#1 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

Bit of advice please 

I had a grow  tent in my garage in the summer for my first grow (in soil)  Boxed the 6inch RVK to reduce sound.

I walk into the garage from my little garden, my gate is next to the walkway three neighbors use to access theirs as its one of four garages which are all attached, and I have neighbor whose car is  parked next to my garage front up and over door. So stealth is critical.

Had a terrible job when we had some summer keeping the tent cool.

So  I've got my some studding ready to partition an area of the garage off for stealth, insulation and sound proofing.

I boxed my fan with Rockwool which has thermal and sound insulation properties and it works really well, doesnt  catch fire either.

I've had a read around and I don't know whether to infill the studding/ceiling with Rockwool, Kingspan or Celo,  I've read lots of posts about Kingspan but wondered whether Rockwool would do the job well enough?

Welcome any views  :)  :)

Dutchy

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 4 others like this

#2 Chew

Chew

BioBomber

• Respected User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Yo Dutchy,

I would go with kingspan or celotex. Better than Rockwool mate :)
Take a look at seconds and co for cheaper boards :)

Edited by Chew, 12 December 2016 - 05:48 PM.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 3 others like this

#3 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hi Dutchy, I used the rigid rockwool slabs between the studding on my brick built garage and it works fine.

Kingspan or Celo would be just as good (if not better) but more expensive.

If there is any chance of rain water getting in there use the KS or Celo.

All good things

TDA

• Dekay, duke, Sprink and 4 others like this

#4 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

Bit of advice please 

I had a grow  tent in my garage in the summer for my first grow (in soil)  Boxed the 6inch RVK to reduce sound.

I walk into the garage from my little garden, my gate is next to the walkway three neighbors use to access theirs as its one of four garages which are all attached, and I have neighbor whose car is  parked next to my garage front up and over door. So stealth is critical.

Had a terrible job when we had some summer keeping the tent cool.

So  I've got my some studding ready to partition an area of the garage off for stealth, insulation and sound proofing.

I boxed my fan with Rockwool which has thermal and sound insulation properties and it works really well, doesnt  catch fire either.

I've had a read around and I don't know whether to infill the studding/ceiling with Rockwool, Kingspan or Celo,  I've read lots of posts about Kingspan but wondered whether Rockwool would do the job well enough?

Welcome any views  :)  :)

Dutchy

Or8 pal i work with insulation on a weekly basis and can firmly say kingspan/celotex allday long both for its insulation properties and its workability.Insulating largeish spaces is a nitemare with roll compared to sheet ;)  .

Cheers BC

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 2 others like this

#5 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

after a lot of reading about sound proofing : celetx/kingspan is the worst thing (trust me i know)  high density rockwall is much better as the dude says the slabs will be best and some are sold just for this (sound)   and thick plaster board is  really very much better (you can get some that is specially for  sound stuff as well), sound travels though low density stuff, so always chose high density, rubber is very good as well 

you can get some stuff called green glue to paint on as well , and you must tape/seal ALL joints/gaps cos they let sound out    , go read  a few google hits for sound proofing for music  you will learn the best ways  to do it 

ply wood is good if you use marine ply  cos its harder wood and thus more dense

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 6 others like this

#6 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Yo Dutchy,

I would go with kingspan or celotex. Better than Rockwool mate :)
Take a look at seconds and co for cheaper boards :)

Cheers The chew I shall have a look at seconds and co, thanks mate

• Sprink, Bubonik Chronic and Chew like this

#7 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi Dutchy, I used the rigid rockwool slabs between the studding on my brick built garage and it works fine.

Kingspan or Celo would be just as good (if not better) but more expensive.

If there is any chance of rain water getting in there use the KS or Celo.

All good things

TDA

Cheers TDA

• The Dude Abides, Sprink and Chew like this

#8 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

Or8 pal i work with insulation on a weekly basis and can firmly say kingspan/celotex allday long both for its insulation properties and its workability.Insulating largeish spaces is a nitemare with roll compared to sheet ;)  .

Cheers BC

Cool Thanks BC, workability isnt something I'd concerned but having stuffed a fan box with it, I see where your coming from on the Rockwool

• Dekay, Sprink, Bubonik Chronic and 1 other like this

#9 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

after a lot of reading about sound proofing : celetx/kingspan is the worst thing (trust me i know)  high density rockwall is much better as the dude says the slabs will be best and some are sold just for this (sound)   and thick plaster board is  really very much better (you can get some that is specially for  sound stuff as well), sound travels though low density stuff, so always chose high density, rubber is very good as well 

you can get some stuff called green glue to paint on as well , and you must tape/seal ALL joints/gaps cos they let sound out    , go read  a few google hits for sound proofing for music  you will learn the best ways  to do it 

ply wood is good if you use marine ply  cos its harder wood and thus more dense

Sound is a big issue with neighbours 2 meters away so Im confused.com now lol, Thanks mukka

• Dekay, 2scoops, CocoMonkey and 3 others like this

#10 CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Starting out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

Sound is a big issue with neighbours 2 meters away so Im confused.com now lol, Thanks mukka

I spose you could use both at half the thickness and you have the best of both worlds
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, Sprink and 4 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.