23 replies to this topic

#1 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

I have some chemicals to drop PH but have heard that this kills the micro herd.

What to use instead of, and is it better to kill them than to not PH water (in soil)?

Ta in advance....

• 2scoops, weedtroll, duke and 1 other like this

#2 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

Lemon juice or vinegar for some natural chemical ph down. Don't think it takes much to bring it down and shouldn't affect the microherd too much.

• duke, K.D.R.G.M, Slippery and 1 other like this

#3 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

If your growing organic and you have plenty of life in the soil then this along with the chemical compounds already added as buffers it should be enough to keep everything sweet, the microherd acts as natural buffers they live and thrive in and around the weed ph range.

P.S although i`m unsure about this i don`t think they would use chemical compounds like calcium and magnesium silicates in a truly organic based soil and i would think maybe just lime and microlife works .

• weedtroll, duke, K.D.R.G.M and 3 others like this

#4 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

Cheers, in typical stoner fashion, I answered this myself after posting!

I used cider vinegar, fortunately, it is organic too so maybe better than standard?

• weedtroll, duke, K.D.R.G.M and 1 other like this

#5 weedtroll

weedtroll

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Should be fine Slippery.

It'll probably add a little extra in for the micro herd to munch on and make them even happier. Some sugars left over which they'll eat up.

• duke, Slippery and Dex like this

#6 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Never use ph up or down in soil, whether u got a microherd or not. Soil is self buffering. PH issues in soil are mostly caused by watering from the top leaving the plant sitting in the wrong ph medium. Watering from the bottom allows the plants to take what they want, it doesnt affect ph as the soil buffers itself, also it doesnt leach minerals from the soil It one reason them plastic airpots are shite as they need watering from top. Also watering from top increases botrytis, insects

• 2scoops, duke, K.D.R.G.M and 1 other like this

#7 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Also dont even use organic ph buffers in soil. There really is no need and makes soil smell.

• duke, K.D.R.G.M and Slippery like this

#8 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Ohhh, now I feel like indecisive Dave from the fast show (sadly can't find a clip)

So now I have been led to believe that I definitely should, and also definitely shouldn't PH my water !

Originally, I never bothered as I thought that the soil buffered it.

Then, at "the other place", I was told it was absolutely necessary!

What is the definite answer?

PS, @Ken Erbis, I do like to water from underneath usually. I didn't realise it was not possible with air pots

• Budgie, 2scoops, weedtroll and 1 other like this

#9 weedtroll

weedtroll

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

I've never ph'd my water I just bung it in :D but mine is soft though.

• 2scoops, duke and Slippery like this

#10 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Never use ph up or down in soil, whether u got a microherd or not. Soil is self buffering. PH issues in soil are mostly caused by watering from the top leaving the plant sitting in the wrong ph medium. Watering from the bottom allows the plants to take what they want, it doesnt affect ph as the soil buffers itself, also it doesnt leach minerals from the soil It one reason them plastic airpots are shite as they need watering from top. Also watering from top increases botrytis, insects

So Ken would soil naturaly buffer the whole grow and is it why you see yellowing on soil grown plants and more so low down quite often towards the end of a grow even b4 you start flushing anything out at the very end, cus the natural soil buffers are leeched away or taken up by the plant ? so is that where the feeding from the bottom comes into it`s own maybe cus your not leaching owt away feeding this way ?  cheers.

• duke and Slippery like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.