Photo
- - - - -

The.. Questions you feel you should know the answer to but dont.. thread.

cannabis grow forum Carbon filter underpants

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hello.

Experience is irrelevant here and everyone should be able to contribute. So come on own up lol.

Ill kick off with two..

1) If females get pollinated in say... the final 2 weeks of traditional flower, will they last longer because they have been pollinated and got what they want.. vs a non pollinated plant?  Does the pollinated female on 12/12 respond to pollination and therefore live longer because it understands it can now grow seeds?

2) I have never been able to get my head around this whole hydro ph/ec relationship in swing. I have read the full monty of its explanation, so i get the mathematics and the beneficial see saw effect to capture nutrients. But why does one go up when the other comes down. The only explanation to me is that the nutes affect PH and once they are used, the ph reverts back to default. Or is it just what it is and no one actually knows?

Answers and questions on a postcard.

:)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 11 others like this

#2 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

2) I have never been able to get my head around this whole hydro ph/ec relationship in swing. I have read the full monty of its explanation, so i get the mathematics and the beneficial see saw effect to capture nutrients. But why does one go up when the other comes down. The only explanation to me is that the nutes affect PH and once they are used, the ph reverts back to default.

Correct — Nutrients are generally acidic and will lower the pH of a solution :)

Removing them from solution will raise the pH unless water is removed at the same rate - This rise in pH occurs when the plant 'feeds' more than it 'drinks' (uses more food than water), and the pH decreases when it 'drinks' more than it 'feeds' (uses more water than food).

If the water and nutrients were used at the same rate then the pH wouldn't change.
  • Mrs Willy, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 12 others like this

#3 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

All I can say about question 2/ is. Oh is a count of how many hydrogen ions are in play. So what ever is happening it's the hydrogen ions count that's being changed
  • Mrs Willy, Dekay, duke and 5 others like this

#4 SyRaX

SyRaX

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

In hydro to up the pH do we always add nutes? or do we use pH up? I'm confused.

• denots, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#5 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

I'll be interested to know the answer to question 1 also

• denots, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#6 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

Q 1 ...............i aint gotta a fooking hyota bach !!!

Q 2  tho.....................heres my 10 bobs worth........if running any hydro system using a res !!!   now this is not rocket science,its plain common sense see :D

when i ran nft a few years ago now i admit,but i was constantly battling ph swings and cf swings for a while,until i met this old head he`s dead now god rest his soul....he advised me to never leave the plants drink from the res !!  by this he meant top up the res every 24 hours,turn of the pumps first tho,every 24 hours i filled my res`s ph`d it and cf`d them daily without fail,this instantly stopped my swings over night :D   FACT !!!   my rule to thumb when using hydro is top up res every day ph it and cf it without fail..........all your grows will be a delight then  FACT !!!   also change the  res`s every 7 days with new solution :D     TRY IT go on ya never look back ;)

ive tried and tested this many times.....all i can say is the old head waz bang on,he grew some fine dope to :D

• Mrs Willy, mellowed, duke and 9 others like this

#7 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

In hydro to up the pH do we always add nutes? or do we use pH up? I'm confused.

in hydro when ewe add ferts the ph will go down not up.....ferts are acidic bach,fill res add ferts to desired cf....then ph it with phosphoric acid a few drops should bring it into range  :D  also keep ph @ 6.0 all through grow ;)  oooooh btw ewe really dont wanna go to low and add ph up,its bad practice add ph down in little doses untill ewe reach 6.0,dont add up if ewe need to go up remove some solution and add plain tap water then adjust to desired ph /. cf its a bit off a learning curve to master but keep @ it,ewe soon know how much of every thing to add after a while ;)

• mellowed, 2scoops, duke and 9 others like this

#8 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hello.

Experience is irrelevant here and everyone should be able to contribute. So come on own up lol.

Ill kick off with two..

1) If females get pollinated in say... the final 2 weeks of traditional flower, will they last longer because they have been pollinated and got what they want.. vs a non pollinated plant?  Does the pollinated female on 12/12 respond to pollination and therefore live longer because it understands it can now grow seeds?

The plant will live longer anyway... It's just that we tend to chop them when they reach a certain point because they are how we'd like them to be to smoke the damn things :D

2) I have never been able to get my head around this whole hydro ph/ec relationship in swing. I have read the full monty of its explanation, so i get the mathematics and the beneficial see saw effect to capture nutrients. But why does one go up when the other comes down. The only explanation to me is that the nutes affect PH and once they are used, the ph reverts back to default. Or is it just what it is and no one actually knows?

Missy is bang on the money :)

• Mrs Willy, 2scoops, duke and 4 others like this

#9 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Interesting thread and I like question one ...

I never thought I could re veg a pollinated plant because I thought that's the end of the line after seeding..

Very interesting tho

Second question I don't know why but I was taught the same thing about one up means tuther is down... its why I have no got an ec pen yet lol leafs and run off tells allot.

And @captain beefheart that fact there will be noted down buddy thanks for that :D if I play in hydro
  • duke, denots, Roy Cropper and 5 others like this

#10 denots

denots

oil me up before you go go

• Sleeping Mods
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

To answer question 1 i'd say yes, if the plant gets pollinated late in flowering it would prolong It's life, as the plant would want to make sure It does what it supposed to do as in produce offspring. Well that's my theory anyway.

Question 2, I don't really know all the maths, but Missy is about right what she says. PH and EC is a funny thing in hydro, they all work within each other if that makes sense.

It's hard to explain, but even down to mediums like stones, clay pebbles. Using dripers through these can change PH. For instance, my dripers are on at the moment and the PH drops back down to 5.5 all the time because the stones were soaked at 5.5ph before I started using them, but as soon as I feel I don't need the dripers any more I'll turn them off and the PH will Stabilise at 5.8, the same as I always bring it back up to. That's why I check and adjust my PH and EC twice a day.

• Mrs Willy, Zipp, captain beefheart and 4 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.