31 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Could be another brain fart on the way. ..but we can blame @duke for feeding me the mushy peas on this one...

thinking about alternatives to grafting multiple strains onto a rootstock...

Surely it would be possible to take a couple of different strains, snip sonw cuts from them and rather than rooting each one individually, splicing or tieing them together so they all form a single knuckle and root as one?

Thoughts? Anyone fancy a go at it? Time for industrial air freshener to clear the farty smell?
  • Dekay, 2scoops, duke and 3 others like this

#2 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Could be another brain fart on the way. ..but we can blame @duke for feeding me the mushy peas on this one...

thinking about alternatives to grafting multiple strains onto a rootstock...

Surely it would be possible to take a couple of different strains, snip sonw cuts from them and rather than rooting each one individually, splicing or tieing them together so they all form a single knuckle and root as one?

Thoughts? Anyone fancy a go at it? Time for industrial air freshener to clear the farty smell?

hi yes i have done that before with trees and just twisted them around a central slightly bigger stem and if you strip a line from top to bottom a few mm wide and expose the cambium layers and cut a corresponding slot in the bigger trunk and try and have atleast i side of each alined perfect with the cambium layer and use grafting wax or in my case often gorilla tape to stop moisture entering the wound while it grafts but imo you better of with removing the roots from the scions and having a single rootstock in a smaller pot as imo if the mother has to have a very large pot it defeats the point thats why i plan mine as a bonsai to save much needed space,brainfarts are cool!peace

• Budgie, Dekay, 2scoops and 1 other like this

#3 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

hi yes i have done that before with trees and just twisted them around a central slightly bigger stem and if you strip a line from top to bottom a few mm wide and expose the cambium layers and cut a corresponding slot in the bigger trunk and try and have atleast i side of each alined perfect with the cambium layer and use grafting wax or in my case often gorilla tape to stop moisture entering the wound while it grafts but imo you better of with removing the roots from the scions and having a single rootstock in a smaller pot as imo if the mother has to have a very large pot it defeats the point thats why i plan mine as a bonsai to save much needed space,brainfarts are cool!peace

Isn't that still grafting though? As opposed to rooting cuts as one so they form a co-joined new root system?
Granted that it may start with multiple stems if they dont merge as they grow
  • duke, Dex and symbol 22 like this

#4 gingerb

gingerb

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

I've heard about this Budgie, in theory you could have plant with each top from a different strain.

Don't ask me how its done as don't have a clue but have read about it somewhere.

• Budgie, duke, Dex and 1 other like this

#5 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Respected User
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Class!!! very fricking interesting
  • Dex likes this

#6 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

I like a good experiment so I'm gonna give it a shot (or should that be a shoot ;) )

Got some sexed kush vars ready for a bit of snipping and a sacrificial phatter stemmed top use as the central cut to splice onto.

Just thinking the best way to secure them without constricting any root dev. If one rots off they could all get screwed I'm thinking.
  • 2scoops, Dex and symbol 22 like this

#7 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Respected User
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Gonna have a go lol going to use my zambeza strains! One can only try can't one!. Be a while till mine ready to take cuts but I'll try in an aeroponic propagater
  • Budgie, Dex and rasputin like this

#8 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Gonna have a go lol going to use my zambeza strains! One can only try can't one!. Be a while till mine ready to take cuts but I'll try in an aeroponic propagater

Nice one fella :mr: Get plenty of pics won't you :)

Im really hoping it works though, then phase two is mixing up a colour pallete of strains and flowering the whole thing off at once
  • Dex and symbol 22 like this

#9 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Respected User
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yeah @Budgie I'll take plenty of pics will end up on my zam diary lol I'll 100 percent give it a whirl
  • Budgie and Dex like this

#10 symbol 22

symbol 22

Sir ledalot

• Respected User
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Nice one fella :mr: Get plenty of pics won't you :)

Im really hoping it works though, then phase two is mixing up a colour pallete of strains and flowering the whole thing off at once

I'm going to order the granddaddy purple strain soon so if it does work that would really be a nice edition lovely colour to that one
  • Budgie and Dex like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.