9 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

I'm hoping to do a small top up of my seed collection next month if I've got the funds spare so I'm after some recommendations of what strains to get based on people's experiences with them.

I've not been a big seed buyer / grower (mainly did cuttings) so apart from the well known stuff like Widow, Jack Herer etc I've got no clue what seeds to go for and which seed co do the best versions of something. Often times I'll go on Herbies and end up with my mind blown over all the strains / versions / seed co's out there. So many seed companies doing the same strains, they all make grand claims and often it can take hours to research one strain to find out what people think etc. and get to the nitty gritty about the strain, how it grows, if it's close to the strain it's meant to be etc.

Instead, I figured I'd ask around here and see what people have grown that they really like and get some straight honest recommendations.

A couple of criteria I'd like to meet if possible as I only flower out one plant at a time:-

• Photoperiod only. No autos.
  • Must be an 8 week flowering strain or close to.
  • No cash crop strains (Big Bud, Money Maker etc)
  • Must be tollerant of training (LST, Topping, Supercropping etc)
  • Must suit CoCo growing
  • Decent Yield potential from single plant with 7 - 8 weeks veg time - although quality is just as important!
  • Easy to grow / forgiving / tollerant

Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions so let's hear what you've grown that you would definitely recommend and why :)

• Budgie, Lab Rat, duke and 2 others like this

#2 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Royal queen seeds critical ticks all of them boxes

Dinafem og kush will be your secret stash and ticks nearly all of them boxes, you may want to drop a weeks veg and add that to the flower time tho

there's two to get the ball roling
  • Budgie, weedtroll, duke and 2 others like this

#3 Mick

Mick

Ass Thumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

Hmm seems like a cheese or a blueberry ticks those boxes mate. Or the best of both blue cheese. I've tried blue cheese from big budda and it was good, barney's farm also has a good one (so I've heard)

Straight cheese, I have done green house seeds exodus cheese and dinafem cheese. Both are good yielding stinky fookers :)

Straight blueberry I haven't done yet but I did a babbas gift from humbolt and she was mostly blueberry. The sweetest tasting smoke I have had (the old free ones from herbies tended to heme though)

If the name does not put you off Cheesy Dick from big budda is nice also.

Atb mate

Tbh mate it depends on ya environment in it. Finding phenos that like your environment more then the others, then run a few rounds of it.

Edited by StickyMicky, 27 September 2016 - 11:21 AM.

• Budgie, duke and TheGreenMachine like this

#4 weedtroll

weedtroll

NaNaNa NaNaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNa

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Another RQS strain would be the special kush no1

Grown it twice as a pot noodle plant and both times it's been really really nice and is a speedy strain, i'd say was very close to the 8 week mark.(with 7-8 week veg it'll be massive too)

Total hardy to abuse (first PN plant got slightly forgot about) and no signs of hermies. Not food fussy. Didn't stretch too much, nice solid bud structure.

I've been so impressed with that last one I'm ordering more.

• duke, TheGreenMachine and Mick like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

hi barneys farm vanilla kush the best weed i have grown/smoked/oiled ever in 35 years. read my review or see page 60 of my fans diary for the best pics but barneys tangerine dream is good as well or dutch passion nightqueen photoperiod fem is good tough as fuck as my last grow proved,5 days with no water or feed,followed by five more days of ec above 4 and ph below 4 (when i fuck up i do it in style) and still managed a harvest of worth and very potent on your arse type,good luck choosing

• The Dude Abides, weedtroll, TheGreenMachine and 1 other like this

#6 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

Cheers guys :)

I see there's quite a few recommendations for the Royal Queen stuff. I have to admit, I have looked at the Royal Queen collection and they do seem to have some nice strains.

A couple of grows back when I was switching from Soil to DWC I had an Incredible bulk in an aquafarm but I also had a Black Skull Five-O and a Royal Queen Critical in soil as back ups in case the DWC grow failed - which it did and I lost the bulk through dampening off.
The Black Skull Five O did okay but the Royal Queen Critical which was a seed given to my by a friend did really well. I was so impressed that I picked up another bean when I last ordered a few months back.

I'm also seeing a few recommendations for Barney's farm stuff too which I'm now going to take a look at. For some reason, I've not paid much attention to them but I will now.

I've done a few different Cheese strains in the past but the best on I found was one I got from cuttings from a friend which I can no longer get. I did try a Cheese from seed - I'm fairly certain if memory serves it was Exodus Cheese from GHS and I didn't like it at all.

I grew it in my fail safe medium (soil) which I'm most familiar with. It didn't smell or taste like cheese. It didn't yield great either. The bud formations were okay but it reminded me of one of those horrible cash strains where it's all bud and no flavour or taste or strength.
I'll add cheesy dick to my list though. The name certainly doesn't put me off lol.

I'm yet to do a blueberry. I'd like to try one but it's knowing which one is the best to go for. I do actually have some of thise Bubbas Gift seeds but there regulars not fems. I don't really do regulars any more owing to the way I run my room I don't have the space or time.
If anyone can recommend a good Blueberry strain I'd be interested to hear from them.

Cheers for now :)

Edited by TheGreenMachine, 30 September 2016 - 07:50 AM.

• The Dude Abides and Mick like this

#7 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thank you all!!

I've just been going through my little seed collection and it seems I didn't order a RQS Critical last time as I thought I had, it was Special Kush No 1 :D
I have been browsing the RQS strains on Herbies and I'm very very very tempted to do a four plant grow in CoCo with four different RQS strains.

I'm thinking: Special Kush Number 1, Critical, Pineapple Kush and Royal Caramel Fast Version.

I've currently got an Incredible Bulk in the very early stages of flowering and I've got a 2 week old Female Seeds C99 seedling in veg but after they're done I'd like to do the four strain / plant RQS grow. The Incredible Bulk should finish early to mid Dec then I'll get the C99 out of veg and into flower which should take me to the end of Feb / early March so I should just get the four plant grow in and done before the weather starts warming up again.

Now the colder weather is coming, I can happily run 1000W in my room but I'm still yet to purchase a 1000W HPS lamp for my 400/600/1000W ballast. While it's been warm, I've just been running a 600W HPS switched between 400 and 600W depending on how warm it is outside. I'm hoping to pick up a 1000W lamp though for when my Bulk hits the 3 - 4 week flowering mark. By then it should be lovely and cool outside most days.

Oh and finally, while I was on Herbies this morning doing my shopping, I also chucked a Big Buddha Blue Cheese seed in the basket for good measure. I'll come back and try some of the other recommendations from you guys on my next trip to Herbies - probably next month.

Thanks again guys. That should keep me going for a bit :)

Edited by TheGreenMachine, 01 October 2016 - 07:33 AM.

• Budgie, 2scoops, weedtroll and 4 others like this

#8 DreDdYBoY

DreDdYBoY

Sir smoke alot

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

You should grow a nice skunk no1 from sensi seeds. Ive never heard of anyone being disappointed with it in 20 years or so.. it's an old timers classic but you know im an old timer..
  • 2scoops, weedtroll, Dex and 1 other like this

#9 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:25 AM

You should grow a nice skunk no1 from sensi seeds. Ive never heard of anyone being disappointed with it in 20 years or so.. it's an old timers classic but you know im an old timer..

Cheers man, I'll add that to my list as well.

I've not done a Skunk before. I've done crosses but not a full on Skunk.

The last Skunk cross I did was a freebie from DNA / Attitude when they gave away a bunch of freebies one Christmas. The one I grew was, according to Attitude, an accidental LA Confidental X Skunk #1 cross.

It was a nice strain to grow and smoke too. Very sativa looking with one large distinct corn cob cola. Very dense buds. Always frosty looking.

• DreDdYBoY likes this

#10 FatBagZ

FatBagZ

Nugs Not Drugs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hello GM. I'm still new to this myself mate but for my first grow I purchased some seeds from Heavyweight, one in particular Fruit Punch. If you like your skunks then this one is off its rocker, a very decent yielder with nice compact buds, stinky as fook and high THC content is sure to be a winner.

ATB

FBz

• DreDdYBoY likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: With farty bits, Strain Recommendations, Herbies, Seed Shopping Time

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.