Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Feeding very high EC without worrying about overfeeding. (old grow)

2.8ec in bloom coco

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

hi i dont see a benefit to any regime that means my grow ends up costing twice as much in nutrients and ime plants work best with just the right amount for a given strain and no less and no more ime anything past about 1.6ec just gets washed out in the rtw as excess to the plants needs therefore wasted and could have been better used over a longer period,im a tightwad but allways have green healthy leaves and high brix meter reading above 10 meaning plants are happily full,this is at ec 1.2 in hardwater,peace

• Zephyr and Cheeseman like this

#22 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

i remember that adventure of yours Jimmy, was it not Jack Herer cuts?

I always fancied doin some sensi jack herer after seein you smash em in coco, but my inner tite wad wouldnt part with the 120 odd quid for the beans.

great post, but i cant under stand why the leaf tips never fried at that hi ECs

Fair play tho, you scored a shed full eh?

Yes it was the Sensi Seeds Jack Herer, my mate had the cutting years, its still one of the tastiest strains ive smoked with a nice hit to it too, i think i called it 1lb per plant grow or that may have been my second on talk that one i forgot. Maybe look at Delicvious Seeds > Critical Jack, thats oner im gonna buy at some point to grow some big monster Critical Jack Herer type buds, its gotta be on my to do list.

Yeah I took my strawberry bananas to 1.4 and burnt them though Jimmi proper crispy burn it was as well although the other plants at time handled it fine there is a big difference in plant as well to think about with higher ec, one might not show signs of burn and another one might, the killas I growing now I reckon they take very high ec have put 1.4 in got 0.8 out, I do think though you have a good point about people having defs rather than overfeeding though mate but it is hardly ever an mg one thats just a standard reply I think :)

Iv`e just had my Strawberry Banana running at 1.4-1.6 ec for a few weeks and not even a burnt tip in sight here. :)

hi jimmi interesting thread but i cant help thinking how many nubees will try to copy it and burn feck out of there plants,its probs allright for an old hand who can read the plants but could easy come a cropper if you new to coco thats why i allways telling folks about the benefits of run of that 20% helps stop build up in the coco and so stops lock out occuring an starting out low and building up to get a handle on the strain your growing and like my horticulture mentor allways drummed into us was a slightly underfed plant will allways out perform a slightly overfed plant,a method for practiced growers i think and not tightwads like me who feed on the leaner side of just enough!peace

Yes i sorta here you on that, i mean when feeding a high EC then checking run off daily is a must and you`ve gotta flush pots out with x 2 and x3 water to pots weekly or when the run off hits 4 EC, which ever is first, so you deffo gotta be more on top of things.

But tbh duke its a load of bollox and a waste of cash feeding high EC cus feeding a nice steady EC of 1.2 still giver same amount of bud back or their abouts give or take a little either way. 

So overfeeding is overfeeding the coco and not the plant?

That makes sense, because the lockout seems to occur more often in little pots where they dry out a bit more than bigger ones.

I've started clones at 1.7 before, and they were fine until the roots grew too big for the little pots.

Wouldn't want to try working with a high EC if root space was at a premium

Tap water must play a part in these things as well, mine is 0.8 now, up from 0.7 :(

My understanding of it is you are actually overfeeding the medium to each plants fert saturation levels thus causing overfert lockout by the plant and burny symptoms,  i think :D, if im wrong correct me anyone ? :)

I wouldn`t be able able to groiw in my current 7 litre pots using those type of EC`s without flushing every few days is my thinking on it too as build will occur quicker than when i grew these in bigger 20 litre pots.

@CocoMonkey yes i seen and read that before, its sorta similar but different (lol) to how i grew these but i flushed out salts instead of dropping right back so i could fire back uip ASAP on a high EC

• Dekay, CocoMonkey, duke and 2 others like this

#23 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

Your actually over feeding the medium or resovoir to its saturation point or virtualy its saturation point for ferts/salts to where the plant can no longer take in each of what element or part of the feeds it wants when it needs to, so due to the plants medium being overfead/saturated the plant will only take in what the medium will make available at this point, which maybe lots of one element and nothing of the other or even nothing at all except water, its all about that saturation levels of ferts salts being all over the place and way too high so the plant may take up lots of N and no P or K or whatever, so you maybe OD`ing the plant on N but nowt else, so really the plants burning from underfeeding the plant caused by overfeeding the medium or rezz, this is known as lockout through overfeeding the medium but to you and i just plain old "overfeeding" I think. :D

Thats bollox and can`t be right reading it back again, sorry guys ^^^^^^^^ it`s not what i was told in the conversation, well it was long ago when i first joined at talk see, :P

It`s was more along these lines, i think >

When you are what peeps think is actually overfeeding the plant its nothing of the sort, your actually over feeding the medium to  each plants saturation point or virtualy its saturation point for ferts/salts to where the plant can no longer take in each of what element or part of the feeds it wants when it needs to, so due to the plants max fert EC being met in the medium and plants sat levels being all over the place it maybe taking up lots of one element and nothing of the other or nothing at all except water, its all about that fert levels for the plants being too high in the medium, so the plant may take up lots of N and no P or K or whatever, so you maybe OD`ing the plant on N but nowt else, so really the plants burning from underfeeding the plant caused by overfeeding the medium or rezz to each plants saturation levels, this is known as lockout through overfeeding the medium but to you and i just plain old "overfeeding" I think. :D

• Dekay, Sprink and Cheeseman like this

#24 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

So overfeeding is overfeeding the coco and not the plant?

That makes sense, because the lockout seems to occur more often in little pots where they dry out a bit more than bigger ones.

I've started clones at 1.7 before, and they were fine until the roots grew too big for the little pots.

Wouldn't want to try working with a high EC if root space was at a premium

Tap water must play a part in these things as well, mine is 0.8 now, up from 0.7 :(

That`s probably more to do with salts being unusable by the plant as they become clumped up sticking together as the medium dries out. You shouldn`t let the coco dry out too much m8

#25 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

That`s probably more to do with salts being unusable by the plant as they become clumped up sticking together as the medium dries out. You shouldn`t let the coco dry out too much m8

Yeah I don't usually let them get dry at all if I can help it, but since I've had a separate veg/clone tent I've noticed it because I've been slow to pot those ones up at times.

It's then that they start to look dark and start eating up the bottom, or sometimes calcium gets locked out.

On the other hand, when I had that honey bananas in a big 26 litre fabric pot (which was more than enough), I didn't have any problems at all, so I'd say you're right there.

But then I'm thinking that the 2 issues must be related really, because there are different levels of dryness, all of which I assume cause some salt build up. Like when you go to feed and the coco is blowing about on the top, the salts on those dry bits will filter through the pot. And that's just very mildly dry

And for slightly drier pots than that, I'd much rather I was using 1/2ml per litre of A&B than say 2ml, although there's no knowing what difference it would make

• 2scoops and Cheeseman like this

#26 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

Be carerfull using cal/mag in hardwater too @Sprink cus too much calcium interferes with uptake of magnesium and either P or K i forgot which and too much magnesium (verry hard to overdo that is) can interfere with uptake of calcium, but again im not 100% sure on that, but look which ones up to be sure cus i think theirs others too much of it can interfere with as well.

• Sprink and Cheeseman like this

#27 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

Be carerfull using cal/mag in hardwater too @Sprink cus too much calcium interferes with uptake of magnesium and either P or K i forgot which and too much magnesium (verry hard to overdo that is) can interfere with uptake of calcium, but again im not 100% sure on that, but look which ones up to be sure cus i think theirs others too much of it can interfere with as well.

I hear you there mate. I bought some epsoms to use instead of cal-mag, because the water should have plenty calcium in .it.

Haven't used them yet as the plants aren't calling for it right now

Seems like my issue is pots getting a bit dry. I could easily recitfy that with the flood & drain system that I've wanted for so long.

Damn these people wanting money for goods & services!

BTW Jimbo, have you tried the 60/40 mix stuff? The brand that does pebbles & 60/40...

I had to buy some coz the shop was out of canna.

I can only imagine it's useful for F&D, or autopots at a push, coz it's so fuckin dry. I mean, 60% clay balls!

The actual coco is also dry & airy, large clumps

Gotta get some pro+ for final pots

#28 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

I think its the gold label brand but i not used the gold 60/40 mix , but when i first started growing in coco i used to sling a handfull of clayballs to every few of coco or their abouts and that worked a treat. :)

#29 CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Ive just upped my feed to 1.3 do i dare go higher lol

#30 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Ive just upped my feed to 1.3 do i dare go higher lol

Its up to you CM but the odd white tip and curly down leaf is hardly worth a worry. I thinmk i got my Strawberry Banana on 1.4 as is atmo. Dont forgewt though CM theirs no difference in end result with yields be it feeding heavy or njot so heavy, but  1.0 to1.2 ec in soft water should work a treat start to finnish of 12/12 without worrying about checking run off, unless shit  goes tits up its not called for at that strength.

• Dekay, CocoMonkey, Paulie and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2.8ec in bloom, coco

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.