24 replies to this topic

#11 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

Okay @Slippery For my take they do the same thing (root prune), the fabric pots are much cheaper but the air-pots are sturdier. @Roy Cropper makes an interesting point about them getting full-on rootbound and that makes sense, air-pots will always be simplicity to remove. But they are expensive, no doubt about that. Big investment, especially if you're buying initial gear. Absolutely nowt wrong with fabric to start with.

• Roy Cropper and Slippery like this

#12 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

The expense is not a problem for me but I didn't want to spend a lot on small ones that I probably wont use again once I'm out of the little cabinet.

#13 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

So peeps i got a a question or few about these felt and smart pots you maybe able to help me with, basically what`s are they all about. Let`s say i was to grow the same cloned plant in the same conditions treating them all the same in smart pots, felt pots, normal pots or buckets, would i get more bud back come chop if i was using these felt or smart pots than i would growing in buckets or normal pots ? or is it all about setting the correct ph and enviroment with a little feed that does that ? or maybe a combo of both cus these smart pots and felt pots are actually contributing to keeping the plant in the right enviroment ? or is it not about any of those reasons at all and not so much that it gives you more bud back but it`s maybe knocking a week or so off your grow cus they help in growing bigger plants quicker ? oh lastly it`s none of those reasons i mentioned above, then help me out plz peeps ? :confused2:  Loadsa questions their guys but they are kinda tied in lol, cheers. :)

• Slippery and Ken Erbis like this

#14 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

Ive got a big pile of them plastic airpots in the garden all sizes. I got big pile about 8 30 litre root pouches too. Thats my opinion on them for cannabis. Now if I were growing trees I might be tempted to use them. Unless your going to veg stupidly long imo I would have thought mycorhyzall to be more effective. I will take picture of them all to show that well to show I suppose Im gullible. Also if anyone wants them if theyre willing to send £10 for postage they can have the lot. Pic to come.

Having said that I am using a root pouch 30 litre to flower out my med man.

Edited by Ken Erbis, 14 May 2016 - 03:51 PM.

• 2scoops and Slippery like this

#15 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

Dont go on ebay when drunk or stoned or in possession of money.

[attachment=36333:IMG_0001.JPG][attachment=36334:IMG_0002.JPG][attachment=36335:IMG_0003.JPG][attachment=36336:IMG_0004.JPG]

• 2scoops, Slippery and CountryBoy like this

#16 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

So peeps i got a a question or few about these felt and smart pots you maybe able to help me with, basically what`s are they all about. Let`s say i was to grow the same cloned plant in the same conditions treating them all the same in smart pots, felt pots, normal pots or buckets, would i get more bud back come chop if i was using these felt or smart pots than i would growing in buckets or normal pots ? or is it all about setting the correct ph and enviroment with a little feed that does that ? or maybe a combo of both cus these smart pots and felt pots are actually contributing to keeping the plant in the right enviroment ? or is it not about any of those reasons at all and not so much that it gives you more bud back but it`s maybe knocking a week or so off your grow cus they help in growing bigger plants quicker ? oh lastly it`s none of those reasons i mentioned above, then help me out plz peeps ? :confused2:  Loadsa questions their guys but they are kinda tied in lol, cheers. :)

Yield is all conditions and factors combined. A plant will have a maximum yield for it's genetics and all we can do is our best not to trim too much off the potential. So setting the right environment doesn't create more yield, but going off the right environment lessens yield if you catch my drift. All the factors come into play: growing medium, nutrient regime, lights, training, CO2 mix, possibly some factors growers haven't even figured out yet. For photos we can manipulate the lighting schedule to keep the vegetation going, but even so setting other factors will determine how fast that vegetation is.

By air-pruning the roots air-pots / fabric-pots encourage usable root growth rather than wrap around a container: plants think their roots are fine, but they're struggling to absorb water and nutrients through them. I think the advantage, other than avoiding root-bound issues, come in two stages: veg and flower. In vegetation you can drop time (and possibly a pot size) from veg because the pot and therefor your valuable medium is being used more effectively, or you can keep the veg time and pot size and get a bigger plant. So you get a quicker plant, or a bigger plant, or a combination of the two. Even in flower the root-mass is utilizing the medium more effectively so should be providing nutrients to the flowers efficiently and running into fewer problems.

But yeah, they're not a magic bullet. If you're having yield issue you need to look at absolutely every stage and element of your grow and have a thunk about it. 

• 2scoops, Slippery and Ken Erbis like this

#17 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

@stonedwolf I would think yield is more about  enviroment whether these pots are part of that "enviroment tag" or not and ph, a bit of feed and maybe some training of some sort, personally speaking myself, i can`t see why a photo weed plant would have maximum yield if you had loadsa space and lighting to fit that space, if you wanted to grow one you could train and veg one plant for ages to fit the big space couldn`t you or put loadsa loadsa little ens and less veg, basically what im saying is if you know what your on with one photo can give you back same as ten or twenty plants or their abouts in theory, if you get that, i just about do myself i think. i`ve never tried for the biggest ever tree though but it kinda make sense in my mind that does lol :)

I totally do see your second point about the pots but i`ve never tried them cus im just not sold on them and im a tight git, i`ve had the pots i own like 10 years now, but ill probably never know or maybe as i keep telling myself to do with quite a few things on the growing section as well, start some of my own scientifical test`s Proffesor style on grow section :)

I`m cool on plants and don`t really get problems with owt worth worrying over, Cheers wolfy :)

:rofl1:   @Ken Erbis But i totally here your point too. cheers m8. :)

• Slippery, Ken Erbis and White Warg like this

#18 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

@jimmi2scoops yes, I guess the maximum yield on a photo would need referencing to time otherwise it would just keep going, though ) good point, though I guess genetics would limit how much yield within a timeframe.

For me using soil (rather than coco) under LED they're handy as otherwise the medium can get a bit waterlogged, HPS drys soil up much quicker.

One thing I'll say bad about air-pots is they can be a pain to fill with soil, fabric pots  won't have that problem as bad. Anyway Jim they're cheap enough, as you see in EBay just a couple of quid. Why not give one a shot? Then you can see what the fuss is about.

• 2scoops likes this

#19 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

@stonedwolf Yes i get you now on yield thing and if in that case i would say your bang on. I just wanted to point out that lets say 1 plant will give same as 4 plants in the same space or around that amount if you know what your on with. I can see your reasons using them with soil as well under a LED. :)  I may just order one this week to put aside of my other 2, see how it performs in veg and see if they grow any faster as i do have 3 clones from same mom, it wil get me feeling all scientific like a Proffesor doing that it will . A question for you though, the fabric pots well i grow in coco and i like to flood the pots fast so it it pulls in more oxygen to the roots and pushes out the old stale stuff, well would that be possible when using these fabric pots without leakages and so run off should only come out of the bottoms like with old school pots ? Cheers m8. :)

• Ken Erbis likes this

#20 White Warg

White Warg

Brouhaha Hooha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

@jimmi2scoops watering them is different, a bit of art really: go slow as the medium dampens you can go quicker.

I don't think you'll need to do your current trick because the old stale water at the edges is already going away through evaporation from the side, and extra oxygen is already being drawn in, but a coco grower will be able to give more insight.

• 2scoops likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.