105 replies to this topic

#1 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

So over the next month or so I'm going to be decorating my pad and setting up my fish tank. It's going to be 8 years since I've run a tank so I'm going to be rather rusty lol. I'm going to need new lights and was thinking of building something from led if anyone fancies helping me sort that bit out I'm a bit clueless on led's.
I'm also going to need a stand for it to sit on this is a big worry for me and will be my biggest challenge I think. My floor is not level so that's something the stand is going to have to compensate for and the next problem is my tank is very large @Anonymiss can you help me with the weight? How do I work it out if the size is

Height 24"
Depth 18"
Length 54"

382 litre's / 84 gallons

I no u can get the volume from that and then water has a weight per gallon..............I breath in far to many metal fumes for a living :llama:

So anyway we're was I yea I need led's for my lid and then a nice heavy stand that will be level and take all the weight of the water.

Then I will build something inside with as many caves and holes all over the place because male malawi's are very territorial and will constantly battle for best spots in the tank. There are constant stand off's, chases and posturing there is not really any physical fights it's all about swinging your hand bags. Il run the tank for about a week with no fish in it at all while things balance out and some bacteria has had a chance to develop then il be adding about 2 fish per week for a month and then il up it to 3 fish per week, this will allow the bacterial growth in my bio filter to increase in line with the amount of fish it's cleaning up for :)
Rather excited to be fair and il be getting some pics of the obligatory " no fishing sign " as things progress. There is nothing that can beat a good smoke and a stare into a fish tank.

Who has one?
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, hazed bunny and 10 others like this

#2 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

@Anonymiss can you help me with the weight? How do I work it out if the size is

Height 24"
Depth 18"
Length 54"

I no u can get the volume from that and then water has a weight per gallon..............I breath in far to many metal fumes for a living :llama:

Volume = 2 x 1.5 x 4.5 = 13.5 cubic feet.

Allowing for 63 pounds (or 28.5 kilos) per cubic foot of water, it'll weigh about 820 or pounds (or 370 kilos) when filled to the brim.
  • Dekay, The Dude Abides, 2scoops and 7 others like this

#3 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

We had a big fish tank until we had the house flooding from a bath left running......we get nice new floors afterwards though and carpets from insurance they didnt pay up on fish I dont think.

• The Dude Abides, 2scoops, denots and 3 others like this

#4 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Volume = 2 x 1.5 x 4.5 = 13.5 cubic feet.

Allowing for 63 pounds (or 28.5 kilos) per cubic foot of water, it'll weigh about 820 or pounds (or 370 kilos) when filled to the brim.

Thank you very much :)
  • denots, Dex and symbol 22 like this

#5 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

We had a big fish tank until we had the house flooding from a bath left running......we get nice new floors afterwards though and carpets from insurance they didnt pay up on fish I dont think.

I really can't wait m8 I've really missed my tank
  • Dekay, denots, Dex and 1 other like this

#6 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Sleeping Mods
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

I really can't wait m8 I've really missed my tank

I use to love me shark things but they tended to eat the other fish we figured out lol, and we had a giant sucker one that eats all the shite off bottom, was a sad day having to flush all them dead fish

• 2scoops, denots, wah wah and 2 others like this

#7 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

We always have a fish tank at home as a kid big 6ft or 7 ft long it was full of marine shyzer... When my dad died my mum got rid of it and got quite allot of money selling the bits off :D

Very expensive but very relaxing and mesmerising staring at the mushroom jelly fish thing we had lol looked cool at feeding time..

Looking forward to this omlec hope you get some pics up :D might get me to get a tank too lol good luck on yer mission brother :greet:
  • 2scoops, denots, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#8 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I use to love me shark things but they tended to eat the other fish we figured out lol, and we had a giant sucker one that eats all the shite off bottom, was a sad day having to flush all them dead fish

Was it a black shark with a red tail?

#9 olmec

olmec

earth bound misfit

• Respected User
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

We always have a fish tank at home as a kid big 6ft or 7 ft long it was full of marine shyzer... When my dad died my mum got rid of it and got quite allot of money selling the bits off :D

Very expensive but very relaxing and mesmerising staring at the mushroom jelly fish thing we had lol looked cool at feeding time..

Looking forward to this omlec hope you get some pics up :D might get me to get a tank too lol good luck on yer mission brother :greet:

I'm sure il be taking lots of pics of it as things come together m8. Of course u should have a tank ;)
  • Dex likes this

#10 Dex

Dex

Aka Jack frost

• Respected User
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

I'm sure il be taking lots of pics of it as things come together m8. Of course u should have a tank ;)

Lol three big dogs and three young kids I have me hands full for now I'll enjoy ur pics, and glad the wife hardly comes on here coz if she hears you saying it she will want one because of ours lol..
She still remembers it more than me lmao

Very expensive hobby if going marine.. What you thinking of having?
  • denots, Dutchy and symbol 22 like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.