13 replies to this topic

#1 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

Lol ill be known as the one who asks allot, I only been growing indoor for just over a year so please bare with me :)

Sooooo

Hi all I hate perlite or other distinctive things in soil..

I'm gonna try a different soil to the one I'm using and the drainage is not as good...so can use stones instead?

I was wondering if I should do it in certain way since it stones or just mix as I would perlite?

Stones have been washed really well with boiling hot water...

lol I got a feeling it's a bad question but stuff it gotta be asked
  • mellowed, duke and Cheeseman like this

#2 KiefKat

KiefKat

TGC DJ

• Sleeping Mods
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

I'm using a mixture of vermiculite, horticultural grit and compost in my grow atm (link in sig) - early days yet but not encountering any major issues. I went with a 50% soil, 25% verm. and 25% grit mix - drainage is very good and I haven't yet noticed the mix settle as much as when I just used perlite.

• duke and Dex like this

#3 Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Salmoneye Warrior

• Respected User
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

in my garden I put a layer of stones/ gravel /broken clay pots,in bottom of pots for drainage as the pots sit on the floor but never actually done it with ganj plants indoors,can't see the problem myself mate go for it,makes sense really as perlite is blatant as fuck as you say.
  • duke, Dex and madgoose like this

#4 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Stones hold water, perlite doesnt.  Like comparing bingo and monopoly. Just water from the bottom, if you top water you risk stem rot, make the roots lazy, leach minerals etc etc but I think I already said that somewhere else.

• 2scoops, duke, Slippery and 1 other like this

#5 Funky

Funky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

What do you mean by stones exactly? Tyoe of stone/size?
  • KiefKat and Dex like this

#6 KiefKat

KiefKat

TGC DJ

• Sleeping Mods
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

What do you mean by stones exactly? Tyoe of stone/size?

Good point, there is a huge difference between stones taken from a garden or elsewhere compared to the grit I have used, which is quite fine. I'm not saying what I've done is going to be any better than using a soil/perlite mix but I'm happy enough with how it's going so far.

Also, I saw no need to wash the grit before use - it's sold in the garden centre to add drainage to soil and wasn't exactly dusty to start (in fact I think it came pre-rinsed). I'm actually quite curious now as to how the rootball will look when this grow is done - will definitely check it out at the end of the grow (about 6-7 weeks time).

• duke and Dex like this

#7 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

You can water soil carefully and not need perlite to provide air to the roots.

But it can be a pita and requires very slow, regular watering to maintain the air in teh soil.

Watering regularly is actually a great way to grow imho. Kind of little bits gently and very often, so you are just keeping the soil moist and fluffy.

Stones im not sure. Ive never had a problem with perlite and didnt like vermutulite or whatever its called. (Ive no idea why people want to put noodles in the soil).

:)

• duke and Dex like this

#8 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

i experimented with this before and it didnt work out, but that was probably because i didnt wash them in boiled water.
Why skimp on the soil for the plants in the first place, when you know it doesnt drain as well/?.

I used the clay balls (hydroton) at the bottom of pots when i did coco, to stop the fine coco from washin away, and it could be an option.

I also did soil/vermiculite and soil/ perlite side by side same strain, and the perlite mix pissed all over the vermiculite, (sorry keifkat).

Problem was the vermiculite held onto water where the perlite helped drain it away, which helped aeriate the root zone. I did both mixes at 20% perlite to 80% verve multi purpose, and added dolomite lime and mychorizzo (root jrow) to both in equal amounts.

these 2 thinjs alone are very very nice in soil and definitely help the plants development, the mychorizo to colonise the root zone and the dolomite to act as an additional PH buffer to the soil mix.

I bought different soil for my vegetables and I didn't want to use the menu soil that have and currently using because of ph issues it causes after about a month...

The only reason I am avoiding perlite is because I normally put my soil into my back garden lawn and so on... Perlite is very noticeable and I live in ghetto :).
By the looks of things I probably will order some by Friday lol.

#9 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

i experimented with this before and it didnt work out, but that was probably because i didnt wash them in boiled water.
Why skimp on the soil for the plants in the first place, when you know it doesnt drain as well/?.

I used the clay balls (hydroton) at the bottom of pots when i did coco, to stop the fine coco from washin away, and it could be an option.

I also did soil/vermiculite and soil/ perlite side by side same strain, and the perlite mix pissed all over the vermiculite, (sorry keifkat).

Problem was the vermiculite held onto water where the perlite helped drain it away, which helped aeriate the root zone. I did both mixes at 20% perlite to 80% verve multi purpose, and added dolomite lime and mychorizzo (root jrow) to both in equal amounts.

these 2 thinjs alone are very very nice in soil and definitely help the plants development, the mychorizo to colonise the root zone and the dolomite to act as an additional PH buffer to the soil mix.

Thank you very much for that buddy and I will look into getting some.

Really appreciate your information :)

#10 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

i`d run the perlite bach,stones imo would be to cold in the pots e.g cold roots fuck all on the fruits !!!!!  perlite on the other hand stays alot warmer or is easily warmed by the medium !!!

BUT FFS BE CAREFUL EWE DONT BREATHE PERLITE IN....ITS REAL BAD FOR YA LUNGS / CHEST LIKE......i remember breathing a few lungs in 1 day,i exhaled it was just like i was on one of them E/CIGGYS thingys  a fucking cloud come out it did,i now wet it outside with hosepipe before i use it,,,,its great for drainage and holds water well

p.s  its a 10 from len perlite :D

• Dex likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.