Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:20 AM

sorry noob question. What is nft?

Nutrient Film Technique

Basically a small pump trickles a thin "film" of solution over the tray that the roots sit on. Not submerging them, but ever present.

The tray is slanted so it runs off back into the tank beneath, making it recirculate

In other countries they use tubular ones which also slant

• 2scoops, marque08, Forest and 1 other like this

#13 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

Nutrient Film Technique

Basically a small pump trickles a thin "film" of solution over the tray that the roots sit on. Not submerging them, but ever present.

The tray is slanted so it runs off back into the tank beneath, making it recirculate

In other countries they use tubular ones which also slant

Wow, ok, thanks for the explanation Sprink. Sounds good

• marque08, Forest and Sprink like this

#14 marque08

marque08

pretty mashed

• Respected User
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Fuck yeah for coco. I started in NFT but it was a magnet for root rot, which you just don't get in coco.
Then there's the changing of the res and the filthy spreader mat with fungus gnats on it, don't miss that at all :)

Lol I'm probably going to regret typing this, but I've never had any of those problems. I don't use the same "tray system" that most folks seem to use though; don't know if it's that or just lucky.

One reason I haven't gone coco yet is I'm trying to work out if it's going to use more water .. What with the run off. I have to cart my water a fair way, and it's enough of a pta at the moment. Deff doing a small one next grow to see how I get on with it though.
  • Forest, Petal and Sprink like this

#15 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:08 PM

the rot comes from mainly to high water temps over 19c and it can bloom and there is another one that can bloom if the water is to cold at sth like 15c,  ive had them both :(  lol  but ive had some great grows in nft   i found it best to block up the system to get more run on the tray as well  , for me when the res was on a concrete floor  worked best for me and never needed a chiller

• marque08 and Sprink like this

#16 marque08

marque08

pretty mashed

• Respected User
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

the rot comes from mainly to high water temps over 19c and it can bloom and there is another one that can bloom if the water is to cold at sth like 15c, ive had them both :( lol but ive had some great grows in nft i found it best to block up the system to get more run on the tray as well , for me when the res was on a concrete floor worked best for me and never needed a chiller

I run channels with a separate res. I made stands for them. I've never liked the look of those nft kits. The only problem I ever have with res temps is to cold, which is easily sorted with a aquarium heater. Height of summer my res has never been over 18c.
  • Forest and Sprink like this

#17 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

Yep, my problem was I was using those tray kits and it was only 20 litres, and my house is warm.

I was chucking freezer blocks in there all the time. But I'd put one in before bed, and by the time I woke up, too late.

Way too much pressure

The only system I can imagine using now is flood & drain with coco. Damn I've wanted that for so long, but buckets, bricks & trays is much more in my price range :)

@marque08

coco hand fed run to waste will almost definitely use more water than NFT, and it can be a PITA, but I find it's more palatable making up as much as poss in one go

When I've got a big grow on, like filling a 1.2m tent, I make up 120 litres and that might last 6 days in that scenario. But then there's the benefits of no extra noise & pumps etc

• marque08 likes this

#18 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

yep you need cold concrete floors or a chiller   in a warm house for sure , got any pics of your  channels? so your root dont hit a res then as it separate?  as you have found you wont get rot in that system, id love to see it is there a diary?

id also like a flood and drain table  with coco in fabric pots recirculating, that would be my ideal set up now but i dont have the space my little cottage is tiny cant fit a tent in anywhere

• marque08 likes this

#19 marque08

marque08

pretty mashed

• Respected User
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

yep you need cold concrete floors or a chiller in a warm house for sure , got any pics of your channels? so your root dont hit a res then as it separate? as you have found you wont get rot in that system, id love to see it is there a diary?

id also like a flood and drain table with coco in fabric pots recirculating, that would be my ideal set up now but i dont have the space my little cottage is tiny cant fit a tent in anywhere

The roots do make their way down to the res eventually, it's just a plastic tote that sits under the exit holes. It's exactly like the ones in the pics ( only much smaller lol. ) I have 3 chanels about a meter long, normally do 5 plants in a 2 1 2 layout. I don't really do diarys as I can never be arsed to finish them. I'll get a couple of actual pics from the shed though if you like:)

Attached Files

Edited by marque08, 20 November 2016 - 01:26 AM.

• Forest likes this

#20 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

thats quite interesting,  if its not to much trouble i would like to see it in its entirety  i did love active hydro when i used to do it , i almost find cooc a bit boring with nothing to do , some times thats a good thing but i do miss the fiddling   , did you diy yours?

• marque08 likes this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.