14 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Just quick thread to show the freeze cure method I use. I will also use a control sample separately cured in a conventional jar, burp and cure method to see if there is any difference after a few months.

The weed I will be using is  freshly dried sugar punch. The stem bends but eventually snaps so I would say it is at the point of jarring but will need regular burping in jarsto drive off the remaining moisture. In the freezer the low temp will drive off moisture but also prevent botrytis or any bacteria which could be harmful, something not always possible in jars.

Two jars of the same weed, sugarpunch.

[attachment=34321:IMG_0103.JPG][attachment=34322:IMG_0104.JPG][attachment=34323:IMG_0106.JPG][attachment=34324:IMG_0108.JPG][attachment=34325:IMG_0109.JPG][attachment=34326:IMG_0110.JPG][attachment=34327:IMG_0111.JPG]

Vacuum machine and bag.

[attachment=34328:IMG_0116.JPG]

Fill bag with weed

[attachment=34329:IMG_0120.JPG]

Vacuum seal

[attachment=34330:IMG_0121.JPG][attachment=34331:IMG_0122.JPG]

Stick it in the freezer and forget about it.

[attachment=34332:IMG_0123.JPG][attachment=34333:IMG_0124.JPG]

The control jar will be burped over the next couple of weeks until ready to leave to cure in a dark cupboard. Update in 2 months.

• Budgie, 2scoops, Adam Bomb and 11 others like this

#2 CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Excellent! Is the vacuum sealing essential? Looking forward to seeing the results in 2 months!
  • smokin soul, duke, Slippery and 1 other like this

#3 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Excellent! Is the vacuum sealing essential? Looking forward to seeing the results in 2 months!

I would say yes if you dont want the weed to get any nasties but I havent tried it without vacuum. A vacuum sealer stops any smells too.

• CocoMonkey, smokin soul, duke and 1 other like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

A pretty cool guide this is, i`ve always thought about having a go since i saw you mention it, so i could stash some in a fishfingers box and re-glue for a rainy day if shit was ever gonna hit the fan, then i got a streess reliever for when the cuffs come off and the pigs are gone lol. How much are those machines Ken by the way ? cheers m8.

• CocoMonkey, duke, Slippery and 1 other like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

hi i guess its something you have to try but im dubious as surely freezing stops the curing proccess and the result would be questionable i think after all the effort of growing it and drying it the cure is part of the ritual for us old timers burping the jars somewhat of a tradition,maybe once burped then freeze for longer term storage i get that makes sense,or am i miles of?peace

• CocoMonkey, Slippery and Ken Erbis like this

#6 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

hi i guess its something you have to try but im dubious as surely freezing stops the curing proccess and the result would be questionable i think after all the effort of growing it and drying it the cure is part of the ritual for us old timers burping the jars somewhat of a tradition,maybe once burped then freeze for longer term storage i get that makes sense,or am i miles of?peace

Maybe ask what the curing process is, the breakdown of chlorophil at its simplistic (which in turn results in flavour, texture, etc cure) 

. Does chlorophil it break down in the dark, yes. Does it breakdown in the dark of the freezer, yes. Cant see any flaw. I knew someone would bring this up thats why Ive done a comparative test.

• Budgie, CocoMonkey, smokin soul and 4 others like this

#7 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

A pretty cool guide this is, i`ve always thought about having a go since i saw you mention it, so i could stash some in a fishfingers box and re-glue for a rainy day if shit was ever gonna hit the fan, then i got a streess reliever for when the cuffs come off and the pigs are gone lol. How much are those machines Ken by the way ? cheers m8.

Only about 20 quid jimmi for cheapie. Smell proof too.

• Budgie, 2scoops, CocoMonkey and 1 other like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

Maybe ask what the curing process is, the breakdown of chlorophil at its simplistic (which in turn results in flavour, texture, etc cure) 

. Does chlorophil it break down in the dark, yes. Does it breakdown in the dark of the freezer, yes. Cant see any flaw. I knew someone would bring this up thats why Ive done a comparative test.

hi ken im not knocking it i just have an enquiring mind!aka nosey! but surely freezing would stop curing in its tracks so it never happens?maybe i will try it with a little bit and see,peace

• 2scoops, CocoMonkey and Ken Erbis like this

#9 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

hi ken im not knocking it i just have an enquiring mind!aka nosey! but surely freezing would stop curing in its tracks so it never happens?maybe i will try it with a little bit and see,peace

I understand what you are saying duke, freezing would result in animated suspension like when you freeze cuttings to save for later. I will do an honest comparison after 2 months. Maybe try a bit yourself duke, Im not sure the vacuum adds much so a tied plastic bag with the air squeezed out should do..

• 2scoops, smokin soul, duke and 3 others like this

#10 Roy Cropper

Roy Cropper

grow, smoke, eat, repeat.

• Respected User
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

I do know that when I put ice o later in the freezer it pushes the moisture from the inside out ! Dunno if this would do the same to bud ? Just thought I'd mention it ! Fuck all to do with what your on about now I read it back, but it's quicker to hit the post than delete it all !
  • 2scoops, duke and Ken Erbis like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.