19 replies to this topic

#1 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

I've always wondered why you put a net over your plants when scrogging. How does it help and isn't it a pain in the butt to untangle the plants from it when done?

I also see that some outdoor growers in the states in particular have got big arse nets all over their plants...I don't get it.

Thanks for explanations :)

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, weedtroll and 8 others like this

#2 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

I've always wondered why you put a net over your plants when scrogging. How does it help and isn't it a pain in the butt to untangle the plants from it when done?

I also see that some outdoor growers in the states in particular have got big arse nets all over their plants...I don't get it.

Thanks for explanations :)

hi petal well in my case i scrog due to using wardrobes with limited headroom the net is used to train the plants by contiually pulling them back down under the net not weaving in and out but laying stems horizontally makes auxins the hormone for flowering usually found mostly in the top growing tips and shoots but grown on the net horizontal auxins are sent to every growing tip of which we aim for 1 per hole the net provides support for buds saving on sticks or string also a horizontal flat canopy has equal light to every bud rather than just the tops also means its possible to grow plants that upright would grow to big for the space like pure sativas every bit of light is made the best use of,peace

• Mrs Willy, Dekay, The Dude Abides and 11 others like this

#3 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

hi petal well in my case i scrog due to using wardrobes with limited headroom the net is used to train the plants by contiually pulling them back down under the net not weaving in and out but laying stems horizontally makes auxins the hormone for flowering usually found mostly in the top growing tips and shoots but grown on the net horizontal auxins are sent to every growing tip of which we aim for 1 per hole the net provides support for buds saving on sticks or string also a horizontal flat canopy has equal light to every bud rather than just the tops also means its possible to grow plants that upright would grow to big for the space like pure sativas every bit of light is made the best use of,peace

Aaah right, thanks Duke. Appreciate your explanation, it makes sense to me now. I was thinking that you could just bend the branches down and not use a net but I guess the net provides a kind of barrier to keep the branches from springing back up? but allows the light to get through and the buds to come up.

I wonder about the big outdoor ones now. I mean the big outdoor plants all look amazing just not sure what they are doing with the net and the plants to make it so.

Cheers Duke

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 7 others like this

#4 Slippery

Slippery

Ganga Ninja

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

It's to support the plants @ petal, they generally use a few nets , in particular, the rigid steel ones are wrapped around the plant when quite small and the plant uses this for support. More nets are placed across the top to support the upright branches, more are added as they grow.

Check these guys in Mendo County;

Better get some ready for your drip feed monsters ;)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, weedtroll and 8 others like this

#5 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

It's to support the plants @ petal, they generally use a few nets , in particular, the rigid steel ones are wrapped around the plant when quite small and the plant uses this for support. More nets are placed across the top to support the upright branches, more are added as they grow.

Check these guys in Mendo County;

Better get some ready for your drip feed monsters ;)

Aah right ok then, thanks very much Slippery. I think my tomato stakes will keep  my potted ones ok...they wont get that big. :lol:

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, denots and 3 others like this

#6 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

I have started using nets quite a lot its been easier than tying bowing branches to main stem. :)

• duke, denots, mrsDeeks and 3 others like this

#7 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

I have started using nets quite a lot its been easier than tying bowing branches to main stem. :)

so how do you use your nets? just chuck em over the top or are they secured?....seems like there are a couple of different ways to use them.

I watched the vid that Slippery posted and the soft nets on top of the plant seem to be just thrown over them...don't see how that would be supporting the plant. I'm still not quite getting it I don't think.

• Dekay, denots and Sprink like this

#8 Dekay

Dekay

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

so how do you use your nets? just chuck em over the top or are they secured?....seems like there are a couple of different ways to use them.

I watched the vid that Slippery posted and the soft nets on top of the plant seem to be just thrown over them...don't see how that would be supporting the plant. I'm still not quite getting it I don't think.

I just throw pea netting over then tuck all the branches into a hole they will be held secure and cant droop petal I nearly always need to support the buds I grow ;) and with nets they supported before they need it, deffo need it with next plant all its branches are growing outwards sort of :)

• 2scoops, denots, mrsDeeks and 4 others like this

#9 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

I just throw pea netting over then tuck all the branches into a hole they will be held secure and cant droop petal I nearly always need to support the buds I grow ;) and with nets they supported before they need it, deffo need it with next plant all its branches are growing outwards sort of :)

ok thanks Deeks. is the pea netting secured anywhere or just thrown over it? Do you do any LST to your plants before hand or topping etc? finally, about what height would you put the netting over? is it during veg or flower? Thanks

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 5 others like this

#10 Dekay

Dekay

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

ok thanks Deeks. is the pea netting secured anywhere or just thrown over it? Do you do any LST to your plants before hand or topping etc? finally, about what height would you put the netting over? is it during veg or flower? Thanks

A week into 12/12 I might put some over but depends on plant you have to get it in place before the buds are big or you knock the fuckers off, remember we not on about scrogging just support here and one branch pulling one way on one side and the other side pulling other way is all support they need, sometimes have to add more that depends on stretch though, I do all sort of shit to me plants but its makes no difference to the netting that is just because I have had branches fall off completely from weight or snap completely meaning you have to remove em, also when they droop they have moved away from the light ;)

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, denots and 4 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.