22 replies to this topic

#1 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

original closet gardener !!!

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

rite o what ewe reckon en ? ive seen them used in comercial green houses see,the farmer swares they increase yield lower down on the plants where light dont touch.....anyway im thinking of getting a few so whats ewer opinion see :D  18 watt draw but bright :D

Attached Files

• The Dude Abides and duke like this

#2 KiefKat

KiefKat

TGC DJ

• Sleeping Mods
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

My wife is using Ikea led's to propagate succulents (16W draw per light set), they give a shit load of light and work well with the succulents but only have an effective range of about 6-12 inches. 

Not sure if it makes a difference or not (clueless about led's really), but the Ikea lights have lenses to focus the light from each diode - the ones you have pictured don't appear to have any.

v%C3%A4xer-led-cultivation-light-silver- 

KEY FEATURES
  • You can grow plants indoors all year round, even if natural light is low.
  • Plants are sensitive to different colours of light than the human eye. Compared to a regular lamp, VÄXER cultivation light has a special colour spectrum with more blue and red tones that help your plant to grow and thrive.
ASSEMBLED SIZE
Power:
16 W
Length:
46.5 cm
Cord length:
2.00 m
Height:
2 cm

• The Dude Abides, duke and captain beefheart like this

#3 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

mmmm interesting im looking into it tho diolch :D

• The Dude Abides, duke and KiefKat like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,603 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

From what i read LED grow lights need lenses like KK said and the diodes inside that need to be set at different angles to create the right grow spectrum, so basically as the different LED lighting wavelenths from your differently angled diodes leave the LED unit they mix to create the light spectrum for ideal growing and for maximun intensity or its a fruitless excersise using them, so basically if you got a 250watt power draw Led and it`s not all set right with a proper horticulural grow LED diode and lense that are correctly angled your wasting your time, it`s that part that`s the art and difference between a lit up LED and proper shit hot LED grow light.  I read Osram are the daddies when it comes to setting Led diodes for maximum grow potential as well as pioneer being up their as well with their LED grow diodes.

It`s about the angles Beefy :)

• The Dude Abides, duke, captain beefheart and 1 other like this

#5 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

hows that work then jim with my cobs no angled leds there i think,  and they grow nice weed , 

ive a few low wattage cobs 3w up tp 10w they are 12v but im not sure how much good they are  i do mean to try em

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, duke and 1 other like this

#6 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

Aren't the lenses part of the LED package, especially for those individual/discrete devices?

The tubes in the first post look like drop-in replacements for fluorescent, so the output will probably be similar to a tube of the same length. (2' is about 1,350 lumens, 4' around 3,350 lumens)
  • The Dude Abides and captain beefheart like this

#7 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:49 PM

Ikea led's [...] give a shit load of light

If their figures are right (100 µmol/m²/s), and if I converted correctly, then in terms of PAR they're about the same as a 4' fluorescent tube (36 Watts to 54 Watts).
  • The Dude Abides, duke, KiefKat and 2 others like this

#8 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,603 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

hows that work then jim with my cobs no angled leds there i think,  and they grow nice weed , 

ive a few low wattage cobs 3w up tp 10w they are 12v but im not sure how much good they are  i do mean to try em

Tbh it`s just what i read a while back and im pretty clueless on LED grow lights forest, i can`t find exactly what i read either :) But here`s a quick summary of this page here i copied and pasted, the link explains angles and what its all about better than myself >:

"In summary, beam angles refer to the angle of each of the individual LED chips. It does not refer to the angle of the light fixture itself. You might be okay using a 120 degree LED grow light for shorter, less light-intensive plants, but for most growers, a more narrow beam angle is what you need."

I also found this here  on reddit about  angles, it seems that an angle of 120degrees is ideal for larger coverage but owt between 90 and 120 degrees works ok with lesser angles for better penetration, so my thinking is a mix of the lot creates an ideal light spectrum, it`s knowing how much of this and that i suppose.

Here`s a youtube video explaining it a bit as well from about 4mins in

• The Dude Abides, duke, Forest and 1 other like this

#9 captain beefheart

captain beefheart

• Respected User
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

well im thinking a few of these nonailsed on the walls cant hurt see....if it pulls a half oz a plant it be worth it mun.....the least ill get is a pimmped up groom,what about a flashing contactor  ?  have the fukas flashing then see :D   its only a thought after watching this geezer up north growing tomatoes commercially he swares they work  .....here vvvv

http://www.newsroom....businesses.html

:D

• The Dude Abides and duke like this

#10 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

my thinking is a mix of the lot creates an ideal light spectrum

Changing the beam angle won't change the spectrum, only the area it will cover at a given distance :)

Attached Files

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops and duke like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.