28 replies to this topic

#1 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Hey i been reading on safe ways to make oil and one was using ethanol to dissolve the crystals

Then leaving ethanol for five days to dissolve and leaving the oil behind :D

Has anyone done this ? I think i can do tjis one because i have a dog house outside that dogs use in summer i can leave the ethanol there :)

Any thoughts buddies
  • duke, Dutchy and symbol 22 like this

#2 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

How to make it. You will need to prepare a pure extract of marijuana resin by shaking some 20 buds and an abundant amount of leaves for ten minutes in a jar full of ethanol. This dissolves all the buds' resin in the liquid, which you should isolate from the plant matter using, for example, a paper coffee filter. Then leave the mixture of alcohol and resin to dry for five days or more, until you see that the alcohol has evaporated and only a blackish oil remains: the almost pure resin extract. With this method and amounts you will obtain a couple of grams of pure resin. Mix this with twenty times its weight in vegetal oil, stirring until the mixture is consistent.

This is what i came across from this site :D https://www.dinafem....inal-marijuana/

#3 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

Don't think it's as clean as ISO.
  • duke, Dex, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#4 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Given the choice, I'd probably use ethanol instead of isopropanol, but you can't buy in the UK :(

The best you're likely to find is Polish Spirit or Rectified Spirit, but it's not widely-stocked and is very expensive.
  • 2scoops, duke, Dex and 2 others like this

#5 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Given the choice, I'd probably use ethanol instead of isopropanol, but you can't buy in the UK :(

The best you're likely to find is Polish Spirit or Rectified Spirit, but it's not widely-stocked and is very expensive.

Yea my m8 gets ethanol for his drag car but says he has problems sourcing decent stuff

#6 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Don't think it's as clean as ISO.

Thanks for the reply buddy, amd hope you and family are well too

I have two questions

First is would iso do the same without the need for heat?

And i thought they werebjust all alchohol, whats the diffirence ?

if you dont mind me askin.. its why i stay away from saphisticated stuff ... not sure if i spelt that right either lol

Just seen the drag car comment damn is it that crazy lol
  • 2scoops, duke, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#7 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Yep, @olmec - I'd definitely want food grade ethanol to make sure it didn't have any toxic additives to make it undrinkable (along the lines of the methanol in methylated spirit).

Overall though, and somewhat off-topic, I think that butane and other non-water-soluble solvents are probably the best options for making oil, because they don't dissolve any of the unwanted/water-soluble material.

#8 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

safe ways to make oil

As long as you avoid heat and flames anywhere near the solvent or its vapour, it's all safe ;)

However, leaving a bowl of any alcohol lying around might not be - Accidents do happen and the vapour is flammable, and it may build up in an enclosed space (such as a dog house).

Perversely, perhaps, I reckon that one of the safest (and quickest) ways to make good oil is with butane - As long as it's done outdoors then it's probably about as risky as discharging a tin of lighter gas into the air - There's obviously some risk involved, but the gas dissipates quickly and because it evaporates relatively fast no heat or flame is required.
  • 2scoops, duke, Dex and 3 others like this

#9 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

As long as you avoid heat and flames anywhere near the solvent or its vapour, it's all safe ;)

However, leaving a bowl of any alcohol lying around might not be - Accidents do happen and the vapour is flammable, and it may build up in an enclosed space (such as a dog house).

Perversely, perhaps, I reckon that one of the safest (and quickest) ways to make good oil is with butane - As long as it's done outdoors then it's probably about as risky as discharging a tin of lighter gas into the air - There's obviously some risk involved, but the gas dissipates quickly and because it evaporates relatively fast no heat or flame is required.

Tey shifting the dog our the house when its warmer indoor than outside lol

And its in back garden and has a chimney openin to let air push through it helps cool em in summer bur they dont even look at it after summer heat has gone so was gonna pur i to use.. good air gets the corner where dog house is and i live in a pretty outskirt estate..

I can never do it inside and no chance on the butane.. ill just stick to coconut oil and sieving crusyals as mutvh as i can lol

Thanks for the reply too missy and hope your well too :)

#10 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

@Labs Dexter if you drink and are not bothered about the alcohol have you tried a tincture? easy to make no evap needed and was the old fashioned method we used in the 1800s all cannabis medicine just about was in tincture form i believe there are some tincture recipes on the med section i personally would prefer to use a more natural method if such a method was safe and efficient im sure we all would but sadly in the uk we are stuck with iso or similar non polar solvents but we are lucky in the usa the iso and often ethanol are denatured (made toxic to stop folk drinking it) our uk produced isopropyl is made in a different manner and not normally denatured.

i built my condenser still for doing the oil no open evap here and 90% iso recovered for further use so safe and economic and condenser is simple and cheap to make if you any good at real basic diy then you can make oil day or night with no fumes no smell at all,peace

• Dekay, Dex, Dutchy and 2 others like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.