• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

Is there s risk noobs will be sent crap seeds? Should there be a limit on age of seeds/how they are strored/etc?

no funky i think most have some sense in this regard i only send out seedbank seeds or if they homemade they have been test run by several peeps and if suspect the recipient is made aware of such in my case my seeds are cold dry stored in a humidor in which they remain viable many years.we all been there and imo very unlikely to knowingly send dud beans,peace

• Budgie, Dekay, denots and 4 others like this

#12 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

Daft as a brush and twice as hairy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

I think that listing what's available might make it look like/turn it into a request thing, whereas it's more a case of "here's a present to make up for your loss"As for criteria.. A failed diary, maybe?

I think they should at the least have a diary up but also be active on the forum, like goodbugie said we don't want people grabbing n running!

Is there s risk noobs will be sent crap seeds? Should there be a limit on age of seeds/how they are strored/etc?

Hopefully people will only donate viable seeds! I'd be up for buying a few extra seeds from herbies or where ever to chuck in the kitty. I was thinking it would be cool if people donated pretty bombproof strains like a nice hardy Kesh, that way the new grower stands an even better chance of getting to harvest!

no funky i think most have some sense in this regard i only send out seedbank seeds or if they homemade they have been test run by several peeps and if suspect the recipient is made aware of such in my case my seeds are cold dry stored in a humidor in which they remain viable many years.we all been there and imo very unlikely to knowingly send dud beans,peace

How should I be storing my seeds duke mate? They are currently in a little box on the side, should I put em in the fridge or something?
  • Budgie, duke, denots and 2 others like this

#13 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

I think they should at the least have a diary up but also be active on the forum, like goodbugie said we don't want people grabbing n running!

Doesn't a diary count as active? unsure.gif

How should I be storing my seeds?

The Millenium Seed Bank at Kew dries them to 15% relative humidity; packs them into sealed containers along with some silica gel acclimatised to the same 15% RH; and then freezes them at -18°C.

I'm too scared to freeze mine, so I keep them with a sachet of silica gel, in a properly-airtight plastic tub, in the bottom of the fridge.
  • Budgie, duke, denots and 4 others like this

#14 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

yes in the fridge is good dry and cool is the main thing,i have germed 15 year old seeds before now so as long as they stored right they stay viable,peace

• Budgie, denots, W.S and 3 others like this

#15 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Just want to say this sounds like a cracking idea, a failed grow can be heartbreaking and demoralizing for a newbie grower, anything we can do to help them out and make it easier definitely has my full backing. 

As for the concern about a list just bringing requests for specific strain, how about a donors thread listing by indica/sativa/hybrid, anyone who's up for donating some beans can list what type of strain they're willing to donate but without mentioning specific strains to avoid requests. If a failed diary is going to be the criteria for the beans then maybe replace them with the same type, I.E. send indica dom if they're medi growers, as sativa might not be much use etc. Something to think about. 

ATB 

• Budgie, hazed bunny, duke and 2 others like this

#16 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

Great idea but can I suggest the obverse of what is being suggested. Sod the newbies they always fuvk up decent seed. let them grow hemp. How about us oldies giving our best beans to each other. We all have a lot of rare n sort after beans, well fuck that shit. Growing cannabis aint a fashion event of keepers and elite cuttings. We all know thats pretty bogus, even some of us realising that were just growing the same strain different pheno. Well how about I know I have great seeds no hype. If your old time grower with a finished diary and youre going to grow them on here the I have purple strorm, oaxacan, aztec rain and a very few medicine man for you oldies to try

The aztec, purple and oaxacan are not strong strains just rare mexican and funky

The med man is big yielding  easy grow and yet to be seen potent

Also some sniesel beans from jf, snow white x diesel

Edited by Ken Erbis, 16 March 2016 - 12:10 AM.

• Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#17 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

Whats up @Ken Erbis, feeling a bit left out? :)

Personally I think both options have their benefits (good genes in the beans for free), and disadvantages (security and perceived elitism/cliquishness)

At the end of I'm be happy so long as things are kept safe, discreet and simple (bit like growing really) for both newbies, and the not-so-newby growers/members :ninja: :joint:

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming peeps  :idea:  who knows where this might lead......

• 2scoops, duke, denots and 2 others like this

#18 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

Not left out, just a bean collection Im never likely to grow. I dont care quite honestly newbies fucking beans up is called learning quite honestly. As for older folk Im surprised were all still searching for a gem when weve grown so many gems and let them go. Medicine man, 400 aperture of squares in a 1 m tent  is my zen.  Fuck em all 

• Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 2 others like this

#19 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hmm... I can see your point Ken, maybe a similar thread for more experienced growers, regulars looking to grow out something special, or a nice little treat for an exceptional diary etc. Possibly set the criteria at 2-3 completed diaries or a hundred or so posts (just thinking of Dukes never ending diary, it would be possible to have hundreds of posts without meeting the diary requirements), that way anyone who gets them is an established member, and would be grown here. Just my 2P :D
  • Budgie, duke and CountryBoy like this

#20 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

Daft as a brush and twice as hairy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

Doesn't a diary count as active? unsure.gif The Millenium Seed Bank at Kew dries them to 15% relative humidity; packs them into sealed containers along with some silica gel acclimatised to the same 15% RH; and then freezes them at -18°C.I'm too scared to freeze mine, so I keep them with a sachet of silica gel, in a properly-airtight plastic tub, in the bottom of the fridge.

I dunno but that, you could have a diary up n only post once a fortnight or what ever, n that's not what I would really call active! that's some interesting stuff about the seeds, I'll be putting em in a air tight box in the fridge!

Just want to say this sounds like a cracking idea, a failed grow can be heartbreaking and demoralizing for a newbie grower, anything we can do to help them out and make it easier definitely has my full backing. 
As for the concern about a list just bringing requests for specific strain, how about a donors thread listing by indica/sativa/hybrid, anyone who's up for donating some beans can list what type of strain they're willing to donate but without mentioning specific strains to avoid requests. If a failed diary is going to be the criteria for the beans then maybe replace them with the same type, I.E. send indica dom if they're medi growers, as sativa might not be much use etc. Something to think about. 

ATB

Init mate, I've had a few go wrong in the past n it is heartbreaking, especially when the end is in sight n you get a pest or mould infestation or some shit! I was kinda thinking more along the lines of people donating known hardy strains. I fucked up my first couple of grows, but then for my third I was given some kush cuttings off a mate. He knew they could take some abuse (and they did lol) the grow came out ok and it gave me a right confidence boost! If we could do that for a few others it would be great!

Great idea but can I suggest the obverse of what is being suggested. Sod the newbies they always fuvk up decent seed. let them grow hemp. How about us oldies giving our best beans to each other. We all have a lot of rare n sort after beans, well fuck that shit. Growing cannabis aint a fashion event of keepers and elite cuttings. We all know thats pretty bogus, even some of us realising that were just growing the same strain different pheno. Well how about I know I have great seeds no hype. If your old time grower with a finished diary and youre going to grow them on here the I have purple strorm, oaxacan, aztec rain and a very few medicine man for you oldies to try

The aztec, purple and oaxacan are not strong strains just rare mexican and funky

The med man is big yielding  easy grow and yet to be seen potent

Also some sniesel beans from jf, snow white x diesel

I can see what you're saying ken mate, it would be cool for seasoned growers to pass around rare strains n that, but I would rather get more people into growing in the first place! I've helped 4 mates set up little percy grows now, the way I see it the more people that grow for them selves the harder it will be for the old bill to stop us!
  • Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.