• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

imo all those apparent defs are caused by the proximity of the lamp as all the leaves will become sickly due to reverse transpiration instead of the plant being able to utilise the nutrients you are giving it it is having to process its food in a more limited manner ie only those leaves not getting cooked will function as they should,at lights of they use the big fan leaves to rid themselves of toxic gases etc which cant happen if the leafs temp is above a certain temp so they appear deffy and sickly,if you cant raise the light can you not switch it down to 600w?

imo you would get more bud from a 600w in the right place than a 1000w thats constantly cooking them,good luck

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, jackball17 and 5 others like this

#12 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

imo all those apparent defs are caused by the proximity of the lamp as all the leaves will become sickly due to reverse transpiration instead of the plant being able to utilise the nutrients you are giving it it is having to process its food in a more limited manner ie only those leaves not getting cooked will function as they should,at lights of they use the big fan leaves to rid themselves of toxic gases etc which cant happen if the leafs temp is above a certain temp so they appear deffy and sickly,if you cant raise the light can you not switch it down to 600w?

imo you would get more bud from a 600w in the right place than a 1000w thats constantly cooking them,good luck

Ahhh right that makes sense. Thanks duke.

One thing I did notice was it mainly seems to be colas I've also pinched out to control stretch, quite recently (i.e. within the last 10 days). Do you think that by doing that, it's locked that branch out. I mean, say I've got a cola that's flowering and I pinch out the stem to control the height then those buds are "cut-off" from the main supply of food until the pinching damage repairs. No doubt the buds will still try to form and so they have to resort to sucking the nutes out the leaves around it until the pinch damage to the stem is repaired and the flow of food restored from the main trunk? And maybe while that's happening and those colas are "vulnerable / weakened" the intensity of the light is causing them to do what you said in addition to all of that?

Just a thought.

I'm going to try and tie some more of the colas down if I can later. If push comes to shove I will turn down the lamp. Well, I'll just take out the 1000W, set the ballast to 600W and put in a dedicated 600W lamp.

Thanks again!!!

Edited by TheGreenMachine, 02 January 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• The Dude Abides, duke, Dex and 2 others like this

#13 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Ahhh right that makes sense. Thanks duke.

One thing I did notice was it mainly seems to be colas I've also pinched out to control stretch, quite recently (i.e. within the last 10 days). Do you think that by doing that, it's locked that branch out. I mean, say I've got a cola that's flowering and I pinch out the stem to control the height then those buds are "cut-off" from the main supply of food until the pinching damage repairs. No doubt the buds will still try to form and so they have to resort to sucking the nutes out the leaves around it until the pinch damage to the stem is repaired and the flow of food restored from the main trunk? And maybe while that's happening, the intensity of the light is causing them to do what you said in addition to all of that?

Just a thought.

that makes some sense as ime it takes about 3-4 days after supercrop before full nutrient flow is resumed but the effect long term is beneficial and my biggest best buds are allways on scropped branches as the scropping causes widening of the food pathway like the difference between an A road and a motorway but yes in that few days they would be more vulnerable to light stress tbh you been very lucky not to have ladyboy bits before now,good luck we live and learn,peace

• The Dude Abides, Dex, TheGreenMachine and 2 others like this

#14 TheGreenMachine

TheGreenMachine

Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Right then... Looks like I'm going to have to get drastic with the bondage rope n tie that bitch back somehow lol

:D :D :D

• The Dude Abides, duke, Dex and 2 others like this

#15 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Right then... Looks like I'm going to have to get drastic with the bondage rope n tie that bitch back somehow lol

:D :D :D

i found some plants bend easier than others but in general if i need to get drastic with scropping/tying up i found it pays to wrap a length of tape around thicker stems and then i use pliers and crush all around the said stem then bend it at the middle of the taped bit that way even if the majority of the stem snaps it stays together long enough to heal and with the addition of string ties (or better my scrog net} they stay down then. but bearing in mind mine is a small drobe with very small headroom so i do have to be strict/brutal at times ie the killa watt in my current scrog has had much scropping and even the main stem has been scropped and so far shes looking happy as can be,250w light can get far closer without damage than you would imagine,peace

• The Dude Abides, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#16 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

If ALL the colas close to the lamp were doing this I'd think bleaching straight away but the bleaching is so random :/ I mean I've got one cola sat 2 inches below the lamp and it's fine :/

I've not used a parabolic reflector, but I imagine that directly beneath the lamp might be one of the cooler spots because not much light (or heat) comes out of the end of a lamp - Most of it comes out of the sides/length.

And that's why horizontal lamps should be placed parallel to the short side of the space, rather than lengthways down the middle.
  • The Dude Abides, duke, jackball17 and 1 other like this

#17 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

I've not used a parabolic reflector, but I imagine that directly beneath the lamp might be one of the cooler spots because not much light (or heat) comes out of the end of a lamp - Most of it comes out of the sides/length.

And that's why horizontal lamps should be placed parallel to the short side of the space, rather than lengthways down the middle.

thats dead right missy i was amazed how close some folk can get with a para and vert bulb but i think even if the temp is not massive the intensity of the light at that distance is far more than is healthy i had thought maybe the addition of a fan in the top maybe just a small pc type and direct the heat away more but then theres still the headroom issue and of course even the smaller para wont fit my drobes,peace

• The Dude Abides and Dutchy like this

#18 Dutchy

Dutchy

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

i found some plants bend easier than others but in general if i need to get drastic with scropping/tying up i found it pays to wrap a length of tape around thicker stems and then i use pliers and crush all around the said stem then bend it at the middle of the taped bit that way even if the majority of the stem snaps it stays together long enough to heal and with the addition of string ties (or better my scrog net} they stay down then. but bearing in mind mine is a small drobe with very small headroom so i do have to be strict/brutal at times ie the killa watt in my current scrog has had much scropping and even the main stem has been scropped and so far shes looking happy as can be,250w light can get far closer without damage than you would imagine,peace

What a great tip that is Duke  :)  :)  Gotta try this when the chance arises , mucho gracias Senor.

• The Dude Abides and duke like this

#19 rasputin

rasputin

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

to much light

• 2scoops likes this

#20 Tobys smoking a fatun

Tobys smoking a fatun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Looks like heat stress but then it also looks like mag def too. Is your feed dialled in mate? 

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.