Photo
- - - - -

Regular seeds & sexing them questions

reg seeds sexing plants

Best Answer Budgie , 27 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have to admit all this cuts and rooting and 12/12 all works, but it only get you a week in front maybe, and can stress the plants if you're not carefull.

If you're really interested in breeding you need a little low watt veg cab and keep the young plants in 1-2l pots. They will grow slowly, yet still mature agewise and it's only 4-6weeks for them to show anyway

You'll be able to really examine them as they develop into canna  puberty and then isolate the boys/girls that look the best/strongest. Dump any weedy looking plants, pot up into a flowering/finishing pot, give them a week or two to lay down roots and flip'em

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm shortly going to be growing regular seeds and want to know a few methods I can use to sex plants as early as possible when growing reg seeds

I may keep select males for breeding depending on strain type etc & ideally I want to find a bonsai mum to take cuts from.

Is flowering early in to veg, so plant show sex the best way to show male & female plants?

Or is the method of taking cuts early in veg and flowering cuts a better method of finding out sex of plants?

Anyone got other methods of sexing reg seeds early?

Edited by gingerb, 22 December 2016 - 12:45 PM.

• Dekay, RealMed, The Dude Abides and 8 others like this

#2 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

A good jewellers loupe is usefull m8 x10 or above magnification
  • Dekay, duke, Roy Cropper and 4 others like this

#3 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Once plant has grown and is full on matured , it will show it`s own sex, its as simple as checking for balls or pistil hairs every now n then (pre-pflowers), check out the picture i posted. It can take a few months for them to show sex during vegging but owt from 4 to 8 weeks generally is a go-er.

Attached File  1.jpg   48.63KB   0 downloads

Edited by jimmi2scoops, 22 December 2016 - 01:59 PM.
veg

• Dekay, duke, Roy Cropper and 7 others like this

#4 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Cheers jimmi

• duke, Roy Cropper, Sprink and 1 other like this

#5 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Yes I've been thinking about this too, although I don't like the idea of keeping a boy, I don't want accidents

I only want some pollen to dust with

I knew they'd show sex in veg eventually, but I haven't seen it happen with photos for at least 5-6 weeks, usually more

I suppose how you do it should depend on how many you're doing. If it's only a handful then that should be fine, but then again if you take cutts & 12/12 them, that's still weeks in the making

I'm thinking about doing maybe 5 regs in a tent 12/12 from seed. I'm not going to be counting on getting much bud from the girls, but it's a quick route to boy dust and with bud bonus

• The Dude Abides, duke, Roy Cropper and 3 others like this

#6 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

hi gingerb i start them of on 12-12 and about 25-30 days get out a mag glass or loupe and examine carefully the leaf axils and observe daily until you see the ball sacks of the male or white hairs of pistils of the female you can then return them to longer light cycle to reveg and flower or take cuts or milk for pollen but do be aware of safe methods of husbandry or you will end up with every girl in your house getting jizzed! seperate tents are no good if in the same room unless you are so careful its scary,peace

• The Dude Abides, Sprink, gingerb and 2 others like this

#7 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Cheers Duke & Sprink,

Sounds like 12/12 is my route to go, till I find what i am seeking.

Only want a male for pollen not too keep, so far my first attempt at breeding went very smooth.

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 3 others like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

i like starting seeds of underneath my scrog and if your lucky like me with the enviroment in that particular drobe they thrive i guess in part due to the higher humidity and constant temp the dappled light under the net seems to suit them far better than one would imagine indeed my 2 biggest ever girls of @RealMed gdp x mazar started life in this manner and proved my best yield though they tasted minging!peace

• Budgie, RealMed, The Dude Abides and 5 others like this

#9 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

Have a look at first page of this m8

http://www.t-g-c.nl/...-welsh-valleys/
  • RealMed, The Dude Abides, duke and 2 others like this

#10 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

Cheers olmec that's helpful

• duke, Sprink, Dex and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.