Photo
- - - - -

Winterising extracts, Country boy style!

Bho Winterising Concentrates

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

Daft as a brush and twice as hairy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

For those of you that don't know what winterising is, it's a process that purifies bho and other extracts, it removes all the plant waxes (I think they are called lipids) and any butane residue left behind after extraction.

To winterise some bho you will need:
•Some bho (obviously)
•Some iso alcohol (if you want to do it properly use ethanol, but iso is half the price and seems to work just as well)
•A coffee filter
•Some pyrex jugs
•A freezer
•A slow cooker, hot plate or heat mat

Now this is in no way a definitive guide, I'm sure some 'budding' ganja chemists out there would freak out at my methods, but it's worked twice for me now and I didn't blow the flat up!

Firstly you need to chuck all the kit (pyrex, filter, iso) in the freezer, get it all nice and cold.

gallery_899_357_142598.jpg

I warmed up a batch of de carbed bho from my last run and dissolved it in the cold iso, but you can also do it at the extraction stage. Just run the butane through your tube as normal, but extract into a cold jug in a cool box full of ice. Then add the cold iso. The iso reacts with the butane, purging it out quicker than heating. This is the dangerous bit, no naked flames/sources of ignition, good ventilation etc etc.
Once the main reaction is over place the jug in the freezer (be warned, those frost free freezers can spark and that can kick off any butane that's left).

Leave the jug in the freezer for 48 hours and you should be left with something like this (I know, it's a plastic pot, but I couldn't find a suitable glass one)

gallery_899_357_79002.jpg

All that sediment is what we want rid off, so we chuck it through a coffee filter like so

gallery_899_357_63008.jpg

You want it all to stay as cold as possible so leave it in the freezer to filter. Once all the iso has drained through you will be left with all the waxy crap in the filter

gallery_899_357_152780.jpg

And a jug full of crystal clear iso

gallery_899_357_120815.jpg

Now it's time to evaporate off the iso, pour the mix out of the frozen jug into a room temperature one (the frozen one may shatter when heated) and place it on your heat source. In a perfect world I would have a lab grade hot water bath and a ir thermometer to keep it at the optimum temperature, but I don't, so a slow cooker will have to do! With only high and low and no thermometer it's a bit hit n miss, but the caveman rule of thumb is if the water is boiling it's too hot.

gallery_899_357_205784.jpg

Again this bit could be dangerous, good ventilation, no sources of ignition etc etc.

Once the mix has reduced down enough pour it into some oil pots, swilling the mixture round the jug to redissolve any reside left on the sides.

gallery_899_357_94283.jpg

Some people would say to pour it into a flat dish to increase surface area, but then it's a pain in the arse scraping it all up into a pot. Pour it into the pot when it's still liquid and there's no ball ache! You just have to stir it every so often to break the film that forms on top.
And then once all the iso has evaporated off you are left with this

gallery_899_357_106405.jpg

The purest honey oil you can make without a vac chamber!
  • Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bho, Winterising, Concentrates

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.