8 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious WD

Notorious WD

Rest in peace V-Max.

• Sleeping Mods
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi folks,

On the cusp of buying some new lights, a 400w and 250w hps for my tents. Lift feeling very warm and keen to keep number of plugs down. Thinking of leds maybe?

If I buy leds, what are the best equivalents I can buy to match the output from the 400 and 250 hps? I know the intensity isnt the same from leds but seen lots of good results.

Thanks
  • Mrs Willy, 2scoops, revert and 3 others like this

#2 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

Leds seem to be doing the trick for a few.

No idea whats best, but in a loft thats what i would do mate.

Can get fakin hot in july up there.

• Notorious WD, 2scoops, revert and 2 others like this

#3 Notorious WD

Notorious WD

Rest in peace V-Max.

• Sleeping Mods
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Its high 20s already swill, come july and august i can see them wearing flip flops and factor 30!
  • duke and Dex like this

#4 revert

revert

wut? where? when?

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

I just tested out some diy leds @Notorious WD

Had really good results with these. Have a look in my diary if you are interested.

• 2scoops, duke and Dex like this

#5 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

If you're not afraid to buy the luxury end of the market, PlantPhotonics or CaliforniaLightworks will do you units that will smash those numbers and draw really very little from the wall. They'll cost you a lot more in initial outlay, but they run cheap. I'd thoroughly read each site.

I mean, I have four DS-90 units and that's 400 total real watts for a stupid amount of light, easily a 1200 equivalent (but with great spread). But you could get just two of them and run 200 watts total cost.

If you're going for Chinese units, a good rule of thumb is to buy the double-number, so something like a BLAH-UNIT 400 and a BLAH-UNIT 800. There are many brands, Mars, Vipar, Spider. Some you can get on EBay UK, others from Alibaba or their website direct. However bear in mind those two units will cost you 600 real watts to run. So an initial saving, but 3x the operational cost.

• duke and Dex like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

@Notorious WD where are you getting your intake air from?if you have anyway to bring the air from outside of the loft will help a bit with temps but tbh lofts are one of the hardest places to set up cold as feck in winter and roasting in summer i have tried it in the past and ended up building a kingspan insulation grow box up there but even that was hard to control temps imo you need to pick extra hardy sorts of strains ones who cope with fluctuations in temps and rh like northern lights and any afghani strains did well tbh i love the drobes now and wouldnt swap for a tent or loft grow the drobes are stealthier by far and though smaller microclimate is stable and plants grow really well,good luck

• revert, Dex and White Warg like this

#7 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

i wont comment in ya tbh  :lol:

• gavin and Dex like this

#8 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:54 AM

@duke you remind me that some people chose to do autos in the loft as it's easier to configure for 24 hours a day rather than configure for a cycle, HPS or an oil radiator in the winter, LED and dial the extraction up in the summer.

Otherwise perhaps @Notorious WD should consider those environmental controllers / DIY variac controllers, etc., and dial them into fans and heaters. Expensive bits of kind those.

• Dex likes this

#9 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

I`m good with the one i got from sunplusLED @Notorious WD  it`s not like my 600 hps but it does a nice job, ive not really got any comparisons as its my first LED light, but im well happy with it.

• revert and Dex like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.