Photo
- - - - -

Are bottled organic ferts really organic and safe to use ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Are any of this stuff marketed as Organic really organic, would it not be telling more of the truth if the bottles were labelled part organic ? Why i ask is cus minerals is minerals whether in mineral (chemical) based ferts or organic based. Tis just summink thats got cogs turning in my head today, cus phosphorous is a mineral no matter what in`t it, it`s certainly not organic and that applies to other things in these ferts that`s bottled and labelled organic, i mean they also got iron in, is that organic, hmm me thinks not. So my question is > well is it just one big con ?

Another thing they add to these ferts to prolong shelf life is preservatives and if i was to bet i would think they use parabins as a preservative, possibly the same shit used in processed food we may or may not eat, but yes a widely used one would be called methylparaben used in cosmetics as well, but if it`s not that then some other shitty parabin, but are all parabins carcinagenic to humans ?  said mentioned is. I`m  pretty sure that`s right :) . But yes again is it all one big con especially if growing with pre-bought bottled organic ferts. I mean if using organic bottled ferts is it safer to use pure mineral based ferts as we know certain parabins cause cancers do minerals cause cancer. What`s your thoughts on all that guys ? I`m just slinging things out their that keep popping into my head, hence x 20 edits lol. Cheers. :)

Edited by jimmi2scoops, 23 April 2017 - 10:51 AM.
stuff just keeps popping into my head :)

• Budgie, duke, Solo Quin and 2 others like this

#2 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Here`s a good read about preservatrives added to liquid based organic ferts http://thcbiomed.com...uid-fertilizer/ take note guys none (very rarely) are added to chemical based ferts cus the mineral salts do that for ya, yet shit added to organic pre-made ferts their looks to be some nasty carcinagens used as preservatives. I mean who`s to say they can`t add them, it`s hardly a regulated business is it ?

• Budgie, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#3 Bubonik Chronic

Bubonik Chronic

Smeghead

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

As a rule I dont class em as proper organic,there are in a fashion as I dont flush at all and dont have any manky taste but lets be right oldtimers isnt going to produce the same beneficial as a properly built organic soil but its just easy as fuck not even any mixing.in fairness iv never used mineral based liquid feeds as most of my growing has been on a guerrilla tip in the wilderness using eithr powdered blood fish an bone with some batshit topdressing in the ground or oldtimers in buckets,indoors its been all oldtimers.
  • Budgie, 2scoops, duke and 2 others like this

#4 2scoops

2scoops

Pot-Ted

• Respected User
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yes it`s just got my nut ticking like a bomb has all this mate. I mean are these bottled organic ferts really better (safer to use) than bottled mineral based ferts. Thanks @Bubonik Chronic :)

• Budgie, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#5 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

hi jimmy and all i have experimented with many bottled feeds and have done some chemical feeds up myself in the past and i have allways been of the opinion that keeping it simple works best for lazy growers (like me)and in that respect chemical ferts are if used correctly far easier for beginners esp.

ime of so called organic products is every bottle will differ from the last so will the way the plant responds to this they do have a shorter shelflife and without additives stink and go rancid quickly due to natural enzymes a byproduct of composting and microbes etc need more careful management than can be found in a processed fert in a plastic bottle,most are not truly organic and often a mix of mineral and chemical along with chelates and trace elements being mostly absent or not in a form readily available to roots without the plants microherd working for them.

imo chem nutes from a good maker with the main criteria to me being consistancy of product ie each bottle must be same exact as the last everytime so i stick with the dutch pro range as it is good quality everytime and never changes,plus its a lot cheaper,peace

• Budgie, 2scoops, Solo Quin and 2 others like this

#6 Anonymiss

Anonymiss

♥ Maverick ♥

• Respected User
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

cus minerals is minerals whether in mineral (chemical) based ferts or organic based

Here's a thought...

Bones are largely made of calcium (a metal).

If I use bonemeal as a fertiliser, am I adding organic material or an inorganic mineral?

they also got iron in, is that organic, hmm me thinks not

Blood cells use an iron-based compound (haemoglobin) to transport oxygen... If I use blood as a fertiliser, am I adding organic material or an inorganic metal?

I think what I'm saying is, fertiliser labels seem to list what's available/useful to the plants, not where it comes from (and they must, by law, state the NPK ratios).

#7 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

They may well be carcegenic compounds in them jimmi but your not drinking the stuff or using it to bathe in.

If any dodgy chems are in the nutes are they actually going to be passed up through the plant into the food (Smoke) chain to cause any possible health problems?

Isn't organic more about methods of production of the nutes and using narurally ocurring organisms to break down the nutes and feeding them to the plant. Whereas chemical nutes bypass all that and feed the roots directly. So there may not be any dodgy compounds transferred organically grown whereas if they are in chemical based nutes they are absorbed directly.
  • 2scoops, duke, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#8 duke

duke

budding cannabis chemist

• Moderators
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

They may well be carcegenic compounds in them jimmi but your not drinking the stuff or using it to bathe in.

If any dodgy chems are in the nutes are they actually going to be passed up through the plant into the food (Smoke) chain to cause any possible health problems?

Isn't organic more about methods of production of the nutes and using narurally ocurring organisms to break down the nutes and feeding them to the plant. Whereas chemical nutes bypass all that and feed the roots directly. So there may not be any dodgy compounds transferred organically grown whereas if they are in chemical based nutes they are absorbed directly.

tbh i do not think the biggest dangers come from ferts much more come from pesticides esp on mass produced weed there the worst imo comes from moulds/spores/fungi etc coupled with poor drying no curing and poor storage another good reason to grow your own imo!

organics has become a goldmine and as such with little controls the more unreliable nute makers will certainly be cutting costs and quality when it comes to ingredients and there what makes the cake,happy shopper nutes i can see it now!peace

• Budgie, 2scoops, Solo Quin and 1 other like this

#9 TIKTOK

TIKTOK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Good points Jimmi and very thought provoking.

The road I live on divides an organic dairy farm and an arable farm that uses chem nutes and pesticides.  There's less than 5 meters between a crop of wheat and a field growing organic silage for the dairy so the organic industry must allow for a degree of cross contamination.  If you buy a carton of organic milk and trace it back to the field where the cow's food was grown I reckon it would be impossible to avoid contact with chemicals so there must be tolerances.  

So I suppose the same goes for organic nutes we grow with, I doubt any of the mass produced stuff is truly organic but they can get away with selling it organic if x percent of it is, or was organic at one point in the process.  

#10 Budgie

Budgie

Trill Seeker

• Respected User
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Makes me wonder, if you get a compost tea on the go, load it with AnB, pk13/14 and boost and let it brew. Is the finished tea still considered organic?
  • 2scoops, duke and Solo Quin like this

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.