Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationHaven't got a fucking clue...

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi folks, as you may know I have a couple of plants that were destined for outdoors but ended up staying inside and put on an auto pot system thanks to the frosts going on longer than normal (and me probably being a bit eager).

Now I think one of them may have a problem. She's yellowing up at a rate of knots, literally gone from healthy last night to sickly today.

I got her out of the tray and started a flush, but the EC out was 0.1 above my background, so I reckon she's not locked out.

Temps have been 30*C over the last few days As I've had to get the dehumidifier in there.

I did notice a faint whiff of stagnant water when flushing, but the roots out the bottom of the pot are white and the smell soon went with a bit more water through her.

She's nowhere near cooked enough and I don't know how old she is? 

If it is root rot, you guys n gals reckon I can keep her going till chop? Or should I just kill it with fire and move on?

Attached File  DSCF2870.JPG   93.21KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2869.JPG   140.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2867.JPG   180.35KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2866.JPG   160.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2865.JPG   64.07KB   0 downloads

The other plant as a healthy colour guide. Attached File  DSCF2868.JPG   183.05KB   0 downloads

Stupid sideways camera pictures.  :huh:

:)

• The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops, duke and 7 others like this

#2 Gary C

Gary C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hi mate!

Not sure why it's happened but when mine in my recent grow went similar to this I gave aload of seaweed extract as recommended and it stopped any further yellowing dead in its tracks as well as greening up the new growth too.

Whatever happens you may aswell stick it out and see it out as she's come so far :)

Edited by Gary C, 17 May 2017 - 01:51 PM.

• The Dude Abides, duke, Zipp and 8 others like this

#3 Forest

Forest

growing hard

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

id say heat damage and it locked out sth it wants so has used it from the leaves? reset the pot  and bring the temps down ,   it will go on to finish,  you have gone this far defo not chuck it out , root rot tend to show first in odd defs here and there and all defs show in the end , and if the roots are white they arent rotted,  you can also tell by pulling one of the roots if it leaves a hair like strand and the out casing pulls off then thats rot 

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, jimmi2scoops and 10 others like this

#4 Mrs Willy

Mrs Willy

Flump no1

• Administrators
  • 4,913 posts
  • LocationOff Arse

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

If it were me, id pour in additional mag and nitrogen. Worth a flush as well, but not sure how to do that in hydro. As forest says "reset pot".

The yellowing leaves look like mad flowering resulting in lack of n. The curling up of leaves suggest Mag def.

Normal for underfed plants to seek mag and n at this stage, but i would also suspect lockout as well.

in soil i flush, reset the muck to no food, then pipe in a good dollop of feed, including additional mag and N.

Hope this helps. She looks about week 4-5 to me and hungry.

• duke, Zipp, denots and 6 others like this

#5 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hi mate!

Not sure why it's happened but when mine in my recent grow went similar to this I gave aload of seaweed extract as recommended and it stopped any further yellowing dead in its tracks as well as greening up the new growth too.

Whatever happens you may aswell stick it out and see it out as she's come so far :)

id say heat damage and it locked out sth it wants so has used it from the leaves? reset the pot  and bring the temps down ,   it will go on to finish,  you have gone this far defo not chuck it out , root rot tend to show first in odd defs here and there and all defs show in the end , and if the roots are white they arent rotted,  you can also tell by pulling one of the roots if it leaves a hair like strand and the out casing pulls off then thats rot 

If it were me, id pour in additional mag and nitrogen. Worth a flush as well, but not sure how to do that in hydro. As forest says "reset pot".

The yellowing leaves look like mad flowering resulting in lack of n. The curling up of leaves suggest Mag def.

Normal for underfed plants to seek mag and n at this stage, but i would also suspect lockout as well.

in soil i flush, reset the muck to no food, then pipe in a good dollop of feed, including additional mag and N.

Hope this helps. She looks about week 4-5 to me and hungry.

Thanks folks, I'm gonna have a look into it tonight. 

Looking at dates, I reckon she's about day 52, Dinafem Fruit auto. Website says 60-65 days life cycle...  :rolleyes:

I've dumped some PK13/14 in the res at lunchtime, and readjusted ph to 6. 

Ec feed is 1.2, Background 0.5. When I started a flush I was getting 0.6 out, so there's no salt bild up for sure.

Got the temps down to 28. Had to drop the 400 to run at 275w. 

I'll report back after my lonely meal for one. (The wife is out so I got pizza and wine)

• The Dude Abides, duke, Zipp and 7 others like this

#6 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

Oops, forgot about the plant. 

Left her with a tap head dribbling through the coco in the sink, then went to play Fallout 4 on the playstationdooberywotsit with a glass of red.

Anyway, will a 3 hour flush suffice? :huh:

I'm thinking it's just full steam ahead on this one till flush n chop time now.

:chuchu:

or  :flog:

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, denots and 5 others like this

#7 Dekay

Dekay

Easily distracted by Swilly

• Administrators
  • 11,917 posts
  • LocationI am here

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:27 PM

DO you include background in the 1.2 feed marc if it came out at 0.6 it is well hungry or was that just plain water when you flushed came out at that, and duke always says to not include background when its higher BG ec anyway, mines 0.1 so neither here nor there for me but do you feed at 1.7 to hit the 1.2 or feed at 1.2 with BG. Its not mainly at the top is it, the bottom yellowed first? The one and only time I had problems in coco was when my meters were wrong, you calibrated recently, I would flush (you have) then try a higher ec feed and test run off after checking meters are correct. Hope you well anyway I sort of like these little mysteries, sometimes they never get solved but one thing in common bar water grows, they still get to end fine :)

• jimmi2scoops, denots, jackball17 and 5 others like this

#8 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

DO you include background in the 1.2 feed marc if it came out at 0.6 it is well hungry or was that just plain water when you flushed came out at that, and duke always says to not include background when its higher BG ec anyway, mines 0.1 so neither here nor there for me but do you feed at 1.7 to hit the 1.2 or feed at 1.2 with BG. Its not mainly at the top is it, the bottom yellowed first? The one and only time I had problems in coco was when my meters were wrong, you calibrated recently, I would flush (you have) then try a higher ec feed and test run off after checking meters are correct. Hope you well anyway I sort of like these little mysteries, sometimes they never get solved but one thing in common bar water grows, they still get to end fine :)

Yeah deeks, feed all in is 1.7EC. Meter's are calibrated weekly after my issues with the truncheon. :angry:

Yellowed all over in one hit, she's still standing this morning.  :) I cut all the crappy leaves off last night and she looks nice today, albeit a bit light in colour! 

I'm thinking it's down to the real high temps, might have affected the rootzone.

She smells a bit like an aquarium does, not a stagnant smell just a wet one. That kind of whiff you get when looking around the tropical fish section in the local pet shop.

• Dekay, jimmi2scoops, denots and 3 others like this

#9 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Yeah deeks, feed all in is 1.7EC.

Yikes!
  • jimmi2scoops, denots, Marc and 2 others like this

#10 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

Yikes!

1.2 grub and tap water is 0.5... It's about 2.5ml/l A+B.

:dontknow:

• denots, Dutchy, Chew and 1 other like this

#11 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

1.2 grub and tap water is 0.5... It's about 2.5ml/l A+B.

:dontknow:

It's 1.7 imo

I don't understand this whole thing about not including your base Ec? I have always included mine and never go over 1.1 in total. Every strain is different, i know that, but in all my growing experience so far, i've never got anywhere near these numbers. It just seems excessive to me.

I could eat 2 whopper meals, but i dont need to. And if i did every day, it would eventually lead to problems...

• jimmi2scoops, Zipp, denots and 5 others like this

#12 Cheeseman

Cheeseman

boerenkaas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationNext door

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

Simple chew
Remember different parts of the country have different types of water e.g. Hard soft.

If a man in Manchester puts his truncheon in his water bucket he will get an EC reading i.e. 0.6
If a man in Northampton puts his truncheon in his water bucket he will get an EC reading I.e 0.1

Now the average plant from what I've read likes feed at approx EC. 1.2

The man in Manchester has 0.6 EC base will add enough nutrient until his meter reads 1.8 EC

The man in Northampton has 0.1 EC base will add enough nutrients until his meter reads 1.3 EC

Now if I'm right the the soft southerner and the northern monkeys are both feeding there plants at 1.2 EC

Oh and my water has no reading at all the only way I can get a base measurement is with the addition of silicon I always add this first and leave for 24 hrs,then dip me truncheon and get a 0.2 EC and so I mix to 1.4 EC
  • denots, jackball17, Marc and 2 others like this

#13 denots

denots

Oily days and Oily nights, love it.

• Moderators
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCouch locked

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Looks like Nitrogen def and hungry to me, plants do suffer from N def in flower and specially near the end of the grow. 

I always take my BG ec into consideration and usually feed my girls 1.0 ec in hydro, but have taken them to 1.2 ec on occasions.

When me truncheon went tits up I was feeding at around 3.0 ec for a while, and it caused all sorts of problems.

• jackball17, Marc, Dutchy and 2 others like this

#14 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Simple chew
Remember different parts of the country have different types of water e.g. Hard soft.

If a man in Manchester puts his truncheon in his water bucket he will get an EC reading i.e. 0.6
If a man in Northampton puts his truncheon in his water bucket he will get an EC reading I.e 0.1

Now the average plant from what I've read likes feed at approx EC. 1.2

The man in Manchester has 0.6 EC base will add enough nutrient until his meter reads 1.8 EC

The man in Northampton has 0.1 EC base will add enough nutrients until his meter reads 1.3 EC

Now if I'm right the the soft southerner and the northern monkeys are both feeding there plants at 1.2 EC

Oh and my water has no reading at all the only way I can get a base measurement is with the addition of silicon I always add this first and leave for 24 hrs,then dip me truncheon and get a 0.2 EC and so I mix to 1.4 EC

I'm well aware of Ec in soft and hard water but i disagree with not including the base. My base is 0.6, NEVER would chuck 1.8 through mine. Perhaps my tap water is just super duper compared to others with the same base as 1.8 would fuck my plants...

• jackball17, Marc, Dutchy and 1 other like this

#15 Cheeseman

Cheeseman

boerenkaas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationNext door

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

0.6 base
Add nutes up to 1.1
0.5 EC
Sorry chew new to forums and growing so trying to learn grow and consume use a forum no offence ment good buddy
If I'm wrong pls someone put me right
Ta

#16 Chew

Chew

Bio Bomber

• Respected User
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationKashyyyk

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

0.6 base
Add nutes up to 1.1
0.5 EC
Sorry chew new to forums and growing so trying to learn grow and consume use a forum no offence ment good buddy
If I'm wrong pls someone put me right
Ta

Nothing to be sorry about mate :)

Every plant i've grown thrive on a total Ec of 1.0 - 1.1. I don't have Ph issues, salt build up or defs.  From passed experience with feeding a higher Ec, it just leads to problems for me.

In flower, i chuck 4 litres through each pot so in my bucket, which has 8 litres in, i add 10ml of A&B to that 8 litres. When i'm adding silicone and PK etc, i drop it down to 5ml (ish) so my total is 1.0

#17 jimmi2scoops

jimmi2scoops

Drinking, debauchery, shouting obsenities across bar is my game

• Moderators
  • 12,682 posts
  • LocationMoon

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yeah deeks, feed all in is 1.7EC. Meter's are calibrated weekly after my issues with the truncheon. :angry:

Yellowed all over in one hit, she's still standing this morning.  :) I cut all the crappy leaves off last night and she looks nice today, albeit a bit light in colour! 

I'm thinking it's down to the real high temps, might have affected the rootzone.

She smells a bit like an aquarium does, not a stagnant smell just a wet one. That kind of whiff you get when looking around the tropical fish section in the local pet shop.

Mate you should always leave your taps open 24/7 and just pop a small drip bucket underneath, soggy roots wont help, nowt down for funki smelling rootage thats soggy as feck and it will be if feeding daily and not leaving taps on you donkey. But some good advice on flushing and shit like that to reset the medium. To me it looks like you got more than one thing going on in problem menu. But yes get those taps open mukka and feed every few days for next few or three feeds just to give rootage some drying time down low now. :)

Maybe get some h202 here and add that to every other feed if your worried it`s root rot that will get you to the end no worries, so use it 3 or 4 times weekly, but follow instructions on bottle cus theirs different strengths of the stuff, also use it afterwards to clean the system. Clean your room with spray bleach as well too cus root spores are airborn, spores are hardest thing to get rid of bro, maybe a fortefog bomb in youir room before cleaning when plants are down, but yes that h202 will help bulk up the buddage pretty much so as well by adding shed loadsa oxygen for plants, they love it. I think by not having taps open that has been a big factor in how plants is looking now, caused by soggy rootage. :)

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, jackball17 and 3 others like this

#18 Cheeseman

Cheeseman

boerenkaas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationNext door

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Sorry back on subject would canazym help
  • jimmi2scoops, jackball17, Marc and 1 other like this

#19 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Mate you should always leave your taps open 24/7 and just pop a small drip bucket underneath, soggy roots wont help, nowt down for funki smelling rootage thats soggy as feck and it will be if feeding daily and not leaving taps on you donkey. But some good advice on flushing and shit like that to reset the medium. To me it looks like you got more than one thing going on in problem menu. But yes get those taps open mukka and feed every few days for next few or three feeds just to give rootage some drying time down low now. :)

Maybe get some h202 here and add that to every other feed if your worried it`s root rot that will get you to the end no worries, so use it 3 or 4 times weekly, but follow instructions on bottle cus theirs different strengths of the stuff, also use it afterwards to clean the system. Clean your room with spray bleach as well too cus root spores are airborn, spores are hardest thing to get rid of bro, maybe a fortefog bomb in youir room before cleaning when plants are down, but yes that h202 will help bulk up the buddage pretty much so as well by adding shed loadsa oxygen for plants, they love it. I think by not having taps open that has been a big factor in how plants is looking now, caused by soggy rootage. :)

It's in an auto pot system Jimmi, so the res is constantly open, the float valve just calls for more when needed.

I left it in the sink with the tap running through it for a flush and forgot about it.

I think the root zone has got too hot is the issue and has caused some funky stuff going on. 

Other plant looks cock on though, same res, same tray, same temps. 

I dunno, maybe she is just finishing up early, she is a big beast though. 

• jimmi2scoops, jackball17, Dutchy and 2 others like this

#20 Marc

Marc

Has dirty fingernails

• Respected User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Think I may have found the smelly problem anyway. 

The feed tank had some stuff starting to grow on top of the water (looks like a bacteria under a torchlight). The damp aquarium shop smell is from the tank.

Just cleaned it and refilled with an EC of 1.2 including my background 0.5 tonight. 

Will report back on my findings.

:boss:

• Dekay, The Dude Abides, jackball17 and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with farty bits

IPB Skin By Virt
Disclaimer: You must be over 18 years old to view/use this website. T-G-C.nl does not encourage growing cannabis or possessing cannabis, Learning how to grow cannabis is purely for educational purposes. All information on this website is strictly for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and educational purposes. Please check the laws in your own country as T-G-C.nl is in no way responsible for repercussions of accessing the website. All information is stored on a secure server in Amsterdam. We advise all visitors against breaking the law.