Photo
- - - - -

Regular seeds & sexing them questions

reg seeds sexing plants

Best Answer Budgie , 27 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have to admit all this cuts and rooting and 12/12 all works, but it only get you a week in front maybe, and can stress the plants if you're not carefull.

If you're really interested in breeding you need a little low watt veg cab and keep the young plants in 1-2l pots. They will grow slowly, yet still mature agewise and it's only 4-6weeks for them to show anyway

You'll be able to really examine them as they develop into canna  puberty and then isolate the boys/girls that look the best/strongest. Dump any weedy looking plants, pot up into a flowering/finishing pot, give them a week or two to lay down roots and flip'em

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Sprink

Sprink

Harletan

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Cheers Duke & Sprink,

Sounds like 12/12 is my route to go, till I find what i am seeking.

Only want a male for pollen not too keep, so far my first attempt at breeding went very smooth.

Hey Ginge

So what you crossed so far and how did you do it?

• duke, gingerb, Dex and 1 other like this

#12 RealMed

RealMed

Pollen Sprinkler

• Breeder
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

I have been looking into 12-1 light system, but I also have decided to only grow seedlings indoors 12-12 or maybe when it starts getting warmer trying the 12-1 when I don't need the heat from the veg light.  Anyhow growing seed in flower there's some things I like about it and I wont grow fems. so here they are..

#1  closer nob, flower light growth keeps there height down and will give more branched latter on.

#2 will sex in about 4 weeks, and can cull any males or down to only a few females if you want.  I cull 70%  to 90% of my seedlings

#3 after sexed I can put under the veg light, and grow how ever big I want and they wont go into true flower till put back under flower light time.  

Edited by RealMed, 24 December 2016 - 06:52 PM.

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, duke and 4 others like this

#13 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Hey Ginge

So what you crossed so far and how did you do it?

Not crossed anything yet, as favour to @Budgie created some F2 Gumbow seeds from his F1 seeds.

I guess I must of been lucky as I just pollenated x1 isolated bud on my female plant and got nice amount of seeds come harvest.

I want to play around with my own cross but not ever consider what I will be using yet.

I think I maybe doing my more fem seed grow and then switch to regulars.

• Budgie, RealMed, The Dude Abides and 4 others like this

#14 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

im just sexing some sugar kiss by north star genetics  7 weeks old and they have just shown enough to tell by loupe for sure  yesterday  , sound like dukes method is the fastest

• Budgie, RealMed, The Dude Abides and 4 others like this

#15 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

12/12 is quickest way.

Just be careful not to always pick the earliest boy to show.....it can bring out regressive genes (hemp traits) which usually means it drops thc levels :( 

• duke, Sprink and Dutchy like this

#16 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

@gingerb  I havent tried this fella, its  a cut and paste, I think the principle is same as pollinating part of a plant, keep it away from the rest, this suggests localised 12/12

How do I sex using a paper bag?

Get a small paper bag or something similar that is lightproof (a paper bag will not be suitable for strong H.I.D lighting), and a plastic coated twist tie.

Select a plant that you would like to sex and choose a growing tip. Take the paper bag, place it over the top of the selected tip and seal with the twisty tie. Then, to simulate the flowering phase, simply remove the bag after the 12hr dark period, and replace when the 12hr day cycle ends.

After 7-14 days, the growth-tip you covered should start showing signs of its sex.

Editor's note:
Caution should be taken when closing the bag too tightly around the branch.
A small opening should be left open to allow air exchange and prevent heat buildup. Black materials tend to heat up and the branch may suffer from excess heat, causing wilting.

(10k)
"There is plenty of air inside the paper baggage because it would hold its own blown up shape...sorta balloned over the branch tip."

This is for people that dont have room for clones or just want to know the sex of there plant without takeing and rooting early cuttings.

Things you need:
1 can of black spray piant
1 box of plastic ziplock baggie (sandwich bag size)

Take the plastic baggie and spraypaint the outside of the baggie, then find one of the lower branches that is furthest from the light (this will insure that light reflection on the black paint isnt too intence for heat buildup)and just simply slip the baggie over the branch for 12 hours of darkness.

If you have painted the whole baggie, then no light will get through to the branch when the lights are on. You will see sex on that one branch in 7 to 10 days in most cases.

• Budgie, duke, gingerb and 1 other like this

#17 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

@gingerb I havent tried this fella, its a cut and paste, I think the principle is same as pollinating part of a plant, keep it away from the rest, this suggests localised 12/12

How do I sex using a paper bag?
Get a small paper bag or something similar that is lightproof (a paper bag will not be suitable for strong H.I.D lighting), and a plastic coated twist tie.
Select a plant that you would like to sex and choose a growing tip. Take the paper bag, place it over the top of the selected tip and seal with the twisty tie. Then, to simulate the flowering phase, simply remove the bag after the 12hr dark period, and replace when the 12hr day cycle ends.
After 7-14 days, the growth-tip you covered should start showing signs of its sex.
Editor's note:
Caution should be taken when closing the bag too tightly around the branch.
A small opening should be left open to allow air exchange and prevent heat buildup. Black materials tend to heat up and the branch may suffer from excess heat, causing wilting.
(10k)
"There is plenty of air inside the paper baggage because it would hold its own blown up shape...sorta balloned over the branch tip."
This is for people that dont have room for clones or just want to know the sex of there plant without takeing and rooting early cuttings.
Things you need:
1 can of black spray piant
1 box of plastic ziplock baggie (sandwich bag size)
Take the plastic baggie and spraypaint the outside of the baggie, then find one of the lower branches that is furthest from the light (this will insure that light reflection on the black paint isnt too intence for heat buildup)and just simply slip the baggie over the branch for 12 hours of darkness.
If you have painted the whole baggie, then no light will get through to the branch when the lights are on. You will see sex on that one branch in 7 to 10 days in most cases.

I can see this working well.

There is a horse chestnut down the road from me that has one large branch that has grown around a lamp post. This branch always has leaves and blossom even when the other 90% of the tree has shed the rest of its leaves ;)

Nice info
  • Budgie, duke, gingerb and 1 other like this

#18 Roy Cropper

Roy Cropper

grow, smoke, eat, repeat.

• Respected User
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

take a clone off said plant, chuck it in a jiffy puck to root, but do it on 12/12, apparently they will show sex before rooting ! 

must work i saw it on youtube lol !

from what i saw it says something like it will be forced to flower before rooting ! never have done it this way tho ! 

• Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 2 others like this

#19 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:39 PM   Best Answer

I have to admit all this cuts and rooting and 12/12 all works, but it only get you a week in front maybe, and can stress the plants if you're not carefull.

If you're really interested in breeding you need a little low watt veg cab and keep the young plants in 1-2l pots. They will grow slowly, yet still mature agewise and it's only 4-6weeks for them to show anyway

You'll be able to really examine them as they develop into canna  puberty and then isolate the boys/girls that look the best/strongest. Dump any weedy looking plants, pot up into a flowering/finishing pot, give them a week or two to lay down roots and flip'em

• The Dude Abides, duke, Roy Cropper and 4 others like this

#20 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

If you're really interesested in breeding you need a little low watt veg cab and keep the young plants in 1-2l pots. They will grow slowly, yet still mature agewise and it's only 4-6weeks for them to show anyway

Brill, thank you for the shared wisdom @Budgie  :)

Edited by Dutchy, 27 January 2017 - 06:48 PM.

• Budgie, The Dude Abides, Petal and 1 other like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.