4 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

New growers often ask 'how can I tell if it's a girl'?

It's not difficult really once you know what to look for and when.

For normal photoperiod plants they usually show from the 4th/5th week of life and are usually located on the 3-5th branching node. This happens from the 3rd week of life when growing autos. If you look carefully at the branching points you will see that little calyx with a creamy white double pistil coming out which confirms you've got a girl that's sexually maturing and about ready to flower.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is simply with a couple of pics that show what the first little calyx/pistil looks like :

Attached File  35Days-FemalePreflowers-Regular-HarlottoStrain.png   1.3MB   0 downloads

Attached File  Pre-flower-01.jpg   103.52KB   0 downloads

Shimples  :happyleaf:

• duke, denots, fairy and 2 others like this

#2 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Shimples you make it Budgie :) Nice one.

• Budgie and Mick like this

#3 Mick

Mick

Ass Thumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Simple a. If you are growing regular seeds and they are just starting to show sex. Wait until they have shown properly. I have grown many plants that looked male at first for them little pods then burst with a few hairs. I think that's the main confusion at first ;-) atb
  • Budgie likes this

#4 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Simple a. If you are growing regular seeds and they are just starting to show sex. Wait until they have shown properly. I have grown many plants that looked male at first for them little pods then burst with a few hairs. I think that's the main confusion at first ;-) atb

Good advice, it takes a week or two for those male pollen sacks to start spreading the love, which is more than enough time to double check they are indeed males without risking unwanted pollenation or destroying a perfectly good female plant.

And there is also this converse thread to look at ;)

• denots and Mick like this

#5 Mick

Mick

Ass Thumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hello, hope you don't mind Budgie for the little hijack. Here is a female plant in veg that has just started to show.
Attached File  20160920_163821.jpg   125.72KB   0 downloads
You can see that it could easily be mistaken for a early male. Here is a pic one node up
Attached File  20160920_164126.jpg   177.95KB   0 downloads
You can see two hairs from each pod just about emerging.
Atb
  • Budgie, duke and FatBagZ like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.