• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Packabowl

Packabowl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Hi, Im new to growing and don't want to spend loads on lights and a grow tent. I was wondering as I have a south facing kitchen I get sun on my window sill all day. Would it be possible to grow autoflowering plants on my window sill if I put a fan on them to strengthen the stems. Has anyone tried this and does it work well?
  • 2scoops and Joe like this

#2 Joe

Joe

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

My mates gonna try something similar tho with a photo that I have in with mine for the mo. It's about 2 weeks old and he'll be getting it in a couple days. I cant see why it wouldn't work as long as there's enough light, reasonable day and night temps, good soil and feed and keep in mind the dark period. Also remember the smell when it arrives, best of luck bro.

• Dex and Packabowl like this

#3 Packabowl

Packabowl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:40 AM

Cheers for the reply mate does he have a grow diary?

#4 Joe

Joe

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

He doesnt even have a plant yet lol, this will be his first attempt :)

#5 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:18 AM

I was wondering as I have a south facing kitchen I get sun on my window sill all day. Would it be possible to grow autoflowering plants on my window sill if I put a fan on them to strengthen the stems. Has anyone tried this and does it work well?

It will work, but the results probably won't be spectacular.

Adding a household fluorescent lamp or two in desktop-spot-style fittings would probably help :)

keep in mind the dark period.

Autos don't need a dark period ;)
  • 2scoops, Zipp, Joe and 1 other like this

#6 Joe

Joe

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

Being on a windowsill, with house lights being on and off at irregular times, I would of thought big risk for hermie, but yea, auto's, maybe not.

• THC F13ND likes this

#7 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

My first ever grow was 3 bagseed in my kitchen window, the yield wasn't massive, maybe 4-5g each, but that's shitty Scottish sunlight for you lol, it would work but to be honest even a couple of little energy saving bulbs in desk lamps would do as good or better with minimal cost as missy says, could have them in the window for the sunniest part of the day, especially long summer days, and under the little desk lamps at night.
  • 2scoops, Joe and Packabowl like this

#8 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

Or an alternative could be a 125/250w cfl, for a 125 at least it will set you back roughly £25 and about a fiver for the e40 lead, even just hanging the bulb vertically in a small cupboard etc and using hooks and string to support it and take the weight off the lead could work better than either, you might have to turn the plants periodically to get good growth on all sides, but it's low cost to set up and run, there's minimal heat so a small fan would be ok for ventilation and ona block/gel would be fine for smell control.

Just a thought, I've seen plenty of surprisingly good grows with cfls, if it works for you budget and space wise it would be worth looking into.

ATB
  • 2scoops and Joe like this

#9 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

I think you would do better with a warm red spectrum 250cfl than just on the windowcill

• weedtroll, Joe and THC F13ND like this

#10 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

A combination of window sill and cfl through the night, if you can be arsed moving it about.

Get as much light in as possible. Could effectively have it under 24hrs of light.

• Joe and THC F13ND like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.