27 replies to this topic

#11 CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:26 PM

I cut a 6" hole in my bedroom cupboard and used a 6" rvk for the intake, it will still hit 30c plus in summer but so long as you got a fan blowing between the plants its manageable and ive had good results, they do tend to stretch more though I noticed. I never bothered in winter, had a 2kw heater in there and never went past 15c so never bothered again. Just do big crops to see you through the winter lol.
  • 2scoops, thcdudeuk and BIGLUMPAGREEN like this

#12 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

good point on heat but they dont run all the time  mine didnt

Yeah, but you weren't pulling 700 m³/hour of warm summer air through it, were you ;)

eta: If it were a 100 litre freezer (large undercounter) then it would be exchanging the air in the freezer every half-a-second or so!

700 m³/hour is (roughly) the air flow needed to cool 1,200 Watts with a 5°C temperature rise.

700 m³ = 700,000 litres... Divide by 100 (freezer volume) = 7,000 air changes per hour... Divide by 60 (minutes in an hour) = 116.66 air changes per minute... Divide by 60 = 1.94 air changes per scond
  • Forest, Slippery, thcdudeuk and 1 other like this

#13 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, but you weren't pulling 700 m³/hour of warm summer air through it, were you ;)

eta: If it were a 100 litre freezer (large undercounter) then it would be exchanging the air in the freezer every half-a-second or so!

700 m³/hour is (roughly) the air flow needed to cool 1,200 Watts with a 5°C temperature rise.

700 m³ = 700,000 litres... Divide by 100 (freezer volume) = 7,000 air changes per hour... Divide by 60 (minutes in an hour) = 116.66 air changes per minute... Divide by 60 = 1.94 air changes per scond

So the question is is this idea possible?? Lol I'm blagged haha
  • 2scoops and THC F13ND like this

#14 THC F13ND

THC F13ND

Landrace enthusiast

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but I'd reckon half a second wouldn't be long enough to cool the air by any significant amount, if at all. A part of my mind is inclined to say that the increase in pressure from such a high airflow would cancel out any decrease in temperature or maybe even cause a slight rise in temps, but that kind of thing is Missy's speciality, I could be completely and utterly wrong lol.

I've never grown in a loft before, always been lucky enough to have a cupboard/spare room etc, but if it was me I'd just try to keep airflow as high as possible, the more fans the better.

ATB :bong:

• thcdudeuk and Joe like this

#15 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

So the question is is this idea possible?

Air cooling is possible, but it isn't easy and I think that if it were practical we'd all be doing it already :)

I'm pretty sure that a domestic freezer isn't going to cut the mustard.

Freezers aren't really designed for continuous, rapid chilling and mostly rely on insulation to keep things cold — They often take a significant time to actually cool anything that's placed in them, even when they're already full of frozen items, and the contents will defrost if the door is left open.

An air conditioner is probably a good example of how it should be done — a bunch of thin, narrowly-spaced metal plates, chilled efficiently and oriented along the airflow to ensure decent contact and heat transfer.

But air conditioners are noisy; they use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat; they produce large amounts of condensation (although that's true of anything that chills the air); and the smaller 'portable/domestic/office' ones may not be able to cope with the airflow required.

They may be worthwhile in some circumstances, but the negatives probably outweigh the positives, which is likely why most people don't use them.
  • CocoMonkey, weedtroll, duke and 3 others like this

#16 thcdudeuk

thcdudeuk

taken from the dark side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info :-) So i guess its back to the drawing board lol my loft is pretty warm on a cold day so in summer its going to be crazy hot with an extra 1200w from the lamps. Any ideas of the best way to approach it? Thanks again 

Edited by thcdudeuk, 28 April 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• 2scoops, duke and Joe like this

#17 gavin

gavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

took me a long time but used to grow in my loft for over 5 years and got everything sorted out

the best way is to vent hot air in the house/bedroom in the winter (cut a 6" hole in your loft hatch and cover it with a vent cover) and swap it in the summer so you pull the cooler air from the house

you want to make a room in the loft out of timber/frame and very thick 100mm insulation sheet

this will keep the room cool in the summer and warm in the winter :)

• thcdudeuk likes this

#18 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

@thcdudeuk i have an 20000 btu air con i used it in a very big shed with 1000w hps x3 and it works to keep temps below 28 but cost more to run than my lights!it now sitting unused in my room so if you want it it yours pm me if you like,peace

• thcdudeuk, Joe and gavin like this

#19 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

Any ideas of the best way to approach it?

I reckon that the best bet might be to think about the grow space as a separate room of its own, and stop trying to cool/worrying about the loft.

The goal would be to prevent the loft temperature from affecting the grow space too much, so if you can insulate the tent/box/whatever effectively, and if you can draw the incoming air from the room below as @CocoMonkey suggests and exhaust the warm air directly out of the eaves or up a chimney, then it probably won't be substantially different from growing in a tent in any other room — Your limiting factor will be the incoming air temperature.

A big Kingspan box, 150 mm thick, wrapped around a tent, perhaps?

Sure, it will probably get warmer than a tent in a room, but I can't imagine it would be all that much warmer if the airflow is sufficient.
  • duke, thcdudeuk, Joe and 1 other like this

#20 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

my advice is pretty much simple bach.............dont waste your time unless ewe want to spend a fortune trying to dial the attic in...........plus its SPIDER MITE CITY up there,they love attics do the red backed mite.....fuck vat !!!   more headache than its worth imho............ :D

• duke, thcdudeuk, Joe and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.