• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hi folks, following the response to my status update on packing in the tobacco, I thought I'd start a thread.

I'm 59 now and been smoking since I was 14, 20-25 a day (hand rolled), I have tried to give up twice before and each time lasted about 6 months.

This time I hope to make it permanent.

My main obstacles to this are that I really enjoy smoking and don't have a financial incentive to give up (I can afford it and the patches and e-cigs cost more than my baccy habit anyway).

I am using full strength patches and e-cigs and have a good vaporiser for my weed https://www.storz-bi...p_us/en/mighty/.

Cost me 250 Euros so it should be good lol (could have bought 2 kilos of tobacco for that!)

I gave up the day before new years eve, never been good with resolutions, so far not too bad except for those special times, first thing in the morning for an Alton Byrd, after meals, down the pub, I suppose it's down to breaking old habits, maybe you can teach an old dog new trichs?

My last 2 relapses were when I was in France on my own, over here in the UK Jackball and Beanhead keep me in line cos they are in the same boat.

So I need you lot to support me if I start to waver please.

Thanks and all good things

TDA

• Mrs Willy, 2scoops, weedtroll and 14 others like this

#2 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Dude if your looking for the real deal on bakki juices cus those sweetie and fruit fl;avours just dont cut it then this guy is a master of the bakkii flavours and has turned it into an art form https://houseofliqui...ections/el-toro el toro puros dark being my fave, but this guy only uses the best stuff, theirs a good read how he makes his juices on the site, very unique and the only bloke i come across makes juices this way in used wooden whisky and brandy barrels with real bakki leaf steeped for donks. You`ll love these, i like 20mg nic strength for a nice throat hit. A bit more pricey but these are way above anything i`ve tried and are like real ciggies or cigars, in fact if like cigars their el toro cigar flavours are bloody awsome. Good luck Dude.

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, duke and 7 others like this

#3 Chew

Chew

BioBomber

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

Good luck Dude. I hope you do mate. 

My old man quit using a cheap arse vape pen. He did struggle though and was sneaking out for fags but he got there in the end :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 4 others like this

#4 DreDdYBoY

DreDdYBoY

Sir smoke alot

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

I quit smoking tobacco 7 weeks ago dude. I do however have a lil baccy in a spliff... cutting it out gradually. I even use a swan extra slim as a roach an smoke them 85% pure now ;)
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 4 others like this

#5 Petal

Petal

Flower Power

• Respected User
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi Dude, my own quit smoking story is similar to yours so far as same age, rolled my own, been smoking since 17 and I had half hearted attempts to quit in the past but lasted no longer than 3 months. My road to stopping is a similar path to yours. I bought an e cig from America and the various juices (no nicotine e cigs here in australia) ...my favourite e cig was the one that plugged straight into my laptop and I would just sit sucking on that thing non stop!! I also stopped drinking grog though as smoking and drinking just go together and that would be my downfall.

Anyway, I stopped rolling tobacco which as you know is a whole delightful experience in it's own, all part of the habit of it aside from the nicotine addiction. so I took to the e cigs with a vengeance and I had been sucking non stop on them for about 9 months just before Christmas 2 years ago when I found I was just sucking on that thing just automatically sticking it in my gob with no thought so I unplugged it, hid my ecig products and wondered how long I could go without sucking on it...I never picked it up again, I found it amazingly easy compared to the climbing of the walls I had gone through on previous non smoking attempts. I cant tell you how many times I chucked a nearly full packet of baccy in the bin only to go scrounging through the  bin to fish it out a few hours later lolol.

I believe that those 9 months of stopping smoking rollies and sucking on e cigs helped to break the habit of rolling, that action in itself is quite a strong thing and I would just go on auto pilot and before I knew it I had one rolled and lit and already in the gob. Of course, then I went on auto pilot sucking on the e cig but all those years of rolling the habit was broken and then it was just the nicotine addiction to deal with...a much easier task I found.

Other strategies that helped me was I read up everything about giving up smoking on various websites, and learnt about nicotine receptors in the brain and how they work when you just have  one ciggy and they open up and scream out for more! Other things I took note of was to keep busy, I started walking, then the gym etc. I read that eating fruit and drinking lots of water and fruit juice helped take the edge of cravings too.

Another tip was that the worst time giving up was in the first 3 days. So once you get past those first 3 days I read it got easier. that was encouraging to me.

The main take home message that really helped me that I just kept repeating to myself was "just don't pick up that first cigarette".

All the best Dude xx

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 6 others like this

#6 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Dude if your looking for the real deal on bakki juices cus those sweetie and fruit fl;avours just dont cut it then this guy is a master of the bakkii flavours and has turned it into an art form https://houseofliqui...ections/el-toro el toro puros dark being my fave, but this guy only uses the best stuff, theirs a good read how he makes his juices on the site, very unique and the only bloke i come across makes juices this way in used wooden whisky and brandy barrels with real bakki leaf steeped for donks. You`ll love these, i like 20mg nic strength for a nice throat hit. A bit more pricey but these are way above anything i`ve tried and are like real ciggies or cigars, in fact if like cigars their el toro cigar flavours are bloody awsome. Good luck Dude.

I'll check that out Jimmi, I'm just using the tobacco flavoured cheapo e-cigs atm, look like a fag but weigh 5 times as much.

Don't know if you've read Allen Carrs (not the big toothed annoying prick off the idiot lantern) books about giving up?

Heard a lot of people who've quit mention them, so I decided to have a look and have just read his book on controlling your alcohol intake. 

Very interesting stuff.

I haven't had a drink since.

I only finished the book last night, so will probably be pissed within the hour.

Good luck.

:)

I did read his book about 15yrs ago Marc, good stuff, I hate the big business tobacco companies but can't bring myself to hate tobacco, I love it.

The cutting down on alcohol is a no no for me, I need it even more now I've packed up the fags, just opening my 2nd bottle of red as we speak.

Good luck to you too amigo.

All good things

TDA

• Dekay, 2scoops, KiefKat and 6 others like this

#7 Zipp

Zipp

Coco Automatic Mod'ness

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

happy new year dude :D :D

got the fingers crossed mukka ... thats me nearly 2yrs off  the puff and wow it makes a diff so stick at it mate  :vape: :vape: :tgc:

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 3 others like this

#8 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Good luck Dude. I hope you do mate. 

My old man quit using a cheap arse vape pen. He did struggle though and was sneaking out for fags but he got there in the end :)

Cheers Chew, not sneaked out for one yet, been tempted though, glad he got there in the end.

I quit smoking tobacco 7 weeks ago dude. I do however have a lil baccy in a spliff... cutting it out gradually. I even use a swan extra slim as a roach an smoke them 85% pure now ;)

Ohh, you can't do that Dreddy, that would be fatal for me, I thinks I need to stop smoking everything to have a chance.

Hi Dude, my own quit smoking story is similar to yours so far as same age, rolled my own, been smoking since 17 and I had half hearted attempts to quit in the past but lasted no longer than 3 months. My road to stopping is a similar path to yours. I bought an e cig from America and the various juices (no nicotine e cigs here in australia) ...my favourite e cig was the one that plugged straight into my laptop and I would just sit sucking on that thing non stop!! I also stopped drinking grog though as smoking and drinking just go together and that would be my downfall.

Anyway, I stopped rolling tobacco which as you know is a whole delightful experience in it's own, all part of the habit of it aside from the nicotine addiction. so I took to the e cigs with a vengeance and I had been sucking non stop on them for about 9 months just before Christmas 2 years ago when I found I was just sucking on that thing just automatically sticking it in my gob with no thought so I unplugged it, hid my ecig products and wondered how long I could go without sucking on it...I never picked it up again, I found it amazingly easy compared to the climbing of the walls I had gone through on previous non smoking attempts. I cant tell you how many times I chucked a nearly full packet of baccy in the bin only to go scrounging through the  bin to fish it out a few hours later lolol.

I believe that those 9 months of stopping smoking rollies and sucking on e cigs helped to break the habit of rolling, that action in itself is quite a strong thing and I would just go on auto pilot and before I knew it I had one rolled and lit and already in the gob. Of course, then I went on auto pilot sucking on the e cig but all those years of rolling the habit was broken and then it was just the nicotine addiction to deal with...a much easier task I found.

Other strategies that helped me was I read up everything about giving up smoking on various websites, and learnt about nicotine receptors in the brain and how they work when you just have  one ciggy and they open up and scream out for more! Other things I took note of was to keep busy, I started walking, then the gym etc. I read that eating fruit and drinking lots of water and fruit juice helped take the edge of cravings too.

Another tip was that the worst time giving up was in the first 3 days. So once you get past those first 3 days I read it got easier. that was encouraging to me.

The main take home message that really helped me that I just kept repeating to myself was "just don't pick up that first cigarette".

All the best Dude xx

Thanks Petal, sounds like we're kindred spirits, got past the 3 day mark just the rest of my life to go!

I miss the rolling as much as the tobacco, don't know what to do with my hands (Mrs TDA frowns upon masturbation during daylight hours).

Having a good suck on an e-cig as we speak, fookin tastes horrible, don't think I'll get addicted to these.

Mrs and son are still smoking and keep apologising and hiding the ash trays but that doesn't bother me tbh, they smoke tailor made and I've never been keen on those.

Thanks for the kind words and support folks.

All good things

TDA

• Dekay, KiefKat, Zipp and 3 others like this

#9 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

I even use a swan extra slim as a roach an smoke them 85% pure now ;)

Yes i use those in my spliffs most of the time, like 5 boxes a quid from £land

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, Zipp and 4 others like this

#10 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

No Funny Stuff

• Sleeping Mods
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

happy new year dude :D :D

got the fingers crossed mukka ... thats me nearly 2yrs off  the puff and wow it makes a diff so stick at it mate  :vape: :vape: :tgc:

Nice one Zipp, after 2 years you must nearly be over it, they say your never a non smoker just an ex smoker once you've been addicted, well done amigo.

Happy new year to you and family as well.

All good things

TDA

• Dekay, Zipp, mrsDeeks and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with farty bits

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.