32 replies to this topic

#11 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

ive always wanted to do  diy my  caan i have a butchers at the recipes you have if you dont mind m8 ? 

Oh man, give me a day or two to find it in my bookmarks. In fact take a butchers at this thread, it has the recipe in it and a few others. :)

Cost wasn't my main driver (although it's a nice bonus!) — I just don't want to use 'grow shops' :)

I've not seen or tried those, but they'd probably work :)

Why not take a £6.99 punt on a box of the Chempak #2 from this chap on ebay (or elsewhere, such as a garden centre) and see how you get on?

Maybe make up a litre of concentrate and then use it in a similar fashion to the way you use A&B now (up to 4 mL/litre?), starting low as usual, and watch what happens.

I would guess that if you're using supplements at the moment then you may want or need to continue with them, or at least for now anyway.

At worst, if there are any problems (which I doubt there will be) then a quick flush and a dose of the proprietary stuff should sort it out.

But at best, you'll have the equivalent of eight bottles of Canna for £6.99 :)

As things progress and assuming that nothing bad happens and that you are satisfied with the way things are going, you could get the #4 version come flowering time, and possibly the #8 at some stage.

No i dont use additives cujs its all added extra into canna softwater ferts, but i was thinking i would maybe need some calcium and possibly magnesium if these dont have them in already and i dont think their`ll be calcium of any amount in them to cope with softwater. Do you use these in coco Missy and is your water hard or soft mate ? cheers. :)

• Forest and Dex like this

#12 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

I used the phostrogen before in soil and its very potent stuff, do you get good results in coco then? I'll take a look at that chempak stuff too cheers, you got any photos of your grow miss?

The Phostrogen works in coco, but I seem to get better results with the Chempak, which leaves fewer chalky deposits and other residues.

That may well be down to the water here though, which, as mentioned, is already very chalky.

I don't generally do photos :ph34r:

No i dont use additives cujs its all added extra into canna softwater ferts, but i was thinking i would maybe need some calcium and possibly magnesium if these dont have them in already and i dont think their`ll be calcium of any amount in them to cope with softwater. Do you use these in coco Missy and is your water hard or soft mate ? cheers. :)

I don't use any additives at all, and I suspect that the water here is hard, but I don't get the normal brownish kettle-scale - I get soft chalky deposits instead.

In the past, I convinced myself that there was too much calcium and looked into ways of reducing it - Even experimenting with boiling half of it, letting it cool, and then filtering it. It did make a difference, but it was purely experimental and not something I'd do regularly.

Neither Chempak or Phostrogen quantify their calcium content (Canna say 5%), but the Phostrogen has 1.5% magnesium and the Chempak says "also contains magnesium" (Canna say 2%).

If they don't contain enough for your water then I imagine that adding a small amount of Epsom salts or similar would provide what's needed.
  • 2scoops, CocoMonkey, WalterEgo420 and 1 other like this

#13 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

Maybe some calcium nitrate would be needed here for me to use those, well thats my thinking and possibly some magnesium (ES) of some sort. :)

Decisisions decisisons i tell you :) i need some ferts ASAP. :)

• WalterEgo420 likes this

#14 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Oh yes here`s a great site its been down past few weeks. This place has different canna fert formulations for making nutes out of dry chemical salts, https://manicbotanix...ost-comparison/

• WalterEgo420 and Dex like this

#15 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

Beware adding nitrates, because they'll increase the total nitrogen content.

Calcium sulphate might be better, or even calcium carbonate :)
  • 2scoops, WalterEgo420 and Dex like this

#16 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

Beware adding nitrates, because they'll increase the total nitrogen content.

Calcium sulphate might be better, or even calcium carbonate :)

Ive just been reading about it on the manic botanix site for 10 mins, way too mind boggling for ten mins reading that is for me. Think im just gonna cheat and buy some ca\nnas ferts. :)

• Forest, WalterEgo420 and Dex like this

#17 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

Making one's own is a fine idea, @jimmi2scoops, but I'm not willing to invest the time and resources to do it from scratch so I'm happy to pay someone to do it for me.

What I don't like is using grow shops or paying the high prices asked by the big manufacturers.

So, I have, for now at least, opted for this middle ground of buying powdered commercial fertilisers from other places.

A box of Chempak makes eight times as much solution as a litre of Canna, and it does it for about 70% of the price — That'll do for me :)
  • 2scoops, Forest, WalterEgo420 and 1 other like this

#18 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

jest sling em a kebab on Saturdays will do em mun   :haha:  (sorry)  :lol: 

• Forest, WalterEgo420 and Dex like this

#19 WalterEgo420

WalterEgo420

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

@Missy - any idea how long a litre of made up solution would last.  Would it go off at all? 

Cheers

Walter

• Forest and Dex like this

#20 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

The cal nitrate is the most soluble form of calcium and easiest to use by a weed plant, i do understand where your coming from though @Anonymiss with thne extra nitrates, thanks. :)

It`s chemicals so i can`t see therm going off @WalterEgo420 i mean everything has a shelf life, but chemicals is chemicals so you`ll be ok with a litre to do a crop or 3 no problemo imo. :)

• Dex likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.