23 replies to this topic

#11 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:55 PM

Ohhh, now I feel like indecisive Dave from the fast show (sadly can't find a clip)

So now I have been led to believe that I definitely should, and also definitely shouldn't PH my water !

Originally, I never bothered as I thought that the soil buffered it.

Then, at "the other place", I was told it was absolutely necessary!

What is the definite answer?

PS, @Ken Erbis, I do like to water from underneath usually. I didn't realise it was not possible with air pots

So are you growing organically or not ?  b4 i answer my 2 soil grows worth of knowlege on you with answers :) ( one of those was a failure, bloody root rot. :) ) But fuck knows tbh lol, But if i grew with chemicals i`d always PH no matter what i grew in and if i grew organically i wouldn`t bother with PH`ing i think, but theirs peeps with alot more knowledge of soil than me :) tis why i said i`d always PH chemicals and wouldn`t organically :)

• duke, Zipp and Slippery like this

#12 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

@Slippery , lol pH or not this old one ......its personal preference slippery i do with my canna when i done soil but dont with my chillis but all grow fine .........see what i mean lol :wacko:

plus its down to individual enviroment lights nutes skills etc

i use mycorrhizae or bennies in my grows  ( roots excelurator , voodoo juice , pirana & trantula and use pH down at the start of my grow as im useing small amounts of nutes

and trust me the pH down dont slow up or kill any of my micros in my babies but its normally just 2 or 3 drops though per 5lts :D :D

• 2scoops, duke and Slippery like this

#13 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

So Ken would soil naturaly buffer the whole grow and is it why you see yellowing on soil grown plants and more so low down quite often towards the end of a grow even b4 you start flushing anything out at the very end, cus the natural soil buffers are leeched away or taken up by the plant ? so is that where the feeding from the bottom comes into it`s own maybe cus your not leaching owt away feeding this way ?  cheers.

Yup soil naturally buffers I would say. The yellowing I would put to nitrogen depleting as the grow goes on.  Watering from the top means all the roots are soaked in unbalanced feed and so it will eventually show ph issues. Bottom watering means the plant through the roots and capillary action of the soil just takes up whats needed. There are people that argue that you will get white salt build up from bottom watering. No issue either repot or remove from pot and refresh the soil around the root base. Only chem salt based nutes would do that, no sign from wilko tom.

Also @jimmi2scoops these root pouches may be useful for coco growing where you get a root mass quickly, cant reccomend them in soil though and the air pots would be messy with any medium.

Do a test slippery, ph v no ph. Remember you are smoking or ingesting the plant so all the crap that goes in must come out. Absolutley no need for ph adjustment in soil imo.

You can water airpots from below but they are designed to be watered, drenched from above.

• 2scoops, duke, Zipp and 1 other like this

#14 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

you’ll often read the recommendation to check soil pH, but what does that really mean? pH is simply a measure of how acid or alkaline a substance is, and soil acidity or alkalinity (soil pH) is important because it influences how easily plants can take up nutrients from the soil. Many gardening books and catalogs list the preferred pH for specific plants. The good news for gardeners is that, with a few exceptions, most plants will tolerate a fairly wide range of soil pH. 
Nutrient uptake and pH: Plant roots absorb mineral nutrients such as nitrogen and iron when they are dissolved in water. If the soil solution (the mixture of water and nutrients in the soil) is too acid or alkaline, some nutrients won’t dissolve easily, so they won’t be available for uptake by roots. 
Most nutrients that plants need can dissolve easily when the pH of the soil solution ranges from 6.0 to 7.5. Below pH 6.0, some nutrients, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, are less available. When pH exceeds 7.5, iron, manganese, and phosphorus are less available.

Regional differences: Many environmental factors, including amount of rainfall, vegetation type, and temperature, can affect soil pH. In general, areas with heavy rainfall and forest cover such as the Eastern states and the Pacific Northwest have moderately acid soils. Soils in regions with light rainfall and prairie cover such as the Midwest tend to be near neutral. Droughty areas of the western United States tend to have alkaline soils. However, the pH of cultivated and developed soils often differs from that of native soil, because during construction of homes and other buildings, topsoil is frequently removed and may be replaced by a different type of soil. So your garden soil pH could be different from that of a friend’s garden across town. 

Changing pH: Most garden plants grow well in slightly acid to neutral soil (pH 6.0–7.0). Some common exceptions include blueberries, potatoes, azaleas, and rhododendrons, which prefer moderately acid soil. You can make small changes to soil pH by applying soil amendments. However, you’ll have best success if you select plants that are adapted to your soil pH and other soil characteristics. Adding organic matter such as compost to the soil buffers the pH, which means that it tends to bring both acid and alkaline soils closer to neutral. 

If you have your soil analyzed by a lab, the lab report will include soil pH. You can also test soil pH yourself with a home soil test kit or a portable pH meter. Home kits and portable meters vary in accuracy but can be helpful in assessing the general pH range of your soil.

The quantity of liming or acidifying material needed to change soil pH depends on many factors, including current pH, soil texture, and the type of material. A soil lab report will contain recommendations on types and quantities of amendments to use.

You can spread liming or acidifying materials with a garden spreader or by hand for small areas. If hand spreading, be sure to wear heavy gloves to protect your skin.

Correcting acid soil: If your soil is too acid, you must add alkaline material, a process commonly called liming. The most common liming material is ground limestone. There are two types: calcitic limestone (calcium carbonate) and dolomitic limestone (calcium-magnesium carbonate). In most instances, you’ll use calcitic lime. Apply dolomitic lime only if your soil also has a magnesium deficiency. 

Ground limestone breaks down slowly in the soil. Apply it to the garden and lawn in the autumn to allow time for it to act on soil pH before the next growing season. A rule of thumb for slightly acidic soils is to apply 5 pounds of lime per 100 square feet to raise pH by one point. In general, sandy soils will need less limestone to change pH; clay soils will need more.

The amount of lime you must add to correct pH depends not only on your soil type but also on its initial pH. For example, applying 5 pounds 464of limestone per 100 square feet will raise the pH of a sandy loam soil from 6.0 to 6.5. It would take 10 pounds per 100 square feet to make the same change in silty loam soil. However, if 5.6 was the initial pH of the soil, 8 pounds per 100 square feet would be required for the sandy loam soil, and 16 pounds per 100 square feet for the silty loam soil. There is no simple rule of thumb that applies to all soils. The safest approach to take if you plan to apply limestone is to have your soil tested and follow the lab recommendations. 

Applying wood ashes also will raise soil pH. Wood ashes contain up to 70 percent calcium carbonate, as well as potassium, phosphorus, and many trace minerals. Because it has a very fine particle size, wood ash is a fast-acting liming material. Use it with caution, because overapplying it can create serious soil imbalances. Limit applications to 25 pounds per 1,000 square feet, and apply ashes only once every 2 to 3 years in any particular area. At this rate, your soil will get the benefits of the trace minerals without adverse effects on pH.

Correcting alkaline soil
If your soil is too alkaline, add a source of acidity. The most common material to add is powdered elemental sulfur. As a rule of thumb, add 1 pound of sulfur per 100 square feet to lower pH 1 point. But as with lime, the correct amount will depend on your soil type and its initial pH. Testing your soil and following lab recommendations is the best approach if you want to lower the pH of an entire bed or area of your yard. 

Mixing peat moss with the soil will also lower pH, but peat moss is not a sustainable resource and has been overharvested in many areas; incorporating ample organic matter (such as shredded leaves) is a more environmentally friendly option.

Why Is It Called pH?
What does pH stand for, and why is it spelled in that odd way? Thank chemistry for this incomprehensible abbreviation. It stands for “potenz Hydrogen” (“potenz” means “the potential to be”). In chemis-try, the elements of the periodic table—remember that from school?—such as Oxygen and Hydrogen, are capitalized; that’s why it’s pH rather than ph, Ph, or PH. But what does hydrogen—much less the potential of hydrogen—have to do with soil acidity or alkalinity? Well, the activity of hydrogen ions in solution—and soil is actually a solution at the microscopic level—determines the acidity or alkalinity of the solution. Acidic solutions have a high concentration of hydrogen ions; alkaline solutions have a low concentration. This may all seem arcane, but here’s a fun fact: The inventor of the pH scale developed it to determine the acid content of his beer!

duw duw im tired now  :lol:  PH .........wats that ? :D   as for feeds hahaha  :D

• Budgie, 2scoops, weedtroll and 6 others like this

#15 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

I use only the JI system, shit, and seaweed in my grows @jimmi2scoops,@Ken Erbis I have never really looked if this is strictly organic.

I used to grow indoors and after trying lots of different methods, I found that the easiest, cheapest way to make the tastiest bud was the JI system, no feed, just water (never PH'd), but had to give up indoors and become guerilla.

After five years growing outdoors, I have come to believe that farmyard manure is all you need outdoors.

I am currently doing a bit of both.

Thanks for all the input, I think I will leave the PH'ing, it's not too bad here anyway, around 7 ISTR

• 2scoops, Ken Erbis and BIGLUMPAGREEN like this

#16 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

I just got my plants out and took pics, just noticed I do get a lot of white salt build up in my trays. Doesnt seem to affect the plants and easily washed out. The med man in 30 l root pouch, white salt in tray

[attachment=36449:IMG_0057.JPG]

• 2scoops, Zipp and Slippery like this

#17 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Are those salts from nutes?

This is why I much prefer the JI system, no chance of over/underfeeding and no flushing, also, at about five quid for 25 litres with nothing else to pay but the 'leccy bill, cheap!

• 2scoops likes this

#18 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

This is why I much prefer the JI system, no chance of over/underfeeding and no flushing, also, at about five quid for 25 litres with nothing else to pay but the 'leccy bill, cheap!

Even without usibg ferts you will get salts in your tapwater. I never flush only after a number 2

• Slippery likes this

#19 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

JI = John innes?

What number do you use?
  • 2scoops, weedtroll and Slippery like this

#20 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

JI = John innes?

What number do you use?

I use JI no1 for seedlings and no2 for potting on.

Have used no3 before but that can be a little strong for some strains but for hungrier strains it's great too.

Got a problem with my no1 stuff at the moment.

Thinking it's leeched most of the goodnes out, as my latest have been very slow and pale looking.

Potted up to no2 now and the colour is flooding back into the girls.

Binned the no1 into the compost...

• Slippery and Ken Erbis like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.