#11 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

here's my shot at trying it.

Did a bit more searching and reading and I still haven't found a good example of any that have been grown out to the end of flower, how it effects the finishing times of different strains etc,. The main thing though, especially for UK/plant number restricted growers,  is the ability to have several strains on a multi strain mother and them still counting as one plant in the eyes of the plod. :)

But while I was busy experimenting I had another couple of brain-farts... like doing it with seedlings but layering their stems together, super cropping and inserting graft cuts into/alongside the bend....I can feel a few mad professor challenges coming up in the next few months :gbwiz:

• 2scoops, duke and Dex like this

#12 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Could be another brain fart on the way. ..but we can blame @duke for feeding me the mushy peas on this one...

thinking about alternatives to grafting multiple strains onto a rootstock...

Surely it would be possible to take a couple of different strains, snip sonw cuts from them and rather than rooting each one individually, splicing or tieing them together so they all form a single knuckle and root as one?

Thoughts? Anyone fancy a go at it? Time for industrial air freshener to clear the farty smell?

Step away from the mushy peas Budgie,

If I understand you correctly you are proposing a root tangle which will impact negatively on each plant. Some plants roots give off inhibitor hormones to prevent competition. Duke has suggested the simplest grafting method also known as the handshake method. You scrape of the bark and cambium on both plants and use a peg so the cut areas are touching. In order for a graft to take the xylem and phloem (like our veins but in a botanical sense) need to be lined up on both graft areas so sugars and water can be transported from and to the root system. A root system will not effect in any way the genetic make up of the scion (THE GRAFTED MATERIAL). The best way to secure the handshake graft is with tape and a peg. Roots will not graft to one another.

On the other subject of cloning this video shows air layering, also a means of keeping plant numbers down. Apologies for the whinny mercan accent. As always ignore everything I write.

• Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 1 other like this

#13 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

I get what you're saying about the root tangle @Ken Erbis, but I'm thinking along the lines of as the callus forms around the cut site(s) that it will callus accross all three cuts effectivley making a single root system, not three tangled, competing root systems?

It's an experiment after all that I've not seen before  :), perhaps with good reason.

Yeah I get the handshake method, and that's something else I fancy a shot at, both with cuts grafted onto a single mother/scion and with cuts dangling into water in parallel with the handshake graft to keep them going until the graft sets and then cut off the dangly bits.

The idea behind using seedlings was to germ them together  then bind/handshake graft them all together, before cutting them off below the graft leaving one with it's roots intact when they have grafted together.

All variations on a theme at the end of. Could be a complete waste of time although I always learn something new when experimenting, but hey ho, I'll give it a go, you never know ;)

• 2scoops, duke and Ken Erbis like this

#14 Ken Erbis

Ken Erbis

Green fingers, bad back

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

As they say nothing ventured nothing gained. Every mickle mek a muckle

Edited by Ken Erbis, 20 March 2017 - 01:32 PM.

• Budgie, duke and Dex like this

#15 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Every mickle mek a muckle

I'll have to remember that one :) 

• duke, Ken Erbis and Dex like this

#16 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

The idea behind using seedlings was to germ them together  then bind/handshake graft them all together, before cutting them off below the graft leaving one with it's roots intact when they have grafted together.

How would that be different to grafting them all onto a single rootstock? :unsure:

#17 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

How would that be different to grafting them all onto a single rootstock? :unsure:

Because they're all fully alive so more chance of it working. Along with soft, fast growing stems which would hopefully graft quicker and more in tandem/as one so to speak.
  • Dex likes this

#18 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Because they're all fully alive so more chance of it working. Along with soft, fast growing stems which would hopefully graft quicker and more in tandem/as one so to speak.

Fair enough - I get that :)

I think I was under a misapprehension, and that you wanted some sort of 'hybrid' root system rather than just those from one plant.

#19 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Fair enough - I get that :)

I think I was under a misapprehension, and that you wanted some sort of 'hybrid' root system rather than just those from one plant.

That was just the first Brain Fart idea missy :)

I've been like the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band's Lead Trumpet Player since then ;)

• Dex likes this

#20 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band

I'm not familiar with them, but I reckon you'll probably know this bunch ;)

• Budgie and Dex like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.