22 replies to this topic

#11 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

Daft as a brush and twice as hairy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Very nice :)This caught my eye...post-7-0-45159700-1468423240.jpgI think that having two fans pushing air into a single outlet will lead to imbalances as the speeds vary, and that ideally one would have two separate outlets.Or perhaps a single larger fan with the Y-piece on the downstream side, and maybe some inline adjustable vanes to provide control over the air flow?And leave the witch alone :vroom:post-7-0-97529100-1468423254.png

Yeah I had a feeling that that would be an issue, but cos I'm venting all exhaust to the right now I can have the duct from the veg box exiting into the hall n then I'll just have to chop out some walls for the flower room. Thinkin about it I really should have put the most recent plans up lol

And dont worry missy, I promise not to get the old village ducking stool out as long as the witches don't hex my wiring :D
  • Dekay, duke and denots like this

#12 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

I had to look cus title of thread is ace, good stuff CB. I`ve been thinking along these lines for a long time,i have a great space for a fitted wardrobe or summink like that would make a cock on grow area 365 days per year and stress free. It`s about getting the right builder in for this though, when is yourmate free lol :)

Haha init mate proper Wallace n grommet style! 'we need to grow more cheeeese grommet!' And (if I actually decide to do it) I'll have everything running through a raspberry pie or an arduino or some shit so it'll be fully automated for when I'm away. That's all a pipe dream at the moment tho, to do all that I'd have to learn all programing n shit n I dunno bout that, usually when I read up on stuff I get a good idea of what's goin on, the more I've read about this lot the more confused I've got, it may as well all be in swahili cos I don't understand any of it! N yeah mate I'm lucky, most of my mates are all good practical lads, n they all know how to keep their mouths shut! AND more importantly they are more than willing to lend a hand for a bit of smoke lol! To be honest though mate its pretty easy to do something like this your self, I reckon I could have done what my mate did easy enough, it would have just taken me a fair while longer, and you don't even have to go for stud work, I only used that cos it was free, it'd be much easier to do it all in ply n just line it with celotex!
  • Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 1 other like this

#13 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

I see, it doesn't like multi quote, give me 5 mins n I'll put all my replies up seperately.....

Take a seat mate! It should get 'interesting' once we get right into all the electrics n that, I predict a fair bit of head scratchin n a fair few more spliffs bein smoked before this cabinet is squared away! The latest plan for the flower room is like so...

gallery_899_423_245930.jpg

I'm gonna cut the fan cupboard short to give space for the cf well away from the lamp

Can you elaborate on the single filter mate, cos Ive thought long and hard about that one, the best I could come up with was this

gallery_899_423_681452.jpg

Two unfiltered fans blowing into a chamber with a larger fan suckling out through a filter, only one filter and only one exhaust vent but I fucked it off cos it involved runnin another fan and I'd have to work out all the air flows to make sure I still had negative pressure n all that.

I did think of doing something like that, it would save a bit of electric and cut down on the noise but ultimately I wanna get some co2 on the go in the flower room so each chamber needs to be seperate, and I have a vast collection of fans n a fair few filters here so I shouldn't have to spend any money other than a bit of new ducting.

Yeah I'll do you a little drawing later & take a pic of it for you :)  In fact now you look to have thought of re-routing the duct you almost have one precisely where I'd have it..

Will get back to you fella.

This is something you want to get right from the start ;)

• 2scoops, duke, denots and 1 other like this

#14 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Ok as promised I just knocked up a couple of bodge pics :)

Now let me explain that both these pics are views of the box as I'm pretty sure I'd make it & both views are from the front ;)

However one is the back half of the box & the other is the front half. I'll explain each pic as I go along so hopefully you will grasp what I'm on about fairly easily.

Ok, this picture is of the back half of the box ;)  Remember you do have some depth to play with so I don't see much if any of this being a problem.

gallery_1146_431_54052.jpg

If you are silencing the outlet you're going to want to silence the inlet too :)  So on the right in the back half of the box you have an air input & then the silencer. I think you said about using a 600W HPS though I could be mistaken, but assuming a 600W HPS I'd go for a 5" fan on the input. This fan won't be working against any real air pressure at all, so to keep it as quiet as possible I'd go for something like a 125mm S&P mixed flow fan. Following the fan is a 90 degree bend & then solid plastic ducting, both of these are readily available & cheap.

The bottom of the ducting I'd cut a small piece out of the duct facing the veg chamber & a larger piece out towards the flower chamber, the base of the duct wants to be hard up against the bottom of the box. I'd put a thin piece of plastic up inside the duct from the floor of the box to above the top of both of the removed pieces to separate the airflow, so looking at the duct from the bottom it'd look like a circle with a line across the middle.

Then I'd box in around the duct to the flower chamber side obviously leaving the vent to the veg side open & totally separating both chambers.

You now have forced air input to both :)

Here's the front half of the box.

gallery_1146_431_1144.jpg

The CF is in the front half because you'll never need to change the silencer, but you sure as hell will need to change the CF :D

The top of the flower chamber is open to the top portion where it hits the CF, then the fan & then the silencer & out the opposite side of the box.

The fun bit is the light baffles ;)  There is a gap between the baffle in the veg chamber & the very top of the veg chamber, now personally I'd make this adjustable with a sliding piece of say hardboard so you could adjust the airflow into the flower chamber. I hope it's pretty easy to see the idea. Air going in on the left hand side, down, around the 180 degree bend & out into the flower chamber.

Light will not go round corners unless it's reflected or it happens to pass close to a black hole :D I'd suggest a coating of matt black paint on the inside of the light baffles, but I doubt it'd be needed..

Any questions please fire away. Obviously I hope this helps :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 1 other like this

#15 Spencers

Spencers

indoor/outdoor grower with man tits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

thats going to be one hell of a room mate i can barely assemble a carboard box will follow with interest might even inspire me to do something myself.

• Dekay, denots and CountryBoy like this

#16 CountryBoy

CountryBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

Ok as promised I just knocked up a couple of bodge pics :)

Now let me explain that both these pics are views of the box as I'm pretty sure I'd make it & both views are from the front ;)

However one is the back half of the box & the other is the front half. I'll explain each pic as I go along so hopefully you will grasp what I'm on about fairly easily.

Ok, this picture is of the back half of the box ;)  Remember you do have some depth to play with so I don't see much if any of this being a problem.

gallery_1146_431_54052.jpg

If you are silencing the outlet you're going to want to silence the inlet too :)  So on the right in the back half of the box you have an air input & then the silencer. I think you said about using a 600W HPS though I could be mistaken, but assuming a 600W HPS I'd go for a 5" fan on the input. This fan won't be working against any real air pressure at all, so to keep it as quiet as possible I'd go for something like a 125mm S&P mixed flow fan. Following the fan is a 90 degree bend & then solid plastic ducting, both of these are readily available & cheap.

The bottom of the ducting I'd cut a small piece out of the duct facing the veg chamber & a larger piece out towards the flower chamber, the base of the duct wants to be hard up against the bottom of the box. I'd put a thin piece of plastic up inside the duct from the floor of the box to above the top of both of the removed pieces to separate the airflow, so looking at the duct from the bottom it'd look like a circle with a line across the middle.

Then I'd box in around the duct to the flower chamber side obviously leaving the vent to the veg side open & totally separating both chambers.

You now have forced air input to both :)

Here's the front half of the box.

gallery_1146_431_1144.jpg

The CF is in the front half because you'll never need to change the silencer, but you sure as hell will need to change the CF :D

The top of the flower chamber is open to the top portion where it hits the CF, then the fan & then the silencer & out the opposite side of the box.

The fun bit is the light baffles ;)  There is a gap between the baffle in the veg chamber & the very top of the veg chamber, now personally I'd make this adjustable with a sliding piece of say hardboard so you could adjust the airflow into the flower chamber. I hope it's pretty easy to see the idea. Air going in on the left hand side, down, around the 180 degree bend & out into the flower chamber.

Light will not go round corners unless it's reflected or it happens to pass close to a black hole :D I'd suggest a coating of matt black paint on the inside of the light baffles, but I doubt it'd be needed..

Any questions please fire away. Obviously I hope this helps :)

Nice one mate! I see what your sayin, and your way uses 1 less fan n filter, but as I have the fans n filters sittin here I may as well get em both in there, that way I can still have air movement in the veg chamber when the fans off in the flower room for the twice weekly sulphur vape! Ive got a 3 speed 5" ruc that I'm gonna use for the intake, and then I'm gonna buy one of these

gallery_899_423_157465.jpg

I would imagine that it severely reduces air flow, but it'll mean no bugs n dust get into the grow areas! There probably won't be a lot of room for a silencer if I fit the filter but I'm hoping the filter it self will muffle some of the fan noise, although I can see the air flowing through it being quite noisy! On the subject of silencers, firstly do they work? Can you fit them anywhere on the duct or do they need to be right on the fan? Is there much loss in air flow? And is there any advantage using a silencer over using just lagged ducting? I've had a look on ebay, it would seem there are only really two otions, expensive solid aluminium ones for money or bits of lagged duct cut into meter lengths for a tenner, I can't really see the cheap ones doin a lot, n for another 15 quid you can get a whole 10m of lagged duct! I was planning on using the semi solid aluminium ducting for everything, would I be better off fuckin off the 6" silencer n just use the acoustic ducting? I dunno. It would be cheaper, but I've used that duct before, it's a pig to work with, and I wasn't that impressed with the amount of noise reduction compared to the hassle I had installing it!

thats going to be one hell of a room mate i can barely assemble a carboard box will follow with interest might even inspire me to do something myself.

Welcome mate! Yeah when she's all done she should be quite some piece of kit! And it'll be slightly less bait than the big black tardis sittin there humming away in the corner lol! I was tryin to think last night of a legit reason for building something like this, the best I could come up with was a dark room, all you gotta do is buy a few nice photos in frames n some old cameras off eBay, leave em dotted about the place like you're some sort of shutter bug n then you could get any old builder to give you a quote! A dark room needs to be light tight, have power and ventilation, so as long as you don't get the builder to fit your hps n cf they should never twig! :D
  • duke, denots, captain beefheart and 1 other like this

#17 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

You see you are restricting what you are looking for because you are thinking of one thing ;)

Try looking for HVAC filters. I picked up about 20 filters that are 500 x 500mm that are designed to stop dust & shit getting into air conditioning systems for only a tad more that that box of tricks you're looking at.

Just sayin... Go looky :D

You have to think outside of the area you are dealing with & at anything that might use the kind of thing you are looking for ;)

Acoustic ducting is all about cutting down the noise generated by the turbulence caused by the ducting being corrugated & thus flexible... So it's quieter than normal ducting because it's surrounded by sound absorbent material.. Nothing at all to do with silencing sound produced by the fan, it's just quieter ducting.

Do silencers work... Well yes, but not perfectly.. All they are is a thin walled tube with tons of holes surrounded by sound absorbing material encased in another tube with no holes. Just like a straight through silencer on a racing exhaust. It will cut down on the whine made from the inline fan much more than any deeper kind of air roar sound. To do that it'd need to be a lot longer.

#18 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

look out gadget man is on one...............nice closet c.b   :D

#19 Funky

Funky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

Silencers do work. They cut down on the jet enigine noise coming out of the end of the ducting. You can DIY your own with chicken wire and a towel OSS. But they need to be a certain length away from the fan/end of ducting.

#20 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

it will sound like terminal 5 @ heathrow c.b  mine does  ..........dont worry about it bach :lol:

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.