7 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

We've all as growers heard of it, and to the best of our abilities aim for it but, just what is 'Peak Potency' and what does it really mean, or, rather, what do we think it means?

• duke and usibl like this

#2 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,599 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Maybe it`s down to peoples individual preferences that one ?

• Budgie, duke, Zipp and 1 other like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Personal prefs (after a couple of grows pof the same strain) certainly, but how does peak-potency apply to high cbd strains?

• 2scoops, duke and usibl like this

#4 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

hi bud my understanding of it is the main criteria for cbd is maturity the plant needs to do the full cycle through to a good amount of amber trichomes as cbd is one of the last cannabinoids to be produced but imo there is a fine line between mature and overcooked strain dependent and indeed personal taste/need means other than the need for a full grow cycle its a case of patience and some luck in timing it right and nothing throwing of your schedule,like my bastard timer!!!!!!!!!!!!peace

m

• Budgie, 2scoops, usibl and 1 other like this

#5 Funky

Funky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

@duke What happens when you over-cook a plant and how many weeks does it take (roughky)?
  • duke and usibl like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

@duke What happens when you over-cook a plant and how many weeks does it take (roughky)?

hi it just means you have overshot the point of peak potency roughly 8-9 weeks with indicas after that the thc slowly degrades to cbn a less potent cannabinoid,trichomes are what you need to be looking at they and there colour are best way of judging this in theory peak potency is the window between all cloudy colour trichs and amber anything from all cloudy to 50/50 cloudy/amber can be called ready just depends if you want it for meds or toking leave longer for meds till many amber is best,but for toking all cloudy is best imo,peace

• Budgie, revert, usibl and 2 others like this

#7 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

I gave up all that waiting for trichomes to go cloudy, amber etc. Some plants the trichomes never change. Also dependant on where on the plant you look willl give different results. Gave up looking at the pistils, they always put new ones out. I just look at the plant and if it looks grown I chop it. Even the flowering times most of these breeders give is tosh and you can easily add a couple of weeks extra to most. I spose to really get peak potency then just grow plants you know are strong as hell, cuts from mums.

Edited by Ken Erbis, 10 March 2016 - 05:59 PM.

• Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 1 other like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I gave up all that waiting for trichomes to go cloudy, amber etc. Some plants the trichomes never change. Also dependant on where on the plant you look willl give different results. Gave up looking at the pistils, they always put new ones out. I just look at the plant and if it looks grown I chop it. Even the flowering times most of these breeders give is tosh and you can easily add a couple of weeks extra to most. I spose to really get peak potency then just grow plants you know are strong as hell, cuts from mums.

hi ken yes i found that out after waiting 11 weeks and 3 days for a sativa to amber up,only to find many never do and i had to just guess but the fecker made it hard by keep on growing new pistils and god knows how long it would go on for i lost patience at 13 weeks and chopped it,it was not good and was very paranoia making shaky legs stuff i ended up giving most of it away!thats why i tend to stick with pure indicas as they do reliably amber at maturity esp my afghanis like clockwork they are,peace

• Budgie, 2scoops, usibl and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peak Potency, potency, thc, cbd, maturity, cannabinoid

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.