace

I agree with that, but I wasn't thinking about increases in yield, but increases in the potency of the buds. More along the lines of the plant is entering its final push of trichome production and the stress of the defoliation causes an increase in this? As well as removing/reducing its ability to extend flowering, almost like a forced finish.

• Dekay, duke, usibl and 1 other like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

I agree with that, but I wasn't thinking about increases in yield, but increases in the potency of the buds. More along the lines of the plant is entering its final push of trichome production and the stress of the defoliation causes an increase in this? As well as removing/reducing its ability to extend flowering, almost like a forced finish.

i think the bugs in my garden had the same idea!they stripped nearly every leaf from 2 plants in early flower and so far i managed a crop from both allthough much reduced yeild and far leafier mass sugar leaves and as you can imagine flowering was slowed by 6 weeks yet the finished product is much as it would be potency wise and it makes me wonder at the marvels of this plant to go through hell and still finish,i will let you do this experiment though as i have a few going myself atm,peace

• Budgie, Dekay, usibl and 1 other like this

#7 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

mmmmm, 4 clones. 1 deleafed mid veg, 1 in early flower, 1 in late flower, 1 untouched control plant...........

anyone up for it?

• duke, stephen07, usibl and 1 other like this

#8 stephen07

stephen07

Content

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

@FT101 his tent will empty again soon [emoji23]
Great idea budgie .
  • Budgie, duke and usibl like this

#9 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:47 AM

Iv`e done this with clones, not really an experiment but the last 3 weeks i defoliated the plant heavily and i did alright, but it was in my early days of growing, i did the grow many more times with the same mom`ed cutts grown in the same style and tbh i didn`t notice much difference in yield or potency but wasn`t taking much notice either, it`s kinda a bit distant now too :). Iv`e also stook a big knife through the main stem splitting it right down low to shock the plant late on and left it in till chop to no ill effect, never noticed any difference in strength either, it all mashed up my blood clot,  my thoughts now are let the plant be to do it`s own thing.

Cool video about shocking em, good and bad shock.

• Budgie, Dekay, duke and 3 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.