81 replies to this topic

#11 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

hi fatz i use mh for veg and first 2 weeks of true flower as it gives shorter internodes and better spectrum for veg growth then use the full hps till the chop you will see a marked difference mostly in keeping the plant more compact,im not a fan of dual spec hps full hps is better for flowering.peace

Cheers Duke, do the MH bulbs run significantly hotter than the HPS do you know?

• Dekay and duke like this

#12 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

Cheers Duke, do the MH bulbs run significantly hotter than the HPS do you know?

yes i think so i do tend to have the mh a little higher than hps though i dont think theres much in it a few degs or so i guess,good luck

• Dekay, MDS and FatBagZ like this

#13 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

Cheers bro, will boot up the 400 tonight and and place the babys under it.

• Dekay and duke like this

#14 Mick

Mick

Ass Thumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hey Fatbagz good plan on putting some quicker plants in as these do take a while (well worth it though) and spot on with keeping her on a light soil. Do everything slowly and cautiously with the slh. I have grown a few and it's up there with the best imo

1 thing though mate, I'm a little worried for you that you will run out of space pretty quick with 7 (think it's 7 init) flip um (slh) sooner rather then later ;-) they can get massive.
I had one that just kept on growing, I tied her to all four corners of tent spiralling inwards :-D

Atb mate
  • Budgie, Petal and FatBagZ like this

#15 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

Hey Fatbagz good plan on putting some quicker plants in as these do take a while (well worth it though) and spot on with keeping her on a light soil. Do everything slowly and cautiously with the slh. I have grown a few and it's up there with the best imo

1 thing though mate, I'm a little worried for you that you will run out of space pretty quick with 7 (think it's 7 init) flip um (slh) sooner rather then later ;-) they can get massive.
I had one that just kept on growing, I tied her to all four corners of tent spiralling inwards :-D

Atb mate

Alright Mick, thanks for voicing your concerns. I was thinking the same. Exactly why I'm going to be vegging strictly 30 days. If they do grow crazy maybe less than 30. Not all the seeds have popped yet so I will see what I'm playing with when I get home later.

ATB

FBz

• Budgie, Dekay, duke and 1 other like this

#16 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Picked up a 'Powerplant Super Veg 400w MH' anyone had one of these before? This will be used for veg and the 600w HPS will be used during flower. Are there noticeable differences with vegging under an MH as opposed to the dual spec HPS?

ATB

FBz

I've got one of their MH's 400w, just normal not a superveg though and it's a good little bulb.

It does run a bit hotter than an equivelant HPS or DS bulb, about 5 degrees so start her high-ish and drop it down a bit till you hit the lighting sweetspot.

The differences between MH and HPS in veg?  They won't stretch as much in vegging and seem to produce 'greener' bushes. Keep it going first 2-3 weeks of flower as said already. I've flowered all the way with one before and they don't have quite as much bulk in the buds but they do seem frostier for it.

• Mrs Willy, Dekay, weedtroll and 4 others like this

#17 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Well I've just got home and all 5 of the SLH have popped and I can see The two Kush pushing through the dirt, albeit slower. So looks like I will have 7 @StickyMicky haha, there's still the chance of hermie anyway. Propogator germination rate 100%! Buzzin haha.

@Budgie Top one r kid. Will deffo switch to HPS. I'm looking forward to this grow. I was hesitant and pretty much clueless first time but the guys over at THC got me going and the help I've had here at TGC has been phenomenal, so massive thanks to everyone here! Mon the buds.
  • Budgie, Dekay, smokin soul and 3 others like this

#18 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Nice one FB :D

Love a bit of SLH. Hope they do you a treat amigo :)

• duke, Dex and FatBagZ like this

#19 MDS

MDS

Internode Master...

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

hi fatz i use mh for veg and first 2 weeks of true flower as it gives shorter internodes and better spectrum for veg growth then use the full hps till the chop you will see a marked difference mostly in keeping the plant more compact,im not a fan of dual spec hps full hps is better for flowering.peace

I'd back that up 100%, only difference is I used mixed lighting in veg as you get the best of both worlds :) Superb root growth & nice fat stems plus shorter internodal growth. But if you can't do that what duke says is 100% on the money! Also agree about keeping the MH going for the first two weeks of 12/12. Agree again about using a plain HPS tube for flower rather than so called dual spec tubes :D

yes i think so i do tend to have the mh a little higher than hps though i dont think theres much in it a few degs or so i guess,good luck

They do run hotter simply because they aren't as efficient at converting electrical power to light output, the result is more heat... Law of thermodynamics I believe :)  As duke says though the difference on a 400W will only be a few degrees...

Edit To Add:- make sure you get the right type of 400W MH tube as there are two types! There are tubes designed to run on older Mercury control gear & these are usually marked "EURO", you need a tube to run on HPS (Sodium) control gear... Any that are sold in a grow shop will likely be the correct type, just be careful if buying off of eBay or similar ;)

Can I join the fun please? Oh, it seems I already have :D

• Mrs Willy, Budgie, Dekay and 3 others like this

#20 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

@ MDS nice one mate, will do exactly as told. Bulb is deffo the correct one, guy at the store made sure it was. I may try switching the bulbs around next attempt mate, this run will be all MH veg and all HPS flower. I'll also pick up a full HPS rather than use the dual spec.

Thanks for all the input thus far. Literally don't know how I'd do it without this place :pimped: :pimped:

ATB

FBz

• Dekay, weedtroll, duke and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: haze, kush, super lemon, KO

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.