27 replies to this topic

#1 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

Ok so ive thinking to myself about my grow space and whats the best way to go about it. Ive never grown in the loft its always been in a tent in my bedroom but my kids arnt so little anymore and are curious nosey liitle shits and in to everything lol 

So the only option for me is to move upwards haha. The space is roughly 2m x 2m x 2m im totally guessing this lol it cold be more or less as ive only just had a quick look up there.

Ive already got some equipment 2 x 600w hps, 6"rvk with rhino filter and another rvk for intake. 

Im un sure of what next thou?? Do i just buy a tent that fits the space? or box it all out?? 

do i need something that will block out the heat source or is that just bollox lol also will the smell travel outside the loft space if not in a tent?

im just after a little guidance and advice for the best option. 

Thanks dudes

• Nappa and THC F13ND like this

#2 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

I done a loft grow through two summers and two winters, be prepared to cry through summer at failing 2 get the high temps down and the cry all winter watching your lecky go through the roof as u try to keep them warm.

Run your lamp at night only and try to aim to be on 12/12 for the hottest month/months and vegging 18/6 through the coldest months.

Other than that it is a good place to grow, it's out of the way if u can get your lecky safely up there.

Always have a fire extinguisher preferable an automatic one there only about £35-£50 and are life savers

If it's your own gaff build a king span groom if it's not your place get a tent on the go
  • 2scoops, revert, Nappa and 3 others like this

#3 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

I done a loft grow through two summers and two winters, be prepared to cry through summer at failing 2 get the high temps down and the cry all winter watching your lecky go through the roof as u try to keep them warm.

Run your lamp at night only and try to aim to be on 12/12 for the hottest month/months and vegging 18/6 through the coldest months.

Other than that it is a good place to grow, it's out of the way if u can get your lecky safely up there.

Always have a fire extinguisher preferable an automatic one there only about £35-£50 and are life savers

If it's your own gaff build a king span groom if it's not your place get a tent on the go

Good advice there dude nice 1 :)
I was planning running at night as to try and even the temps out. I can easy get power up there no probs I might even get some water flowing up there to as I don't fancy carrying shit loads of buckets up and down the ladder lol. I don't own the place yet but it's on the cards so yeah a tent would be easier if for any reason I need to take it down. Only thing that scares me is the smell leaking into next door as that's the only real place I can place the groom on their joining wall :( it's a semi detached.
I can vent out up through the chimney so that's cool but where should I take the intake from thou??
Thanks dude
  • 2scoops and Nappa like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Maybe pull in cooler air from the eaves, between the inner and outer walls, but dont forget its gonna be scorchio anyhow come summer up their, weed plant will still grow thyough its just not always ideal for them at times, and cover inlet with summink so bugs and shite cant get in. Try not to have loadsa bends in ducting too.

• weedtroll, Nappa, thcdudeuk and 1 other like this

#5 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Maybe pull in cooler air from the eaves, between the inner and outer walls, but dont forget its gonna be scorchio anyhow come summer up their, weed plant will still grow thyough its just not always ideal for them at times, and cover inlet with summink so bugs and shite cant get in. Try not to have loadsa bends in ducting too.

Good thinking dude thanks man :) I prob wouldn't have thought of that and had a bloody bug fest in the tent haha.
I know this might sound stupid as fuck lol but could I use an old freezer as a cold intake?? Haha I mean like cut a 6 inch hole in the door and run some ducting from it to a fan then into the tent. I'm pretty stoned at the min but I think it could possibly work lmao
Thanks dude
  • 2scoops, duke and Joe like this

#6 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Good thinking dude thanks man :) I prob wouldn't have thought of that and had a bloody bug fest in the tent haha.
I know this might sound stupid as fuck lol but could I use an old freezer as a cold intake?? Haha I mean like cut a 6 inch hole in the door and run some ducting from it to a fan then into the tent. I'm pretty stoned at the min but I think it could possibly work lmao
Thanks dude

Yes i think it could possibly work too and tbh if you can get it sorted then it will sort the heat and bug problems that you may get pulling in from eaves, if its a fridge freezer maybe the use of both fridge and freezer depending on temps connect it to whatever, but it gets very hot in the loft come summer not to mention a higher chance of bug infestations x10. Get it right though and your laughing m8, i like that idea lots, a ferking brilliant bit of ingenuity if you can get rolling right. :)

• thcdudeuk likes this

#7 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

to make a cooler from a frezzer (ive done this for a cheap arsed chiller for a  dwc it might work for you

i drilled  two holes for hose pipe in the side of it( mine was the type where you have metal pipe running under each shelf for the freezing , ) then i used cable ties to snake the hose all round the shelves and back out the holes then i use lots of filled water bottles to pack the freezer out tight , then you put a pump in the hose line and recirculate the hose water it gets cold but wont freeze cos ts moving water  , im not sure how much it would chill  a groom tho it works a treat fora diy hydro chiller

you can get some great tents shaped for lofts loft box i think they are called

i grew a summer in a loft but i was lucky to have a chimney breast i chopped in to to send hot air up and the bottom was open with no fire so i stuff my intake ducting down wards and got cool air from the bottom on the house it worked a treat and no hot roof in winter

if you can send your hot air out a sofit board vent  lot of houses have them them or put one in , in winter your loft wont be the only one with no snow on it !

• weedtroll, thcdudeuk and BIGLUMPAGREEN like this

#8 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:00 PM

could I use an old freezer as a cold intake?

Possibly, but freezers (and fridges) produce a lot more heat than they do cold so if you pu it in the loft it will get very hot up there.

They also use a fair bit of power (200 Watts to 600 Watts — that's where the heat comes from) so it'll be quite expensive to run (fridges/freezers are generally the most-costly household appliances).
  • 2scoops, weedtroll, Forest and 4 others like this

#9 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

good point on heat but they dont run all the time  mine didnt  

• thcdudeuk likes this

#10 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hmm my brain is on it haha I've got a pretty good plan. The fridge/freezer wouldn't be in the attic I don't think as yeah that's not gonna really help with the heat issue. My bedroom is directly under where I plan to put the tent maybe 2.5m if that. I have a built in wardrobe that could easily fit the f/f it in there no worries it would prob take up half the space as it's a quite big space. Then run the intake up through the ceiling to the tent :)
As for outake that's quite simple to as I have a flue that's runs up out of the chimney so that's cool. I've had a nosiy up there and it seems legit. I can easily get power and water up there aswel with a few little tweaks.
Thanks dudes much appreciated
  • BIGLUMPAGREEN likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.